Sponsored

What would it take to get you to trade your Wrangler for a Bronco??

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
Just a Hypothetical question. As we all know, the JL is plagued with gremlins, as is the Bronco. But, it's hard to deny the Bronco has some appeal. I like the look of the Bronco, and the Wrangler. Here is what it would take to get me to switch to a Bronco.
1. Put the Coyote 5.0 into it.
2. Solid axles, front and back.
3. A reliable beefy ZF tranny or a nice reliable Stick Shift.
4. Combine it all with a basic minimal electronics off road package.

Leave all the fancy electrical things, touch screens, zone climate controls, heated seats, etc etc, to the mall crawling Soccer Moms. Keep it basic, keep it more affordable. Same goes for the Wrangler.
Sponsored

Red Willy

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Beach High Tide, 2021 2 dr. Willys stick
Occupation
Professional Nobody
1. Put the Coyote 5.0 into it.
2. Solid axles, front and back.
3. A reliable beefy ZF tranny or a nice reliable Stick Shift.
4. Combine it all with a basic minimal electronics off road package.
That's a start.

Philly_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Clubs

I love my JL so much more than I ever thought I would. I was pretty sick of the eventual problems that started with my old JK, and that every time I drove it, it ended up costing me money because something else was worn out or broke, or some weird electrical thing would happen.

I was fully on the bronco train and waited just ~600 days after my order was placed (not the reservation) before I said screw it and test drove a JL. Ordered one a week later and it was in the dealer lot in exactly 45 days. My Bronco didn’t show up for another 4 months AFTER I had picked up my JL!

If the Bronco were a bit narrower, had a solid axle up front, and cost a little less (I think new JL’s are a bit too pricey these days too, and I have a pretty well equipped ‘22 JLR), I’m sure I would have given it a shot.

I test drove a few with the 2.7L and it can scoot! Doesn’t really need a V8, for me, but it would be nice… I would still consider picking one up, but no way could it replace my Jeep. IFS is just way too boring to me.

Jeep Wrangler JL What would it take to get you to trade your Wrangler for a Bronco?? 1708776202244

Jeep Wrangler JL What would it take to get you to trade your Wrangler for a Bronco?? 1708776354840

Sponsored

Sparty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
(Sold) 04 TJ, 21 JTR, 21 JLR
The Jeep is an iconic look (admittedly, the JK was a stretch in that regard).

For some reason the Bronco has already turned stale in the aesthetics department. I pass them now or see them on the lot and they're already boring and tired looking

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
You couldn't pay me to own a Bronco.

I went to test drive a Bronco, twice. The wobbly frameless windows, the swaths of hard plastics, the flimsy assist handles, the fridge magnets Ford passes for fender badges, the irritating Ford chimes...the whole thing made me gag.

Jeep Wrangler JL What would it take to get you to trade your Wrangler for a Bronco?? going-to-vomit

Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
For some reason the Bronco has already turned stale in the aesthetics department. I pass them now or see them on the lot and they're already boring and tired looking
I have to agree.

I live in a small city of 90,000 souls; we never got that many Broncos to start with. But the novelty has already waned in only 3+ years. Bronco styling hasn't aged very well.

Tellingly, you are more likely to find Broncos sitting in other dealers' used lots than on Ford's own lots.

NWJeepr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Rubicon XR
Nothing could get me into a Bronco, short of being given one for free.

I'm not a cross-shopper in that regard, I use my Wrangler and I knew from back in the TJ days that Wranglers are unapologetic about their off-road capabilities, and they're not very comfortable as a family SUV. A lot of people buy a Wrangler for the identity and trade it in after a few years when they become honest about what their needs really are. And that's fine, live and learn.

I regard the Bronco as more Ford Explorer -ish, had Ford kept it body-on-frame, and offered a quasi-offroad package. The Wrangler was never a competitor to the Explorer, and although the Bronco and Wrangler are more alike today, I just see it as a weekend off-roader. It's not appealing to me but I regard them as generally "good" vehicles.

Jeepin_OLB

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLR
Probably never to replace the Jeep because of the IFS. I like trails with high clearance obstacles and IFS doesn't do it for me. I wheeled an Isuzu for years and eventually cut out the IFS and went SAS because I was tired of wheel lifts and breaking cv axles. Ford will never put a solid axle in a Bronco, since nicer ride quality appeals to the masses.

That being said, I would buy a 2 door Bronco with the Sasquatch, but not to replace the JL. I'm no brand loyalist and wouldn't mind having both.
Sponsored