Sponsored

What Will Jeep Do to Stay Ahead in the Off-Road War that is Coming?

emoody007

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon 2.0 Turbo
Vehicle Showcase
I agree that once you enter a certain vehicle price range off road use is highly unlikely. Of course, for some it is a Napoleon thing. Using 4x4 is like using a tool. But, there is something different about those that purchase a Jeep Wrangler. We expect it to be subjected to regular off road stuff. You cannot hide a Jeep Wrangler, it is all about being off road.Otherwise, why have one? I get the Suburban thing. I drove Volvo's because they sit high and feel tough too. I do not use all of my toolbox everyday, but I have the tools ready if needed.
Honestly... The "something different" would be us the fans and the off road enthusiast. Why get one? Like I said there are people who buy pickups and never haul stuff. Or even better, the guy that buys the dually and never tows anything. I agree... Then why buy one? Well... We live in a society where image means everything. Yes for some it's a Napoleon thing. But you really have to think about how many soccer mom's drive these Jeeps? It's not the off road capability but the fact that it's there and people think it's cool. It's not so much the adventure as it is the lifestyle. They can fit the kids in it, haul the groceries, commute to work, they're up off the ground in a cool looking capable vehicle that portrays the active lifestyle and mommy is cool cause she drives a jacked up Jeep and the top comes off. I guess the point I'm making is that it feeds so much more than the way you and I may look at it. The real selling point is the best of all worlds IMHO. You are absolutely right though. I may not use my tools that often but I have a set if needed.
Sponsored

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
I really don't think this is a proper competitor. Until another vehicle can be driven, DOORLESS, topless (in multiple configurations) and even front windshieldless, there is no competition.
That is the allure of a Jeep, well that and the fact that it's a beast off road. Until someone else has a driving roll cage they might as well stop mentioning Jeeps in their "comparison" articles.
That's my 2 cents, feel free to give change :)

wanderer

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlu rubicon. Surfboard. Bare feet, moose drawn air sled, Interstellar time warp space transport fighter
Occupation
Engineering Geologist
True and it won’t be Chevy look at the new blazer. What a fail. Too bad too because it would have been easy to base it on a Colorado zr2. Full lockers. Great suspension Add in a conertablle option That might do it. But instead it is a pos front drive suv with nothing to set it apart from the others. My prediction is the bronco will be the same.

StrikeZ

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
I see the Kia Sorrento commercial on Hell’s Revenge and I remember seeing videos of Renegades on that trail. But still it is a way to claim extreme off road capability.

Sponsored

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
I see the Kia Sorrento commercial on Hell’s Revenge and I remember seeing videos of Renegades on that trail. But still it is a way to claim extreme off road capability.
Yep the Jeep crossovers in Trailhawk trim are pretty good off road. Locking rear differentials and low range transfer cases make for solid grip. The Wranglers advantage is the approach, departure and breakover angles (Plus the Rubicon's Rock-trak transfer and full lockers) that none of the crossovers have.

I remember seeing the Sorrento frequently bashing the rear bumper in that commercial, and at one point it came halfway off.

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
I get a kick out of how Kia throws an SUV on Hell's Revenge like it's this huge deal. Heck, grandma's '88 Buick can do parts of Hell's Revenge.
IMO other SUV makers are trying to capitalize on the Wrangler's massive boom. Heck, even Jeep is trying to capitalize on it with their own Renegade. The Jeep brand is responsible for over 40% of FCA's profit right now. That should give you an indicator of what a hit the JL is.

Now, what FCA needs to do is get that Sorrento, tether it to a stock Rubi and tow it through the parts of Hell's Revenge that it would never be able to do on it's own. That would be a killer, ballsy move on FCA's part.

IMO there is no "Off-Road War" coming. I take that back, there may be one among the other brands but until they come out with a vehicle that can dominate like a Rubi, have a solid front and rear axle, have a three piece removable top, have all four doors come of and be a roll cage on wheels... then they will have their "war".

twisty

First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon White
I was thinking of waiting for the Bronco. The motors options sounded better then jeep, plus it's an american company vs FCA. It is bummer that the most american of vehicles is owned by an enemy in WWII. The jeep was a big part of their defeat. How can that be legal. lol

Ford claims it will have a removable top, 4 doors, and hinted it might have a solid front axle. I cant imagine that they go away from IFS so I went Jeep instead. If they go solid front axle I may feel I have made a mistake with the jeep vs bronco.

tornis

First Name
Nikos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
29er bike
..a 2door JLUR, b pillar a few inches back, factory 35s, tube doors included...

