Sponsored

What will I gain? What will I lose? Please help!

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
That was (is) my suspicion. What proof can you provide? Will this always be a "he said, she said" discussion based only on opinion? Does it always have to come down to getting a lawyer involved?

I can't seem to get a definitive answer from anyone. However, the FCA rep I conversed with at Auburn Hills, MI. certainly seemed to read me something like a riot act. Claiming any non-factory authorized modification whether installed correctly or not can always be a mitigating factor in rejecting a warranty claim.

My take away was roll the dice and take a chance, or play their silly 'keep it Mopar' game to stifle competition. Sorry but I don't personally have the wherewithall to gamble on voiding a seven year unlimited warranty. Of which I invested in (knowing full well up-front) of the negative reputation of FCA quality control.

For the record and full disclaimer, I had worked for Chrysler back in the 90's and early 2000's as a Powertrain Control Software Engineer developing all models of their Engine Control Modules. Quite a bit of our feature set effort was on managing torque output power to limit any potential damage to transmission and powertrain components. Of course doing so in as subtle a way as possible in order to not be so obvious to the average consumer. The primary purpose was obviously to minimize warranty liability.

While that was twenty years ago and many quality improvements could (and likely) have been made since, I know what goes on behind the scenes in regards to cost analysis vs practical outcome within large car companies. Regardless, all manufacturers of every product type from widgets to satellites make cost / function tradeoffs.

I've never been involved with the legal aspects of what can be considered to be valid reasons for claim rejections. Sorry but as a lowly software engineer those policies and decisions are way above my pay grade.

My warranty is important to me, and I'm not willing to just throw it away due to dubious corporate policy in trying to thwart third party competition.

Please provide evidence that I was indeed duped. I'm on your side and I believe I was. However, how do we help other Jeepers to be confident in making mods the way they want and not necessarily just strictly only Mopar? Especially without any fear of voiding their warranties.

There are threads on this forum with stories of just that. Voided warranty claims due to third-party modifications.

I wanted a lift, but couldn't take that chance. Duped or not, I admit I am enjoying my Mopar lift. No steering or any other suspension issues whatsoever. I couldn't be happier, except perhaps for my dismay at the economic hardships unduly now placed on legitimate off-road companies.

Please do to your Jeep anything you want. Like everything else in life though there are complications and tradeoffs. I really am trying to walk my way through all this crap as everyone is, including the OP.

Jay
Well first of all extended warranties are a sham in my opinion. Yes you'll find people on here that have had terrible getting things covered under warranty sure to their mods, but there are 10s of thousands of us that have had 0 issues getting warranty coverage with aftermarket parts. I've said it multiple times, find a good dealer that is mod friendly and you won't have an issue. The law is on your side.
Sponsored

jeepoch

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Wrangler Sport S 3.6L Auto 2 door, 2.5" lift, 35s
Neither of them is complete. The Mopar lift is famous for it's spring Boeing issues. You can get a better ride on and off road for roughly the same money. As I said earlier in this thread, buy Rock Krawler or Metalcloak and you won't be sorry.
Word32,

Bowing was one of my primary worries with the Mopar lift. However, they have since figured it out. Below are all four of my Mopar springs. Installation with the correct parts in the proper locations is important. The dealership mechanic and I discussed this in some detail.

Jay

IMG_20200531_093548.jpg

IMG_20200531_093617.jpg

IMG_20200531_093700.jpg

IMG_20200531_093759.jpg

jeepoch

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well first of all extended warranties are a sham in my opinion. Yes you'll find people on here that have had terrible getting things covered under warranty sure to their mods, but there are 10s of thousands of us that have had 0 issues getting warranty coverage with aftermarket parts. I've said it multiple times, find a good dealer that is mod friendly and you won't have an issue. The law is on your side.
Word302,

Unfortunately, the law is always in the fine print and is typically written in legalese. So like everyone else, you are reflecting just 'your' opinion. Which laws can you cite?

Watchtower02,

Like everything else in this country, please consult an experienced legal attorney if you're concerned about anything. I did not spend a small fortune on hiring counsel and perhaps I simply fell victim to the FCA fear mongering.

Hope and wishful thinking is great for everything, except your wallet.

I shared with you my experience because you asked. I provided concrete evidence with honest, evidence based reasoning. It's your Jeep do with it what you will. No one is going to hold your hand unless you pay them to. Just keep your head high, have no regrets and enjoy your Jeep ownership...

Good luck.

Jay

Notorious

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 TJ Sahara
Look below
I shared with you my experience because you asked. I provided concrete evidence with honest, evidence based reasoning. It's your Jeep do with it what you will. No one is going to hold your hand unless you pay them to. Just keep your head high, have no regrets and enjoy your Jeep ownership...Jay
Best comment on this thread. Heed the advice.

DizzyIzzy

First Name
Izzy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 AEV JL370 - Hellayella JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Wrangler is plenty capable as it is and I have a very inexpensive and the right solution for you. One thing to keep in mind is that with a lot of these suspension modifications you lose the factory feel of the on-road performance. Some lift kits aren’t right and you end up with too much bowing of the coil or death wobble etc.

