Sponsored

What Will Jeep Do to Stay Ahead in the Off-Road War that is Coming?

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
But, the question isn't what everyone wants, it's what draws people to the Wrangler. Sounds like your wife wasn't a Wrangler shopper in the first place.

The Wrangler has 3 areas of romantic appeal going for it: removable top/doors/windshield, off-road freedom, and a sense of history. It helped win a war and hasn't changed much, visually, since.

Absent those, it's a meh vehicle, so the question is where they stand in relation to each other. Maybe Jeep knows, but I don't think we do.
And my wife appreciates all three of those things, but she wanted more of an all or nothing approach. Top on, minimize road sounds. Top off, no doors no problem.
Sponsored

Covfefe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUSS
Can't agree--you gotta stop and smell the roses-

Highways are for speed !

Whatever

JIMBO
You do realize with IFS you can go fast off the highway right?

Stop and smell the roses? More like I like to smell my own farts cause I’m too slow

MrJeepNut

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1980 CJ-7, 1997 TJ, 2018 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
It's successful because it is a true 4-door. Not because it is a good off-roader and certainly not because it is a Rubicon. The 2-door is only about 20% of Wrangler sales. And the Rubicon is also a small percentage of Wrangler sales.
As I've said, the Rubicon and 2-door sales numbers don't matter. The image does. The Rubicon and the 2-door support the tie to the heritage, they're not going away anytime soon, unless some short-sighted bean counter gets his/her way at Jeep.

Yes the Rubicon is a marketing halo and a similar trim level may have helped the FJ get a little more street cred. But if all Jeep did was sell 2-door Rubicons, or 2-doors at all for that matter, it would have gone the way of the FJ by now.
I'm not sure where you think I said that Jeep should sell only Rubicons, or only 2-doors, or only solid front axles for that matter. But even if they did, the Wrangler would still be alive and popular, just maybe not wildly so, as it is now.

If Toyota had done a mid-cycle refresh and improved the interior and given it better powertrain options with improved efficiency and a little more fun factor maybe it would have had a chance. They really didn't make an effort to keep it modern and competitive.
Perhaps true, but if they had given it all the features it needed to go head-to-head with the Wrangler, they might have really had something.

It was like an offorad version of a PT Cruiser.
:giggle::cwl::facepalm:

I'm sure glad you're not in charge at Jeep headquarters. As witnessed by the recent record sales, the "stick to the heritage" strategy has worked wonders for the Wrangler to date. Unlike most car models, the Wrangler has a cult following that helps drive sales through good times and bad. Lose that following by paying attention to only the mass market, and you're toast.

Although I like where the Wrangler is now and, for the most part, where it seems to be headed, I would still like to see a true, head-to-head competition for the Rubicon, both to keep prices in check, and to assure that Jeep doesn't go soft on the Wrangler in its efforts to chase that mass market.

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
As I've said, the Rubicon and 2-door sales numbers don't matter. The image does. The Rubicon and the 2-door support the tie to the heritage, they're not going away anytime soon, unless some short-sighted bean counter gets his/her way at Jeep.

I'm not sure where you think I said that Jeep should sell only Rubicons, or only 2-doors, or only solid front axles for that matter. But even if they did, the Wrangler would still be alive and popular, just maybe not wildly so, as it is now.

Perhaps true, but if they had given it all the features it needed to go head-to-head with the Wrangler, they might have really had something.

:giggle::cwl::facepalm:

I'm sure glad you're not in charge at Jeep headquarters. As witnessed by the recent record sales, the "stick to the heritage" strategy has worked wonders for the Wrangler to date. Unlike most car models, the Wrangler has a cult following that helps drive sales through good times and bad. Lose that following by paying attention to only the mass market, and you're toast.

Although I like where the Wrangler is now and, for the most part, where it seems to be headed, I would still like to see a true, head-to-head competition for the Rubicon, both to keep prices in check, and to assure that Jeep doesn't go soft on the Wrangler in its efforts to chase that mass market.
Ok. Agree to disagree. Good luck with your JL!

OP
OP
JeepColorado

JeepColorado

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Grand Cherokee

Sponsored

drogers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-250

kylebw7

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Discovery, 392 Daytona, JK
The build quality or lack of it in the JL so far will have to be improved quite a bit once the bronco and Rover are out. Say what you will about Land Rover but it'll be nice as hell and finished extremely well. With how expensive a loaded Rubicon has gotten that is still only as fancy (with cheaper materials) as the base model Land Rover will be I see the price being very close. Jeep will up their game

kylebw7

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Discovery, 392 Daytona, JK
Even though you only say Jeep vs. Ford, somehow I still think it'd be Land Rover!
Build quality is never the problem with Land Rover. It'll be extremely nice. It's sorry electronics that have hampered them but that has supposedly gotten a lot better. My fifteen year old land rovers interior still looks brand new

Sponsored

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
The build quality or lack of it in the JL so far will have to be improved quite a bit once the bronco and Rover are out. Say what you will about Land Rover but it'll be nice as hell and finished extremely well. With how expensive a loaded Rubicon has gotten that is still only as fancy (with cheaper materials) as the base model Land Rover will be I see the price being very close. Jeep will up their game
Impeccable build quality in mine, I've had no issues with anything on my Jeep so far.

Vegas_Sirk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
Build quality is never the problem with Land Rover. It'll be extremely nice. It's sorry electronics that have hampered them but that has supposedly gotten a lot better. My fifteen year old land rovers interior still looks brand new
100% its always been electronics on the LR. My buddies Range Rover was in the dealer a bunch for for the dumbest electrical issues all the time. Its on of the things that kept me from buying a LR3 and getting a JKUR instead.

Vegas_Sirk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
OP
OP
JeepColorado

JeepColorado

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Grand Cherokee
Same here. I love a lot of what LR has to offer, or at least, what they used to offer. When my wife and I went to purchase for her it was either an LR4 or the Grand Cherokee Summit. Went with the Jeep, couldn't see paying $10K more for the LR to get the same features the Jeep already had- in particular given their electrical issues.

It's what would concern me about any Defender. Even if it's designed cool and not priced into the stratosphere they've said that the Defender will be the most technologically advanced off-roader LR has ever created-- Great! ....More electronic sensors and terrain management systems from the company that can't get blinkers and touch screens to work.

orey22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JK Jeep Wrangler 2dr / 2019 JL 2dr
I'd love a Land Rover Defender, but only if Land Rover can fix it's engines...I've read too many times that when Land Rover gets over 100K the tires fall off, the engine dies, and it turns to dust .. lol.

I've seen somewhere that Manley stated that if there's true competition for the Wrangler, Jeep would up it's game and start adding more options etc. ( paraphrasing )
Sponsored