Sponsored

What wording did you use to get a successful price from a local dealer?

TIDALWAVE

First Name
CHUCK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Convertible, 2013 CHEVY SILVERADO, 2018 JLUR
I just received a price from both Dillions and Koons. I would prefer to buy from a local dealer but unwilling to pay what they are asking for. What wording did you use to convince your local dealer to come down to a price similar to those given to you by Dillons and/or Koons?

Update: Did you travel from dealer to dealer discussing the percentage below invoice (with proof of other dealership offers) or did you communicate via the internet?
Sponsored

Last edited:

Jrbrannan

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Ocean Blue 2008 Highlander Hybrid (previously several CJ-7, YJ, TJ, JK)
Vehicle Showcase
I just received a price from both Dillions and Koons. I would prefer to buy from a local dealer but unwilling to pay what they are asking for. What wording did you use to convince your local dealer to come down to a price similar to those given to you by Dillons and/or Koons?
Easy- They said there is no way I could get below Invoice. I showed them 4 out of the 5 pricing sheets from (I held back the one I was planning on going with). They said there was nothing they could do. I told them I would be ordering by a certain date... the day before they called and came down to within $1000 of the best offer. That was still not good enough, just as I was ready to call the dealer and plan travel I get a call from the local dealer and they beat the best price I would have had to travel to get.
It is all about being honest, open and just tell them it is not personal you are just wanting the best deal. You are comparing apples to apples. Some dealers will hate it and go tell you to pound sand, some will see the value in an easy car sale and they will bank on making their Jeep factory bonus.

BTW- I would get as many quotes as you can, the more ammo the better. And then just email or call all the local dealers. Pre-plan what the value of not driving/flying to pick it up is worth. And then make that your bottom line price to buy locally.

Good luck.

Krondor

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL - Punk'n Edition
Build Thread
Link
My advice is the same.

Hunt down several prices on the build you want and don't be afraid to travel. Get bids from local dealers and keep working with the ones that treat you the best.

Also sign up for Tread Lightly a month before you are ready to buy at least. :like:

lonz

First Name
Lonz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Order Jeep Wrangler JL
I actually sent over links to this forum, and other forums, too, showing that many dealers out there are willing to do 5% under invoice, and in some cases, even low than that! One dealer said that I shouldn't believe everything I read on the internet. LOL!

RadicalMatt

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 JKUR 2018 JLU Sahara
I had a guy "Wrangler Rob" tell me that if i could get 5% under invoice to take his card and get him one too so i drove to Station Jeep in MA.
The next day his sales associates called me asking if I was still looking for a Wrangler and I told him that I had already jumped on the 5% below invoice offer and if he wanted to get me Wrangler Rob's info that I would try and get him the deal too.
Its great when a knowledgeable car salesman talks to you like you don't know wtf you're talking about and you can prove them wrong.

Edit: Wrangler Rob had told me the best they could do was $500 over invoice and $3,000 less for my trade in.

Sponsored

$uicide$hift

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
I go to dealer and negotiate my trade in value. The one that can offer me the best value gets the sale.

After that I let them know I have a CDI number for employee pricing and if they still want to make the deal start the order.

:rock:

Matthew/E36

First Name
Classified
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Two Thousand and Eighteen Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
I'd let them know about the Tread Lightly 1% under invoice so they know that's your starting point. Lower than that is gravy IMO. Don't mess with MSRP talk or exact pricing (i.e. package costs, etc.)...just negotiate the percent based on what you think you are ordering.

WutRoad

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Granite JLUSS
I tend to over research the whole thing and come up with the number I'll pay for a certain configuration. I kind of enjoy the negotiation - well, the game where they keep tossing numbers on the table, I keep marking them out and putting my number on there...you get the picture. At some point the 'closer' will show up to tell me why I'm crazy, how the dealership will close if they sell it for that, a offer a few more 'if I get within 1k will you do the deal' counters. Then I make sure they have my phone number, tell them to call me when they are ready, and head for the door. I've had to wait as long as three days for the call, but I end up on my number. (Makes you wonder if I'm bad at coming up with numbers, doesn't it!)

Dealers are used to people coming off their number, so don't be surprised if they act like they aren't going to budge. Sometimes they just need a bit of time to get to the point where they admit they aren't going to make a bigger profit on the sale. Sales numbers count, and making some profit as opposed to no profit is in their vocabulary.

phatjoe

First Name
VJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ram Powerwagon, 2019 Wrangler JL Rubicon
My experience has been different. Anytime I've had a dealership ask for written proof, 9 times out of 10 they've failed at being able to even match my best price....which is always followed by how the other dealership has tacked on fees, that vehicle doesn't really exist, etc.

Absame

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sport
I have no advice - I tried and failed to get local dealers to match price - am on train right now to VA to pick up my new JLU from Farrish Jeep in Fairfax. 6.5% under invoice with affiliate discount!

Sponsored

smithrd65

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited JL. BMW Z4 35is, Tesla Model X90D, Chevy 2500 LTZ
I printed off my companies Mopar discount, Military discount, USAA discount, got a San Antonio resident discount and I also ask for dealer hold back. Sticker price on my Rubicon was 54K purchased $46.3K includes TT&L. Always have your discounts ready printed and in hand. Research is a great part of buying.

Once we settled all of that and it was in writing I presented them with a Bank check. No financing required.

If you don't ask you want get. MOST New vehicles are a want not a need always walk in with that 1st on your list.

If you let the DEALER TAKE CHARGE OF THE DEAL YOU WILL LOSE.
I always let the dealer know up front if you cant meet MY needs I will leave I am the buyer.

jkill

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL 2 Door Rubicon
I printed off my companies Mopar discount, Military discount, USAA discount, got a San Antonio resident discount and I also ask for dealer hold back. Sticker price on my Rubicon was 54K purchased 45K includes TT&L.

What is the USAA Discount?

smithrd65

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited JL. BMW Z4 35is, Tesla Model X90D, Chevy 2500 LTZ
USAA is Military insurance company. Any one can join its good for 700 dollar discount.

I also updated my response had an error sorry

jkill

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL 2 Door Rubicon
I have had the USAA insurance for 30 years... just wondering where I get info on their discount offering.

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
@smithrd65 Ditto on the USAA question. I’ve been a member for years, their insurance rates used to be great, now they’re no longer the best so I switched insurance but I’m still a member. I’m aware of their pricing/buying service. The deals are OK but not great. JT I’m curious about the $700 discount you mentioned. Is this a flat amount on top of any negotiated price? How do you get it?
Sponsored