Sponsored

What wording did you use to get a successful price from a local dealer?

Wanderingwheelz

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport
I suppose I have a different philosophy. I give a local dealer one chance to match the best offers in other parts of the country, and let them know that up front. In short, I say something like, "I just want to be candid. I've done alot of research on what other buyers are purchasing for. I have received 3 quotes at 6% below invoice, including the Tread Lightly discount. I am calling tomorrow to order, but would certainly rather purchase locally to save in travel costs. So if you are willing to match that offer, I will order from you." But I don't care to travel. I saved $15K on a Silverado by flying to Dallas a few years back. But to be honest, the local dealers in my area are not willing to sell at or below invoice. So I ordered my Jeep through Tri-City. It's a 4-4.5 hour drive from here, and I'm getting the deal I want. I wouldn't get hung up on buying locally if it was me.
Exactly. Get the best quote from a high volume out of town dealer. Have them email a scanned copy of it.

Take it in and show it to your local dealer. They know what the new normal is, believe me. If they’re going to survive in the age of the internet they’ll have to get competitive, or die.

I drove 2.5 hours outside of my market to get the best deal. My local dealer knew what had to be done and was unwilling (or unable?) to match it.
Sponsored

RubenZ

First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Website
myjlproject.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford F-250, 18’ Toyota 4Runner
My local dealer sucked asshole. I negotiated TWICE. The First time I actually went in with my trade and told them exactly what I wanted to pay. They were selling BASE SPORT models at 36,820 MSRP. They Didn't WANT TO BUDGE not even 100 bucks. They laughed when I said I wanted to be out the door after Taxes and Fees for 36k.

They made me feel cheap. Flash forward 3 weeks. They sent me text asking if I was still looking. I said "Yes but I'm about to buy one in Houston" They replied "Why not from us". I said "Because you all are almost 3k more expensive"

At this point I even sent them my quote from Houston on the one I actually bought. They said "Wait, my boss can give you a better deal. He will sell it 500.00 over invoice!!! That means we only make 500 profit" To which I replied. "Uh I know what the invoice on that jeep is, and I'm getting it 5% below" I even included copy of invoice LOL> Lets just say they never replied back. They thought I was an idiot and didn't know what the invoice was.

Bottom line, if your local dealer is not willing to work with you. Take your business elsewhere. If thats how they are with the sale, I can only imagine how the rest of their services will be.

old8tora

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK Sport
He will sell it 500.00 over invoice!!! That means we only make 500 profit"
"Invoice" is a fake marketing ploy . Dealer's actual cost is over 20% below MSRP .

#1 for me

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Bright white loaded ordered 9/18 Corvette, z28 Camaro, Mustang GT, Chev z71, GMC Canyon, Yamaha YXZ 1000rss, Yamaha 660 Raptor
Occupation
UAW GM Corvette Assembly Plant QC .
Buying a JL will do that to you : no more money so newly transparently broke .

I thought Peterson's was helpful and decent , as well . ( Dave Smith and Dennis Dillon both confessed they add extra stuff for extra charges, which I don't accept .) If I had the money I would choose Kent at Peterson out of the three of them .

You ought to drive back through Montana and visit the bears .
If you don't mind me asking what does Dennis Dillion supposedly add extra for extra charges ?

Shenanigans

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubi
“I’m not going to pay that”. I also used “also not going to pay that”. Ended with, “this is what I’m going to pay”

Sponsored

old8tora

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK Sport
“I’m not going to pay that”. I also used “also not going to pay that”. Ended with, “this is what I’m going to pay”
Cool .

SouthLeb

First Name
Rame
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUS punk'n
Told them "I don't have to buy a car, I will if you can do .... " and then left.
That's when they texted me quote for 5% below invoice.

sobeit69

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JK Freedom Ed. 2005 Hummer H2 SUT
"Invoice" is a fake marketing ploy . Dealer's actual cost is over 20% below MSRP .
Man would be sweet to find a dealer at 20% off..... I kid you not the wife would have me ordering the Mojito Rubi she wants and the Punkn Rubi I want. She even asked the dealer how much off for a package deal...hahha. I got a good wife. So if any dealers are listening....!!!

cjaama

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
This is correct. The biggest limitation is that you have to be a member of Tread Lightly for 30 days before you can receive the 1%. So if you are ordering a JL, it's not a problem because you apply the discount when you take delivery. If you are trying to buy a JL off the lot, you may not be able to apply it if you want to purchase prior to the 30 day window.
So is the best move to withhold the fact that you are eligible for tread lightly until after you’ve agreed on X% below invoice? Otherwise I’d be worried they’d be willing to give (for example) 5% off, but once they knew I had that extra 1% they’d only offer 4%.

