Sponsored

What wording did you use to get a successful price from a local dealer?

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
@TIDALWAVE I plan to get quotes from a handful of the dealers most frequently mentioned on this forum as giving great deals, even if they’re out of state. The price, fees, deposits, etc. to paint a complete picture. Then present them to a number of local dealerships and ask if they can do the same for me. Probably by sending out a group email to them so they can clearly see I’m serious about purchasing and I’m aggressively shopping for the best deal. If the guy down the street wants to make the same amount of money as a dealership across the country it’s a win-win. If not I can spend the money with someone else. I’ve long since stopped playing dealership games. I’m not trading anything in and I’ll already have financing in place. I’ll also offer to use their financing if they can beat my source by at least a quarter point. That gives them another way to possibly make a few bucks of profit.

I’m fortunate that I live in a market where there have been local dealerships that have done deals in the 5-6% below invoice range so hopefully this won’t be hard.

Good luck.
Sponsored

old8tora

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK Sport
If you don't ask you want get. MOST New vehicles are a want not a need always walk in with that 1st on your list.
If you let the DEALER TAKE CHARGE OF THE DEAL YOU WILL LOSE.
I always let the dealer know up front if you cant meet MY needs I will leave I am the buyer.
Totally Cool !

smithrd65

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited JL. BMW Z4 35is, Tesla Model X90D, Chevy 2500 LTZ
Guys call a Jeep dealer and ask them. Keep it simple call. I know I am right I used it.

Wrangles

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR 3.6 6sp Billet
I go to dealer and negotiate my trade in value. The one that can offer me the best value gets the sale.

After that I let them know I have a CDI number for employee pricing and if they still want to make the deal start the order.

:rock:
except ppl are regularly paying below employee pricing for these wranglers.

Wrangles

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR 3.6 6sp Billet
I printed off my companies Mopar discount, Military discount, USAA discount, got a San Antonio resident discount and I also ask for dealer hold back. Sticker price on my Rubicon was 54K purchased $46.3K includes TT&L. Always have your discounts ready printed and in hand. Research is a great part of buying.

Once we settled all of that and it was in writing I presented them with a Bank check. No financing required.

If you don't ask you want get. MOST New vehicles are a want not a need always walk in with that 1st on your list.

If you let the DEALER TAKE CHARGE OF THE DEAL YOU WILL LOSE.
I always let the dealer know up front if you cant meet MY needs I will leave I am the buyer.
First I’ve heard of a USAA discount? I know they have their car buying service through carbuy and you get .50% off your interest rate if you use that service and finance through USAA. Note using that service doesn’t mean you agree to pay what the service spits out, you just use it and generate a certificate for the dealer your purchasing from.

Never heard of a USAA rebate though?

Sponsored

VolCntry73

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2-Door Rubicon JL, 2018 Accord, 2008 Accord, 2007 CRV, 2000 Dodge Dakota
I suppose I have a different philosophy. I give a local dealer one chance to match the best offers in other parts of the country, and let them know that up front. In short, I say something like, "I just want to be candid. I've done alot of research on what other buyers are purchasing for. I have received 3 quotes at 6% below invoice, including the Tread Lightly discount. I am calling tomorrow to order, but would certainly rather purchase locally to save in travel costs. So if you are willing to match that offer, I will order from you." But I don't care to travel. I saved $15K on a Silverado by flying to Dallas a few years back. But to be honest, the local dealers in my area are not willing to sell at or below invoice. So I ordered my Jeep through Tri-City. It's a 4-4.5 hour drive from here, and I'm getting the deal I want. I wouldn't get hung up on buying locally if it was me.

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
I understand that joining Tread Lightly for $100 entitles members to buy 2 FCA vehicles each year for 1% below invoice (someone please correct me if I’m wrong). From some posts it seems that forum members are negotiating their best price, say 5% under invoice, and then adding the Tread Lightly discount on top of that for s total of 6% under invoice. Am I understanding this correctly?

VolCntry73

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2-Door Rubicon JL, 2018 Accord, 2008 Accord, 2007 CRV, 2000 Dodge Dakota
I understand that joining Tread Lightly for $100 entitles members to buy 2 FCA vehicles each year for 1% below invoice (someone please correct me if I’m wrong). From some posts it seems that forum members are negotiating their best price, say 5% under invoice, and then adding the Tread Lightly discount on top of that for s total of 6% under invoice. Am I understanding this correctly?
This is correct. The biggest limitation is that you have to be a member of Tread Lightly for 30 days before you can receive the 1%. So if you are ordering a JL, it's not a problem because you apply the discount when you take delivery. If you are trying to buy a JL off the lot, you may not be able to apply it if you want to purchase prior to the 30 day window.

