Sponsored

What winch will mount on the stock Rubicon bumper?

bilash31

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 JKU, '18 GC
I have another dumb question. Can you add a winch to the non steel Rubicon bumpers? I've been trying to educate myself on winch plates, and it seems they actually bolt to the frame?
No, you can't.
Ok. Hope I am not muddying the waters here but let's clarify this. You can't add a winch to a non steel bumper the same way you do a steel bumper. But you CAN do it.
Because let's be honest, other than the fairlead, the winch doesn't get attached to the bumper. It gets attached to the frame behind the bumper. As on JKs I am sure you will shortly see winch plates that mount on top of the plastic bumper and attach to the frame under it. And for even more clarity, or not, you should be able to mount a winch recessed in the plastic bumper, again like on JKs, but that is less common and requires more fab work.
Edit. Sorry just saw Dan's post which I basically say and add upon.
Sponsored

MojitoJLUR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Mojito
Ok. Hope I am not muddying the waters here but let's clarify this. You can't add a winch to a non steel bumper the same way you do a steel bumper. But you CAN do it.
Because let's be honest, other than the fairlead, the winch doesn't get attached to the bumper. It gets attached to the frame behind the bumper. As on JKs I am sure you will shortly see winch plates that mount on top of the plastic bumper and attach to the frame under it. And for even more clarity, or not, you should be able to mount a winch recessed in the plastic bumper, again like on JKs, but that is less common and requires more fab work.
:like: Thank you! I'm just trying to clearly understand this new world I'm joining so I don't waste money on options or miss out on a feature I should have added when I order my JLUR. I appreciate everyone's feedback! Luckily (or unluckily cuz I'm stuck with a rental until) I am waiting for the mojito so I have a few more weeks to learn what I can. I think as of right now, I'm leaning towards the stock steel bumpers because I like the look of them the best, I like simple, and I still can add a winch to it easily. And apparently Maximus makes a winch plate that is cheaper than the Mopar by quite a bit that I would expect they will probably make for the JL as well.

AZCrawl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Granite Jeep JLUR
It might be possible, but not in the same factory way as with steel bumpers.

BillyHW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-
Should I buy winch separately or have Jeep put it in Leese
You will almost certainly pay less if you buy it separately, but it may be more convenient just to have the dealership do it for you.

Sponsored

Aaron

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 C7 Corvette Stingray
The aftermarket will come up with a winch plate that sits on top of it. That's how I did my JK.
Who makes those for the JK, so I can keep an eye out for a JL version? If anyone knows of an option for the JLUR that's already available, please share!

agordon117

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR HellaYella
Depends what winch you want.

JCR offroad has a mount that you can buy now, but it's unclear exactly when it will ship. Warn themselves released a plate that is supposed to ship in the next week or so. And if you want a smaller winch than a Warn Zeon, Rusty's offroad has a mount available to ship now.

Aaron

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 C7 Corvette Stingray
Depends what winch you want.

JCR offroad has a mount that you can buy now, but it's unclear exactly when it will ship. Warn themselves released a plate that is supposed to ship in the next week or so. And if you want a smaller winch than a Warn Zeon, Rusty's offroad has a mount available to ship now.
It looks as though those are all for the steel bumper. We were talking about the stock plastic bumper.

YOKiN

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'65 Impala SS, BMW X5M, 2018 Wrangler JLUR
Occupation
Military
Vehicle Showcase
I just got this winch mounting plate from 4 wheel parts today. https://www.4wheelparts.com/Winches....aspx?t_c=18&t_s=126&t_pt=5734&t_pn=WAR101255 Still expensive but cheaper than the $300+ Mopar option. The Warn "JL ready" winch is out as well. Only difference is that the free spool lever clears the factory steel bumpers when turned. I went with a Smittybilt X20 10,000lbs winch which has also been verified to fit.

wanderer

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlu rubicon. Surfboard. Bare feet, moose drawn air sled, Interstellar time warp space transport fighter
Occupation
Engineering Geologist
Anyone know if the super winch 10k exp will fit

Pn221

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Rubicon
If anyone wants to do Warn Zeon you need to get either the JCR, Mopar or Warn winch plate due to the massive size of the Zeon winch.

I am currently stuck with my Rusty’s winch plate and bought the JCR one which I am installing Monday with my Zeon Platinum winch and really hope I won’t have any clearance issues.
Sponsored