What will you buy with your $1k Covid check?

pablo_max3045

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
Occupation
Engineering project manager
I am of two minds on this whole bailout thing.
On the one hand, of course folks should not live beyond their means. Though, in lots of places in the US, even living comparatively cheap requires both people in the household to work. So scrimping and saving is actually pretty hard for a high percentage of people.
Naturally, not all these people can just "invest in themselves" and get a good paying job. Then you would run into the whole supply and demand thing and those jobs would have too many applicants.
Think programmers.
I knew a few guys who got out of my field to study programming since it was the hot thing. When they finished their studies, so did 10 bajillion other guys, which also happened to about the same time most of the US companies were outsourcing all that stuff to India.
No way to predict it though really.
Today, you've got a lot of people who are doing their best to provide for their families. Guys that started their own businesses. American dream actually. Maybe a restaurant, maybe a carpenter or plumber. Lot's of them out there.
Those business, like many, run on a thin a line between red and black.
In this situation, you have the government telling them.. you can't work anymore.
Of course, I get why they are doing it. Eventually most people will get the virus. The point is to make sure not everyone gets it at once. That's how you rack up the big death numbers since there simply isn't enough beds to treat that many people which would otherwise have walked away from it.
Still, it is the government who is making the decision to take their livelihoods without giving them a say in it.
In that respect it doesn't feel like "getting free stuff" to me.

Advertisement

Lil Red

First Name
Jason
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Did anyone actually answer the original question of this thread? I read the first two pages and it turned political real quick. I was thinking about buying some traction boards and still have some money left over.

pablo_max3045

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
Occupation
Engineering project manager
Did anyone actually answer the original question of this thread? I read the first two pages and it turned political real quick. I was thinking about buying some traction boards and still have some money left over.
I think the consensus was alcohol and prostitutes.

Andy2434

First Name
Andy
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Billet JLU Rubicon (SARGE), '20 Mustang GT Prem/M6/PP1/MR
Occupation
Retired/Leisure
If I happen to receive a check, I will apply it to my 2019 Fed income tax bill.

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
I am of two minds on this whole bailout thing.
On the one hand, of course folks should not live beyond their means. Though, in lots of places in the US, even living comparatively cheap requires both people in the household to work. So scrimping and saving is actually pretty hard for a high percentage of people.
Naturally, not all these people can just "invest in themselves" and get a good paying job. Then you would run into the whole supply and demand thing and those jobs would have too many applicants.
Think programmers.
I knew a few guys who got out of my field to study programming since it was the hot thing. When they finished their studies, so did 10 bajillion other guys, which also happened to about the same time most of the US companies were outsourcing all that stuff to India.
No way to predict it though really.
Today, you've got a lot of people who are doing their best to provide for their families. Guys that started their own businesses. American dream actually. Maybe a restaurant, maybe a carpenter or plumber. Lot's of them out there.
Those business, like many, run on a thin a line between red and black.
In this situation, you have the government telling them.. you can't work anymore.
Of course, I get why they are doing it. Eventually most people will get the virus. The point is to make sure not everyone gets it at once. That's how you rack up the big death numbers since there simply isn't enough beds to treat that many people which would otherwise have walked away from it.
Still, it is the government who is making the decision to take their livelihoods without giving them a say in it.
In that respect it doesn't feel like "getting free stuff" to me.
Well said and I concur.

I think this is an extenuating circumstance that is going to be extremely difficult to prep for outside living focused on a pure survival only scenario. There are unnecessary luxuries many of us really don’t need but feel we do though. IE, multiple electronic devices that are $$. It’s a free country though so people are free to fail too. This time around, unlike 08, this truly is unprecedented. In that light I don’t mind a 1 time dispersement to only help bridge gaps between here and the end of this pandemic.

After all this is over, there also needs to be a place to return to work so if the govt can return the taxes paid to subsidize small business all the way down to the mom and pops, it’s necessary in my opinion. Due in no part to many small business owners irresponsibility, some businesses have wider profit margins than others. Many that are less than 10 years old can still have remnants of start up costs they are recuperating that cut into the bottom line or their buying power is still not optimum. There’s just a lot of factors and many small business owners are great financial problem solvers and survivors in that regard. I have no problem returning the money small business paid in. They need to be there when this pandemic is over.

Ogre_FL

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL 2 Door Sport S
Assuming we get them, they will go to paying off the SBA Hurricane/Disaster loan.
Hurricane b4 & After_Page_4.jpg

Halstem1

First Name
Mike
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Like others, if we get one ours will inadvertently pay my tax liability that isn't due until July now. But until then, savings.

Thinman

First Name
Rich
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2019 Rebel 12 and...... a 2012 Prius
we are a consumer nation. the largest part of what makes an economy recover is consumer spending. weather it be jeep parts or hookers & blow, rest assured you will be doing good if the extra cash is spendable income for you.

Hayseed_JLUR

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2015 JKU
we are a consumer nation. the largest part of what makes an economy recover is consumer spending. weather it be jeep parts or hookers & blow, rest assured you will be doing good if the extra cash is spendable income for you.
And make sure you 1099 your hookers so they will pay taxes on their income.

Spartan99

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 JKUX
Straight into the Roth IRA. Don’t have one? It’s a great time to start one.

UtahDirt

First Name
George
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Mojito Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
It’s all personal choice and priorities. All people are free to move and improve themselves that’s the great thing about America. I’m from a small poor mining town in the Northeast. I could’ve knocked up my girlfriend and got a shitty job and had nothing my whole life and blamed others. I decided to get an education move where the economy would reward me and I have the life that I deserve and wanted. I never have and never will live paycheck to paycheck. I pay cash for all my vehicles. I’ve had one credit card since 1988 and I pay it off every month. I don’t buy things I can’t afford and that goes for children. I said NO when a lot of my friends were saying YES and now I’m in a position to not worry. Self discipline and personal responsibility.
How many derivatives of the “I got mine sucks to be you” before everybody realizes it’s not about you. It’s laughable to read this “I did it on my own” what about all those teachers who educated you, do they deserve help because certainly they make less and might need some? How about all the other people who guided your life? Screw them to?

Spank

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2020 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack
If I happen to receive a check, I will apply it to my 2019 Fed income tax bill.
Same here. They're creating this two trillion out of thin air that is only going to further devalue our money, just as it has in the past.

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
Same here. They're creating this two trillion out of thin air that is only going to further devalue our money, just as it has in the past.
If it happens, it’ll be relative to other countries affected as well. It’s quite widespread it seems, some worse than others.