Sponsored

What will the rollbar (sportsbar) do in a rollover?

BillyHW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-
Does anyone know?

I think they don't call it a rollbar officially because it doesn't actually have the strength to maintain cabin integrity in a rollover, but can anyone confirm?
Sponsored

Bearded_Dragon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito! Rubicon
It will more than likely keep you alive in a mild rollover, at least the front passengers. JKs did ok in rollovers IMO, and the JL was designed with better protection from the start. Will it be as strong as a cage? Hell no. Is it an improvement over previous Wranglers? Yes.

wired

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Red with soft top
Two and a half rolls in my 2016 JK after a near head-on collision dodged and he hit my right rear fender. Protected the inside very well.
IMG_7203-1.JPG

OP
OP
BillyHW

BillyHW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-
Two and a half rolls in my 2016 JK after a near head-on collision dodged and he hit my right rear fender. Protected the inside very well.
IMG_7203-1.JPG
Hey not bad! :captain:

I would have expected a lot worse from that.

AZCrawl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Granite Jeep JLUR
IMG_7203-1.JPG
How was that experience?

Sponsored

wired

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Red with soft top
How was that experience?
Very dizzying. Only injuries was concussion and bruised up left shoulder. From slamming into pillar. Side air bags are an important feature in the JL for me. If there is ever a next time hopefully I'll remember to brace myself before releasing the seatbelt and slamming my head on the asphalt. Took a while to pick the glass out.

AZCrawl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Granite Jeep JLUR
Very dizzying. Only injuries was concussion and bruised up left shoulder. From slamming into pillar. Side air bags are an important feature in the JL for me. If there is ever a next time hopefully I'll remember to brace myself before releasing the seatbelt and slamming my head on the asphalt. Took a while to pick the glass out.
Glad you made it out OK!

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
I think they don't call it a rollbar officially because it doesn't actually have the strength to maintain cabin integrity in a rollover, but can anyone confirm?
They donā€™t call it a rollbar for PR and Legal reasons.

First having a ā€œRollbarā€ would imply that Wranglers Rollover more than other vehicles... otherwise why have a Roll-bar?

Second, like not adding the required safety features like a required cage to a Dodge Demon for a sub 10s car, implying it is a properly reinforced Roll-bar, would mean they are taking on additional liability for peopleā€™s actions, and that it didnā€™t save the occupant(s) when ā€˜rollingā€™ off the road through Glacier park down a few hundred feet, or a backflip off a ridge/obstacle onto the top, despite even a reinforced proper cage folding under similar situation.

It should be better than the JK(U) as it is meant to help meet the roof crush test requirements (2.5x IIRC) of many other vehicles, which was the target as it was believed that the Wrangler (especially the 4dr) might lose its convertible exemption, or that the NHTSA would do away with the convertible exemption all together.

Itā€™s still not as good as a properly engineered and reinforced cage, but likely significantly better than before, and as Wired can attest, that was pretty good to begin with.

BTW, we essentially just adopt the same standards as the US, so wouldā€™ve applied here too;
https://www.tc.gc.ca/media/documents/roadsafety/216_TSD_rev_1R.pdf

ThrillerR1

First Name
Tee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 4Runner V8, 2008 Z06, 2009 R1, 2015 Tenere
If it's not a bolt in part, like the sport bar on my old TJ, then it should help tremendously with rollover protection. Given the "new" roof crush requirements from the NHTSA, I'd say it should hold up great.

Mattyp1214

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2018 JLUR
Does anyone know?

Save your f-in life...

sadass

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
98. 5.9 ZJ 7"LA's F/R locked 2000 WJ DD
Occupation
Semi-Conductor Equipment Tech.
Vehicle Showcase
I would bet 90 percent of the Rubicon owners out there don't even have a clue as to what this jeep off road potential really is. It can hit the pucker factor trails rite out the Box, As some of you know, wheeling at this level of being locked all the way around is not as forgiving and put you in a very bad spot in a heartbeat. I sure hope this sports bar is not all looks and does it job if thing go wrong and we forget to keep the shinny side up
Sponsored