Sponsored

What Will Jeep Do to Stay Ahead in the Off-Road War that is Coming?

drogers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-250
I have a Land Rover and follow them. ALL Land Rover full sized models are offered in the states with a diesel. There are also five trims not three and they'll be out at launch. Unlike Jeep they're making a two door truck. You seem like you're joking. There is no defender without a soft top.

I deleted the email from Land Rover but here's an article that is close to what they're saying

https://www.motorauthority.com/news/1111202_new-land-rover-defender-not-far-away-automaker-says
That article is about a year old - more recent ones quote LR as saying the extra models will follow *if it’s successful*.

As for price, you have your $ and £ mixed up, and you’re still off by about &7,000.
Sponsored

xpsruler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Sport
If the Bronco is made to be off-road oriented (live axles, modularity, good approach/breakover/departure angles then it could definitely be a valid contender. I honestly hope it comes out to be a good vehicle as I believe competition brings out improvements. Theres enough of a market for both.

Landrovers have become nothing more than pricey luxury vehicles and are a totally different market.

4Runners and Tacomas are nice but suffer from impaired approach and departure angles.

kylebw7

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Discovery, 392 Daytona, JK
That article is about a year old - more recent ones quote LR as saying the extra models will follow *if it’s successful*.

As for price, you have your $ and £ mixed up, and you’re still off by about &7,000.
You don't know land Rover. Everything coming out about the defender lately is to keep the Chinese knock off companies from making a copy before they can release it. There's beenIt's why they're testing it with a modified range Rover sport body instead of its actual body

Also the heavily souped up "adventure edition" adjusted from pounds to dollars was covered in about every accessory and $58500 last year.

Sponsored

OP
OP
JeepColorado

JeepColorado

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Grand Cherokee
The only thing I've seen that shows any promise out of LR are the SVX off-road models. The hope would be of course that a new Defender would be a very solid base and a version with the SVX package would be on par with a Rubicon.

Still, trusting LR to get all of the electronics right when it has plagued them for years is a lot, in particular considering the prices.

If I were going to go for the gadgetry version of off-road capability I'd get a Toyota- 4Runner or else a Land Cruiser if I wanted a high-end model. ...Crawl Control, Electronic Traction Control, KDSS hydraulic suspension etc...

lr_disco_svx_show2.jpg

JIMBOX

First Name
JAMES
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CHEROKEE TRAILHAWK/ JEEP GLADIATOR
Occupation
RETIRED
The only REAL competition for the jeep will be the (possibly) BRONCO and

The best/real competition in the last 10 years was the Hummer H4 and that crapped out--

I even had an early order for the H4 (GM), but NOPE !

Whatever

JIMBO

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
I think the introduction of the JL/U should be seen as a way to keep ahead of the game while the Bronco and Land Rover are still in the works. The introduction of different engine options is a good way to keep ahead too.

Muzzle of Bees

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 TEP
I say focus on quality. Also, continue to make the JL good for road trips. The off road prowess can be fantastic while keeping the occupants somewhat comfortable.

Muzzle of Bees

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 TEP

The best/real competition in the last 10 years was the Hummer H4 and that crapped out--

Whatever

JIMBO
I guess the 4Runner is chopped liver?

Sponsored

JIMBOX

First Name
JAMES
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CHEROKEE TRAILHAWK/ JEEP GLADIATOR
Occupation
RETIRED
YUP, compared to the H4, it is and-

Even the jeep would come in second-

Whatever

JIMBO

bkjolly

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
75 CJ-5

Whatever

JIMBO
The new Land Rover Defender is supposed to be released in the next year or two. I think that's really the only upcoming competition for the Wrangler. The Bronco would only be direct competition if they were doing a 60's style retro and not a 70's or 80's style Bronco. If Toyota decided to do a retro FJ that was more like the original and less like the mid 2000's version that would be a direct competitor and if on the off chance that Suzuki decided to release an updated sidekick that would also be a direct competitor. However, Jeep has gone against all of these in the market place before and managed to remain competitive so I don't think there is really any off road war they have to worry about. Oh wait and if International decided to release an updated Scout. Considering that the only one that is releasing an update is Land Rover, and that we don't even know if they'll stay true to the original and even if they do stay true to the original it'll be north of 100k for a new one Jeeps market position is safe.

MrJeepNut

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1980 CJ-7, 1997 TJ, 2018 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
I personally would like a sub 2500 lb version built to the old Willy's dimensions with a 4 banger, modern suspension technology, 100:1 or better crawl ratio, and modern amenities.
Absolutely, except for one thing: I'd personally like a fairly spartan, CJ-like interior, where you rip out all the carpets and actually use the drain plugs when you hose out the bare metal interior after every few wheeling excursions. I want it to be easy to work on and modify, e.g. add accessories or change your heater core without spending a full day disassembling and reassembling a more modern dash like you find on all Wranglers. Functional "modern amenities", like comfortable seats, a decent heater, and some modern electronics are OK with me, as long as they're rugged enough for frequent open-top Jeep usage.

James

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 2018 Jaguar XE, 2018 Fiat 500E
Occupation
Real Estate Broker
Hey, great questions.

If you watch the latest YouTube video from easter weekend at Moab with the four jeep concepts vehicles. Jeep is moving into the aftermarket parts industry full steam ahead.
They are not too concerned with any real competition just yet. If they do bring the diesel to the USA in 2019 that will be a major game changer and Secure their dominance.
They already offer a factory V8 motor that will drop right in the JL.
What will be interesting is how they will do with selling the Mopar parts vs all the aftermarket companies.
The word I heard is FCA has plans for the customer to be able to order a JL with all of their Mopar (lift, snorkel , wheels, and so fourth) parts from the factory as a complete built vehicle just like AEV.
If they do go this direction the rest of the auto industry will have to do something to compete and that is where we should see the race for our dollars.

jaldeborgh

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk Elite, 2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit, 2018 Jeep JL Wrangler Rubicon, 2017 Lotus Evora 400, 1949 Triumph 2000 (under restoration), 2004 Ducati Monster S4R, 2003 BMW K1200RS, and 4 Vespa scooters.
Occupation
Semiconductor Capital Equipment Sales Executive
I think what people are missing is most Jeep’s never see real off-road use. Most consumers are buying into the Jeep traditions so it’s a lifestyle purchase. Given this Jeep is in a very good position and just needs to stick to their current product roadmap. It’s a very steep uphill climb for any competitor.
Sponsored