Goin2drt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubicon, 17 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
Was not successful. Took both the Dillions and Jim Marsh deals to all the SoCal dealers and nada. They all said so pound sand and the demand is so high they will be selling at or over MSRP unless I had Tread Lightly which I did and the best I could get was the 1% below.

Hence that is why I will be going to Vegas in a week or so to pick up my new Rubi. May not even give the local dealers my service business, just do it myself.

crazychile

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Wrangler JK, 2018 Wrangler JLU
I do all my shopping via email. If the dealership has an internet sales manager or fleet manager deal with them. Most of the Jeep dealerships have about the same website template that is used and you just go directly to the contact us page and fill out the form. Start your request for quote letter with "Attn: Internet Sales Manager."..or something to that effect. I have tried emailing Sales Managers directly and they have either ignored or maybe my email went to their spam folders. If the website form requires a phone number, put in the dealers phone number. I seriously did this and they still responded. I don't recommend giving out your phone number until the deal is hammered out.

Time is on your side. Expect that the process might take at least a week. If you try to buy quickly or get wrapped up in the excitement too much, you probably won't get the best deal. But also consider that your time is worth something, so sometimes a local guy that is a few hundred within one of the volume dealers out of state, might still be the better deal for you.

My case:
Dealer #1. Got a quote from one of the known cheap dealers that was about 4 hours from me. 5% below invoice w/ Tread Lightly. Had the quote in a couple of hours after initial inquiry. The $1000 non-refundable deposit didn't set well with me but it wasn't an immediate deal breaker.

Dealer #2. Emailed my salesman from the local dealer that I bought my JK from last year. He could only go down to 3% below invoice OR the 1% below with Tread Lightly, but couldn't combine deals. Despite trying to convince him that they didn't understand how this is supposed to work, he insisted it came from the owner as their policy. So their best price was still $700 more than dealer 1, but with no 8 hour round trip for 2 people on a Saturday which was potential big $$ earning day for my wife. So we were still considering dealer #2 despite the higher price.

Dealer #3. Emailed another local dealer for the heck of it that does not have a stellar reputation. Dealer has been known to be the greasy used car, high pressure type. I had no intention of buying from them based on their reputation, but hoped a cheap quote might persuade dealer #2.
Salesman came back with 5% below invoice without needing any Tread Lightly code. ( I sent him copy of quote from dealer #1 during the few back and forth emails exchanged) Fees were the same as dealer #1 and 2. Emailed dealer #2 back to give them the last shot. Wouldn't budge. Told dealer #3 I'd be in on Saturday (the last day of the month) for a test drive and to put down $250 to order.

Wife and I went in for a test drive and I was still highly suspicious despite having a written quote. The sales kid was actually great and didn't try any BS. He said he realized they didn't have a great reputation and the owner was trying to change that. I never had to deal with any manager, no attempt to up sell. We'll see how it goes when we go in to pick up the JLU, but so far the experience has been very good.

Sponsored

old8tora

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK Sport
So , please give us an update . How did it work out for you ?

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
So , please give us an update . How did it work out for you ?
I haven’t purchased yet. 2019 ordering hasn’t begun yet. Soon.

AZShawn

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
I will be traveling to purchase my 2019 JLUR through Kent @ Peterson’s out of Idaho as soon as order banks open and LEDs are available. We discussed a 2018 over email and pricing was very clear and I felt transparent.

The money I will save will easily cover airfare and make for an amazing adventure home to Phoenix.

Shawn

old8tora

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK Sport
I will be traveling to purchase my 2019 JLUR through Kent @ Peterson’s out of Idaho as soon as order banks open and LEDs are available. We discussed a 2018 over email and pricing was very clear and I felt transparent.
Buying a JL will do that to you : no more money so newly transparently broke .

I thought Peterson's was helpful and decent , as well . ( Dave Smith and Dennis Dillon both confessed they add extra stuff for extra charges, which I don't accept .) If I had the money I would choose Kent at Peterson out of the three of them .

You ought to drive back through Montana and visit the bears .
Sponsored