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I was thinking of waiting for the Bronco. The motors options sounded better then jeep, plus it's an american company vs FCA. It is bummer that the most american of vehicles is owned by an enemy in WWII. The jeep was a big part of their defeat. How can that be legal. lol

Ford claims it will have a removable top, 4 doors, and hinted it might have a solid front axle. I cant imagine that they go away from IFS so I went Jeep instead. If they go solid front axle I may feel I have made a mistake with the jeep vs bronco.
So Ford is just as international a corporation as FCA or any other major auto manufacturer.

Sponsored

ChrispyJL

First Name
chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Punk"N JLU Sport s
Occupation
Building Mechanic
If Ford made the bronco like the 70s convertible bronco, and made the doors removable, gave it lockers, sway bar discos and solid axles, that would probably be the only thing to start a war.
But until someone makes a convertible, doorless off road worthy vehicle, there will be no war.

twisty

First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon White
I agree that once you enter a certain vehicle price range off road use is highly unlikely. Of course, for some it is a Napoleon thing. Using 4x4 is like using a tool. But, there is something different about those that purchase a Jeep Wrangler. We expect it to be subjected to regular off road stuff. You cannot hide a Jeep Wrangler, it is all about being off road.Otherwise, why have one? I get the Suburban thing. I drove Volvo's because they sit high and feel tough too. I do not use all of my toolbox everyday, but I have the tools ready if needed.
As someone who uses a jeep as intended, I get the mall crawler crowd.

My jeep TJ is formidably set up, It's pretty much a point and click to most trail obstacles. Had a lot of fun with it on the trail but I had every bit as much fun driving to the local store or coffee shop. Top down and LOVING it. I dont care who sees me or envy's me or whatever, the rig is an absolute hoot to drive.

I like my new JLUR with a hard top and it is fun, but not nearly as fun as a top down 2 door. Maybe if I get the top off of my 4 door I will change my mind. I'll bet guys in 2 door wrangler with that 3.6L 8 speed or manual know what I'm talking about and then some.

The bronco will only come in a 4 door sooooo........

twisty

First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon White
So Ford is just as international a corporation as FCA or any other major auto manufacturer.
huh? Do I really need to say Ford is an american company vs FCA which is Italian? Yes, they all sell internationally, what's your point?

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
huh? Do I really need to say Ford is an american company vs FCA which is Italian? Yes, they all sell internationally, what's your point?
That they're all international companies and not just solely American that's my point. Ford not only sells internationally, they have far more manufacturing facilities overseas then they do in our own borders. Its the same with FCA, and just because Fiat is the overall owner it doesn't make Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep and Ram any less American. Fiat itself barely has any market share here in the US, whereas the Renegade (same as the 500x, minus the trailhawk) far outsells all combined Fiat models. Honestly the FCA partnership has greatly expanded the American (CJDR) branded vehicle sales in Europe far better than the Daimler-Chrysler years ever did.

Joe Paul

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
I’m curious what everyone’s thoughts are around what Jeep will do to combat the competition it will face soon. The muscle car war drove incredible competition which led Chevy to bring back the Camaro and launch a ZL1; Dodge tried to end the argument with the 700+HP Demon, but Ford is set to release a GT500 that should beat them all….for now.

The same competitive forces are turning to the off-road world and I LOVE IT! The Tacoma TRD Pro, the Chevy Colorado ZR2, now the Ford Ranger Raptor. In about 2 years the SUV market will see the same.

The Toyota 4Runner is due (probably overdue) for a complete redesign- and the new TRD Pro’s already come with snorkels for the first time noting an uptick in their game. Ford is set to release the Bronco in 2020 and Land Rover is bringing the Defender back to the U.S for the first time since the 90s.

Bottom line- our beloved Jeep Wrangler will face more competition in about 2 years than it has faced in the last 20+.

They will have to do something to keep the momentum. What do you think it will be?

1. A Hemi V-8? -people pay $25K for this aftermarket- how many would buy it if it came from the factory?;
  2. An independent suspension, Sandstorm concept-type of “fast-off-road” style Wrangler comparable to a Raptor set-up?;
  3. A re-release of the Hard Rock Rubicon with more substantial off-road upgrades? What would they be?;

Any other ideas?
In my opinion, Jeep is in a class by itself and continually improve. Loyal owners and admirers will keep it going.
Sponsored