Sponsored

What winch will mount on the stock Rubicon bumper?

MojitoJLUR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Mojito
I went with a Smittybilt. I can tell you from experience they stand by the warranty with no issues. I had a problem text them over a few pic and had new part shipped very quickly.

The Mopar plate is way over price IMHO.
But you are stuck buying it if you have a stock bumper?
Sponsored

RonH

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Ford F-150, 2018 Granite Crystal Metalic JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Retired AF, Now Field Engineer / Site Manager
Vehicle Showcase
I've got a Warn Zeon 10S Platinum sitting in my garage, still in the box from Christmas waiting to be installed...

johnnyp26

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Rubi Hard Rock
This one has been somewhat of a debate for me with my order, I have a Hard Rock which basically came with the same bumper and learned an expensive lesson about the need for a winch plate. Plus if you wanted to add a stinger or bull bar it was another $250 or so, which it will be this time around again. That puts you at $2k for bumpers that while nice are flawed. I love the look of them but I'm going straight to aftermarket this time.

And yes the Zeon will fit, Jeep actually sells a Mopar branded version of the Zeon. That's the winch I have and it's great. I recommend synthetic and if the Jeep is often parked in the sun a winch cover to keep the line from deteriorating. In most winches the difference in price is around $100 between 8k and 10k, so for me I think spending the extra $100 is a no brainer. Just my .02.

Sponsored

MojitoJLUR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Mojito
I have another dumb question. Can you add a winch to the non steel Rubicon bumpers? I've been trying to educate myself on winch plates, and it seems they actually bolt to the frame?

Zoobie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
I've noticed that the steel bumpers on the JL are different than the JK. I was hoping to reuse my Maximus-3 hoop, but the exterior is different and it won't work. Has anyone verified if the internals have changed? For example, the JK hole was off-center and had to be cut for a center mount winch. Is the hole now centered? Is the Maximus-3 winch plate from a JK compatible on the JL?

I wouldn't make any assumptions that JK parts 'just work' :)

AZCrawl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Granite Jeep JLUR
I have another dumb question. Can you add a winch to the non steel Rubicon bumpers? I've been trying to educate myself on winch plates, and it seems they actually bolt to the frame?
No, you can't.

BillyHW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-
Anyone know what the weight ratings are for the Mopar branded ones?

GRAK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubi, Corvette
Clubs

has anyone seen photos of jl w/ winch? or w/ steel bumper end caps removed?

Sponsored

GRAK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubi, Corvette
Clubs

here is one from fred’s show. looks good... could just be the 42”s tho

B4C07079-BC76-4C9F-ACB3-ADAA221B932D.jpeg

wanderer

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlu rubicon. Surfboard. Bare feet, moose drawn air sled, Interstellar time warp space transport fighter
Occupation
Engineering Geologist
Isn’t the monitor one set up like that.? Also read some of the winch test. You’ll be surprised by the results

Hip2u77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mine: '14 JKUR, Hers: '18 JLUR
For rare usage, where you don’t plan to completely unspool the entire length of the cable ever, 8K shall suffice. 10K if you’re planning on a lot of off-road adventures and use
You get maximum pulling when your line is fully unspooled while each layer lowers the amount of pull you have. A Warn M8 will pull 8,000 lbs on the 1st layer but only 6230 lbs on the 4th layer.

With that said, it's worth it to compare specs between the different winches you're looking at. Here's why: I just listed some specs above for that Warn M8, which comes with 100' of cable. Say you decide 8k isn't enough so you spring for the Warn Zeon 10 (10,000 lb) winch. That winch only pulls 6103 lbs on the 4th layer; less than the cheaper M8. Plus, it only comes with 80' of line, which, I guess, in one way is better since you'll get to the 2nd and 3rd layers quicker where it does have more pulling power. Fun little fact.

BillyHW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-
Is there a big difference in the weight and size of the winch from 8k to 10k too?

I've also seen winch bumper kits that require a spacer on the front suspension to prevent the front from sagging too low because of all the extra weight. Will this be necessary with the steel bumper and mopar winch kit? Even if it isn't necessary, will it still be a good idea?

I imagine the steel front bumper + winch is a lot of extra weight way up front compared to the stock plastic bumper.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
The aftermarket will come up with a winch plate that sits on top of it. That's how I did my JK.
Sponsored