What will you buy with your $1k Covid check?

Gee-pah

First Name
Andy
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
A lot of chatter in here about how people are terrible with their money and should have developed a large nest egg years ago. Y'all must live in an area of the nation where jobs pay a hell of a lot better than they do for most of us. Rarely can a person make enough money to pay all the bills, buy a house, drive a dependable truck, take care of the kids, hit the grocery store for hundreds of dollars in food each month, handle all the misc costs of life, pay insurance, pay for healthcare, AND have enough left over to stash mountains of cash away into a rainy day fund.

In fact, in today's world it's hard to make ends meet for a lot of families when BOTH parents are earning money.

But that's ok, you guys just keep on living your luxury lives looking down on 85% of the population who would cry if they just received one of your paychecks.
This ?\ deserves to be said @WXman, thank you for pointing it out.

But, with it said, this message goes out those doing better financially than this, who may be "renting their lifestyles" a bit too much.

This is a tough pill to swallow. I get it. Please don't shoot the messenger:

Generations before us new of some major calamities. The Great Depression, WW II. These people on the whole learned to save a much larger percentage of their income for rainy days by...wait for it...doing without some luxuries, sometimes necessities.

Sadly society, the internet, and sites like Facebook (and it's not Facebook's fault) have given rise to the "it's all about me," generation who not only don't save, buying materialistic things that have little to no resale or investment value rather than saving, but take out loans (via credit card debt) to further do so.

Clearly--that comment's painted in broad strokes. There are remarkably responsible [young] adults out there too.

For you comes the following message. Financial advisors nearly all concur, if you don't have liquid assets for up to 6 months of living expenses then you probably should prioritize things to build that.

I get it. Life is not certain. We all like nice toys. You can't take the money with you to the other side. And after all the things you're suppose to first fund, from retirement, to life insurance, to disability, it's a wonder there's anything left for food, let alone the occasional vacation or nice vehicle: and we all deserve pleasures now and then.

Maybe those who can, will, once we get through this pandemic, rethink some financial priorities. And for the record, I completely appreciate how the toys we buy for our JLs help feed employees of the firms that make them.

Peace.

No IFS

First Name
Rob
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon 2 Door / 2022 V8 JT Gladiator Mojave
It’s all personal choice and priorities. All people are free to move and improve themselves that’s the great thing about America. I’m from a small poor mining town in the Northeast. I could’ve knocked up my girlfriend and got a shitty job and had nothing my whole life and blamed others. I decided to get an education move where the economy would reward me and I have the life that I deserve and wanted. I never have and never will live paycheck to paycheck. I pay cash for all my vehicles. I’ve had one credit card since 1988 and I pay it off every month. I don’t buy things I can’t afford and that goes for children. I said NO when a lot of my friends were saying YES and now I’m in a position to not worry. Self discipline and personal responsibility.

cosine

First Name
Chris
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
If you’re moving it at this point you’re way too late. Probably should have in the last week of FEB. Be ready to jump back in once good signs are visible.
never really looked into moving anything.at any point in time. it was mentioned at work, which i usually dont listen to. so i was looking at mine and going to leave it alone. i set mine up and leave it along until its time to collect.

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
This ?\ deserves to be said @WXman, thank you for pointing it out.

But, with it said, this message goes out those doing better financially than this, who may be "renting their lifestyles" a bit too much.

This is a tough pill to swallow. I get it. Please don't shoot the messenger:

Generations before us new of some major calamities. The Great Depression, WW II. These people on the whole learned to save a much larger percentage of their income for rainy days by...wait for it...doing without some luxuries, sometimes necessities.

Sadly society, the internet, and sites like Facebook (and it's not Facebook's fault) have given rise to the "it's all about me," generation who not only don't save, buying materialistic things that have little to no resale or investment value rather than saving, but take out loans (via credit card debt) to further do so.

Clearly--that comment's painted in broad strokes. There are remarkably responsible [young] adults out there too.

For you comes the following message. Financial advisors nearly all concur, if you don't have liquid assets for up to 6 months of living expenses then you probably should prioritize things to build that.

I get it. Life is not certain. We all like nice toys. You can't take the money with you to the other side. And after all the things you're suppose to first fund, from retirement, to life insurance, to disability, it's a wonder there's anything left for food, let alone the occasional vacation or nice vehicle: and we all deserve pleasures now and then.

Maybe those who can, will, once we get through this pandemic, rethink some financial priorities. And for the record, I completely appreciate how the toys we buy for our JLs help feed employees of the firms that make them.

Peace.
If only all intelligent, well thought out, and wise plans worked out the way they were intended to.