VolCntry73

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2-Door Rubicon JL, 2018 Accord, 2008 Accord, 2007 CRV, 2000 Dodge Dakota
So is the best move to withhold the fact that you are eligible for tread lightly until after you’ve agreed on X% below invoice? Otherwise I’d be worried they’d be willing to give (for example) 5% off, but once they knew I had that extra 1% they’d only offer 4%.
I think you can play it however you want. I was upfront, but many would say something like..."we can do 5% under invoice without FCA affiliate, or 6% off with it." The "going rate" with the top dealers was 6% off with Tread Lightly, so I knew I was right in line with top tier pricing. You are going to get the best pricing with places like Tri-City in Eden, NC (Travis), Superior in Arkansas (Kim), and Koon's in Virginia (Craig). If you are trying to go with a local dealer, they would need to be your baseline. But they know the drill and will generally tell you up front, "we can sell it for $XXXXX, or if you are an FCA affiliate member, we can sell it for $XXXXX."

Sponsored

jazzBox

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL
I suppose I have a different philosophy. I give a local dealer one chance to match the best offers in other parts of the country, and let them know that up front. In short, I say something like, "I just want to be candid. I've done alot of research on what other buyers are purchasing for. I have received 3 quotes at 6% below invoice, including the Tread Lightly discount. I am calling tomorrow to order, but would certainly rather purchase locally to save in travel costs. So if you are willing to match that offer, I will order from you." But I don't care to travel. I saved $15K on a Silverado by flying to Dallas a few years back. But to be honest, the local dealers in my area are not willing to sell at or below invoice. So I ordered my Jeep through Tri-City. It's a 4-4.5 hour drive from here, and I'm getting the deal I want. I wouldn't get hung up on buying locally if it was me.
Hey There.

Is that Tri-City in Eden NC?

I saw that they offer 6% below Invoice on this site.

I live in Wilmington and am going to try to get the local dealer here to do the same, but if they won't I'm prepared to travel.

Thanks..

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR 392 XR, '21 JTR, '21 JLR, '09 JK
My guess is they probably aren't allowed to go too much below employee pricing without getting into some flack with FCA. So I think that's why we're just seeing pretty much the most at 6% below invoice without bank kick backs.

That said I just told my local dealers that I could go to Vegas or Idaho and get 6% under no problem, but that I want to keep the business local (and that it wasn't exactly pulling teeth to get me to go to Vegas). I had two dealers match it (without financing, leasing even), and went with the one that treated me better. The third (airpark) I never made it to pricing.

Oddly enough the first dealer I had ordered my '18 with the sales manager left (Airpark) and my experience changed. I went there to look at a Skytop and check out colors since they are closer to my house. Ultimately it felt like they weren't that interested in my business so I never made it to the price conversation. YMMV. I still recommend them -- every dealership has their good and bad days with people that come and go, and that was my first somewhat negative experience out of 50+ good ones.

Overall it seems like it's pretty easy here in Phoenix to secure that deal. After all, they can order as many as they want. Not like it's a limited production vehicle (though they are limiting the # of Sky Tops a dealer can order).

So as of today at 5:42 PM EST, my '19 JLUR is on order ($59,995) in Billet Silver. I'm still kind of tempted to do Mojito, but man it's just so green. Punk is nice but it's almost too flat of a color. Red was great, but I have a red Jeep already (TJ), and white was nice, but my JK is white. Oh also stainless steel sills showed up on the order wiz on Friday in addition to the plastic ones.

Last edited:

Bilymac

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Ram 2500, 2017 Chevy Tahoe, 2017 Harley Street Glide Special, 2019 Jeep JLRU
My Local Dealer, in Auburn Ca, was a joke. Would not tell me the invoice price on a Rubicon they had on the lot, (even though I had a good idea what it was). Every time I would email him a question, he would reply to my wife, and try to get her to agree to a deal. I called him out every time, but he continued doing it, so I went elsewhere.

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR 392 XR, '21 JTR, '21 JLR, '09 JK
My Local Dealer, in Auburn Ca, was a joke. Would not tell me the invoice price on a Rubicon they had on the lot, (even though I had a good idea what it was). Every time I would email him a question, he would reply to my wife, and try to get her to agree to a deal. I called him out every time, but he continued doing it, so I went elsewhere.
That sucks. Bay area is tough for anything. Too many rich techies near by. When I ordered my M4 back in the day, they were ordering crazy custom configurations in the bay area and then jacking them $15k over sticker and selling every one... even though you could go out of state and get $6k under MSRP.

Bilymac

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Ram 2500, 2017 Chevy Tahoe, 2017 Harley Street Glide Special, 2019 Jeep JLRU
@guarnibl, I emailed about 7 Dealers in CA, and nobody was willing to go below Invoice.
Sponsored