Not open for further replies.

SLORubi

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR; 2019 A4 S-line
A general supply line slow down is also happening. I saw a report just the other night on cargo ships coming to America from foreign manufactures. An example was, 40 plus cargo ships are waiting to dock in LA., a major import point from Asia. Two looking for offloading berth is the norm.
And once the container ships have an open berth, they have to contend with labor shortages to offload and space constraints to fit the offloaded cargo. Itā€™s bad for a lot of industries, not just automotive, weā€™ve seen lead times on some materials triple.
Sponsored

LarryB

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport 2 dr
I work in the auto industry. It is not just the semiconductor issue.

The auto parts supply industry is and has been global for many years.

There are still multiple products that are being hit hard because of COVID impact to work forces.

Some governments are placing strict limits on the number of hours that can be worked as well as the distances that workers can travel to work.

These items along with Material supply issues all adds us to a very fluid and challenging market for Auto Makers.

Basically all Auto makers are impacted in one way or another.
I am in the semi-conductor space and I am glad someone puts out that it is not just us ā€¦ =)

The logistics space is an absolute nightmare, with ports seeing huge backups. Add in factories in Vietnam, China and Taiwan seeing shutdowns/reductions and then add in the added cost of raw components.

I have thought that we could be in this for much longer than most, and the Mercedes CEO echoed the same statements ā€¦. This bodes well if you are buying and selling ANY decent used car, but not if you are buying a new one.

cOtter

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜20 Sahara 2.0L Ocean Blue Metallic, Toyota Highlander & Pontiac G6 coupe
Occupation
Senior Manager PM (Automotive OEM)
I am in the semi-conductor space and I am glad someone puts out that it is not just us ā€¦ =)

The logistics space is an absolute nightmare, with ports seeing huge backups. Add in factories in Vietnam, China and Taiwan seeing shutdowns/reductions and then add in the added cost of raw components.

I have thought that we could be in this for much longer than most, and the Mercedes CEO echoed the same statements ā€¦. This bodes well if you are buying and selling ANY decent used car, but not if you are buying a new one.
It is for certain not one component that is creating the current climate.

Hope all is well.

Kyanche

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
JL Wrangler values have actually cooled off on the wholesale market quite a bit in the last month. They hit peak in April/May and are down significantly from those peaks.
I bet it's because while supply is down, the demand lowered, too. I haven't heard much lately about people going on camping trips and stuff, school's back in session, lots of companies went back to in-office work, etc.

Reminds me of how the local u-haul place has so many trucks right now that they had to park in the street lol.

karynm8621

First Name
Karyn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara

What sector of Semi are you in? I'm in OEM for tooling for Fabs

Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Discussing the actual rate of inflation is verboten; but in evidence everywhere. I do not expect used vehicle values to diminish any time soon, and being down an estimated 7 million new vehicles in 2021 (with more of the same expected in 2022 and possibly 2023), used car values will remain high for a long time.

The laws of Supply and Demand dictate this.
The reason economists refrain from using the word ā€œinflationā€ right now, is because inflation requires a series of widespread conditions that impact the entire economy, and are usually non-reversible ā€”i.e., once prices go up, they donā€™t come down.

Current price increases are confined to specific sectors of the economy, and its causes are tied to (a) COVID, which impacts work and distribution, and to (b) geopolitics, which is impacting semiconductor production. The expectation is that as soon as these conditions work their way through, whenever that is, supply and demand will stabilize and prices will return to normal levels.

Ridgway Jeeper

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR
Occupation
Real Estate Agent
Prices are not coming back down, maybe on a few things that have spiked badly but not in general. Our govt has been spending money like the presses will never run out of ink and the bill will come due. Taxes will have to go up and prices for goods and service will go up with them. They are simply suppressing the inflation talk because it is not politically expedient, it is here.

karynm8621

First Name
Karyn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Prices are not coming back down, maybe on a few things that have spiked badly but not in general. Our govt has been spending money like the presses will never run out of ink and the bill will come due. Taxes will have to go up and prices for goods and service will go up with them. They are simply suppressing the inflation talk because it is not politically expedient, it is here.
They are scrambling again to raise the debt ceiling.

Status
Not open for further replies.