Notorious

First Name
Kevin
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 TJ Sahara
A lot of chatter in here...
I truly sympathize with you since I understand where you’re coming from. People who’ve never been there can’t understand.

Let me ask you: can you survive by eating less food? Can you cut out cigarettes, gambling, alcohol? Can you downsize your home and expenses? Can you sleep less and work an extra job? Can you use those funds to pay off excess debt? Can you find the time to invest in education for yourself so that you can get more skills and experience that will qualify you for the high paying jobs that you want? Are you willing to invest in yourself?

Are you willing to uproot and do whatever it takes to make you live the life you feel is appropriate for you and your family?

Definitely not passing judgement or even criticizing. Life is very expensive and with temptation to spend everywhere, learning how to prioritize your debts for faster payoff, delaying instant gratification, saying no to opportunities to spend and then reducing the amount of how much of your income goes out in bills will result in you saving money.

Take a look at what you and the other income earner do for a living. See how much your jobs pay you and compare that to the national average. If it pays significantly less, it’s time to uproot. Otherwise I would recommend investing in yourselves, learning new skills and finding work in that field, gaining experience and then going after the better paying role that you want.

No one said it was going to be easy but it is doable if it’s worth it to you.

Punk'n Head

First Name
chris
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jl Sport
Gonna bank mine. Depending on how much actually shows up may do a small project on my house which will inject a couple bucks into local economy. Recently divorced, single dad, rebuilding my savings. Had a nice one till she left. Now i am rebuilding it so that i have a rainy day fund. I only use a CC for gas, and pay cash for food, cigars, and whatever else i get for my son or I. Would i like to spend it on my jeep. sure. But im not. Thankfully my job pays good, and we never close. But id rather have the money in savings, then go out and blow it all. Just in case I catch it, or my son does. IF not then cool, i have more money in the bank. :)

DaltonGang

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
I dont want the check. I dont need the check. Someone has to pay for the "Free Stuff" all of these people are demanding. I have a feeling us working people will be doing that. Free isnt free, if someone else is paying for it folks.

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
This check is more like a tax refund to me. After doing taxes this year, I still had to pay in almost $1000. So I am just getting back what I sent them in February. People are acting like it is free money. It is only free if you don't pay federal taxes. The Feds are still up $22,000+ dollars on me. So Its not free.

roaniecowpony

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Yes - Intruders (A-6), Prowlers (EA-6A & EA-6B) - those were there fun ones. A-10 was USAF so not shot at that. Still thinking about P-38 - I have a successful fried that has one, you never know
About 10 years ago, I flew one of the TF-51s (dual control P-51D) at Kissimmee. Lots of fun. Everything I expected. But a big plane to me. My Pitts makes it feel heavy and intolerant of any pitch exceedance.

Drytellsr

First Name
Dave
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
I dont want the check. I dont need the check. Someone has to pay for the "Free Stuff" all of these people are demanding. I have a feeling us working people will be doing that. Free isnt free, if someone else is paying for it folks.
I agree with you but unfortunately we are still gonna pay for it whether we take the check or not, so like someone said, if you don't need it then invest it make it work for you.

JIMBOX

First Name
JAMES
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 HELLAYELLA JLU SAHARA/2016 "STINGER YELLOW" RAM
I think I'll look for a CHRISTMAS PRESENT for my wife, cause--

That's about the time we're gonna get the checks !

W.E.

JIMBO

pablo_max3045

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
Occupation
Engineering project manager
I am of two minds on this whole bailout thing.
On the one hand, of course folks should not live beyond their means. Though, in lots of places in the US, even living comparatively cheap requires both people in the household to work. So scrimping and saving is actually pretty hard for a high percentage of people.
Naturally, not all these people can just "invest in themselves" and get a good paying job. Then you would run into the whole supply and demand thing and those jobs would have too many applicants.
Think programmers.
I knew a few guys who got out of my field to study programming since it was the hot thing. When they finished their studies, so did 10 bajillion other guys, which also happened to about the same time most of the US companies were outsourcing all that stuff to India.
No way to predict it though really.
Today, you've got a lot of people who are doing their best to provide for their families. Guys that started their own businesses. American dream actually. Maybe a restaurant, maybe a carpenter or plumber. Lot's of them out there.
Those business, like many, run on a thin a line between red and black.
In this situation, you have the government telling them.. you can't work anymore.
Of course, I get why they are doing it. Eventually most people will get the virus. The point is to make sure not everyone gets it at once. That's how you rack up the big death numbers since there simply isn't enough beds to treat that many people which would otherwise have walked away from it.
Still, it is the government who is making the decision to take their livelihoods without giving them a say in it.
In that respect it doesn't feel like "getting free stuff" to me.

TopLift Pros