AEV has a 2” spacer kit that comes with extended sway bar links and shock mount extensions. This way you keep your factory suspension, you keep the nice factory ride. It only costs $400. The money you save and the height you gain, you can put it towards nice wheels and 35” tires and some cool bumpers and rear tire carrier re-enforcement for bigger tires. It will make your Jeep more off-road capable without sacrificing dollars and comfort and the look you’re going for. Take it to some of the dunes near Lake Michigan or trails up in U.P. and enjoy it.

Also, if you ever want to go back to the original factory settings, you can revert it back easily.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
K5 Blazer, Jeep
Wrangler is plenty capable as it is and I have a very inexpensive and the right solution for you. One thing to keep in mind is that with a lot of these suspension modifications you lose the factory feel of the on-road performance. Some lift kits aren’t right and you end up with too much bowing of the coil or death wobble etc.

AEV has a 2” spacer kit that comes with extended sway bar links and shock mount extensions. This way you keep your factory suspension, you keep the nice factory ride. It costs only $400. The money you save and the height you gain, you can put it towards nice wheels and 35” tires and some cool bumpers and rear tire carrier enforcement for bigger tires. It will make your Jeep more off-road capable without sacrificing dollars and comfort and the look you’re going for. Take it to some of the dunes near Lake Michigan or trails up in U.P. and enjoy it.

Also. if you ever want to go back to the original factory settings, you can put it back easily.
Agree with the above post. Trust us, get the budget boost (spacer lift). I've been driving lifted trucks and Jeeps for 25+ years. At first, I invested in expensive lift kits thinking I would have problems off-road if I didn't do so. I've had a JK for 13 years with a budget boost and 35" tires and have not had any offroad or mechanical problems. The wrangler is so capable stock that a spacer lift and better tires will probably give you all the capability you need without changing factory suspension components.

Richtor

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fiesta ST
This is just completely false. The onus is on THEM to prove that your mods caused the problem. Again, find a good Dealership and you won't have to fight.
Actually it is not. As I have said it is on you to prove them wrong.

The customer is the one trying to get the work paid for. It’s on you to prove the dealer/manufacturer is wrong.

Think about it. They deny warranty. To get it paid for, you have to file suit. In this suit you have to prove they are wrong.

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Word302,

Unfortunately, the law is always in the fine print and is typically written in legalese. So like everyone else, you are reflecting just 'your' opinion. Which laws can you cite?

Watchtower02,

Like everything else in this country, please consult an experienced legal attorney if you're concerned about anything. I did not spend a small fortune on hiring counsel and perhaps I simply fell victim to the FCA fear mongering.

Hope and wishful thinking is great for everything, except your wallet.

I shared with you my experience because you asked. I provided concrete evidence with honest, evidence based reasoning. It's your Jeep do with it what you will. No one is going to hold your hand unless you pay them to. Just keep your head high, have no regrets and enjoy your Jeep ownership...

Good luck.

Jay
We've been dealing with this for decades in the Harley world. Lol up the Magnussen-Moss act. It specifically protects owners from having their warranties voided based solely on the fact that they added aftermarket parts.

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Actually it is not. As I have said it is on you to prove them wrong.

The customer is the one trying to get the work paid for. It’s on you to prove the dealer/manufacturer is wrong.

Think about it. They deny warranty. To get it paid for, you have to file suit. In this suit you have to prove they are wrong.
Well the easiest thing to do would be to find a different dealer. If it comes down to going to court, them like I said, the law requires that the dealer prove that your modifications caused the issue.

jeepoch

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
We've been dealing with this for decades in the Harley world. Lol up the Magnussen-Moss act. It specifically protects owners from having their warranties voided based solely on the fact that they added aftermarket parts.
Word302,

Thanks. Never heard of the Magnussen-Moss act. Now we're getting somewhere. On my reading list this week.

Cheers.

Jay

Sponsored

Richtor

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fiesta ST
Well the easiest thing to do would be to find a different dealer. If it comes down to going to court, them like I said, the law requires that the dealer prove that your modifications caused the issue.
It’s not that easy. Once any dealer denies warranty it’s in their system. No dealer will overturn this because of the backlash from the manufacturer.
Word302,

Thanks. Never heard of the Magnussen-Moss act. Now we're getting somewhere. On my reading list this week.

Cheers.

Jay
One needs to realize in order to invoke or cite magnussen-moss act or to introduce it as precedent one would have to file a lawsuit.

Once in the lawsuit you need to prove the dealer is wrong. If you bring charges you have to prove those charges. That’s how the legal system works.

jeepoch

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It’s not that easy. Once any dealer denies warranty it’s in their system. No dealer will overturn this because of the backlash from the manufacturer.

One needs to realize in order to invoke or cite magnussen-moss act or to introduce it as precedent one would have to file a lawsuit.

Once in the lawsuit you need to prove the dealer is wrong. If you bring charges you have to prove those charges. That’s how the legal system works.
Michael,

Then there is little to really compel the dealer from honoring any warranty claim, but a lot of potential mitigating factors to deny one.

Still sounds like anything one can do to minimize any excuse would be in their best interest. At least if they find themselves in a position to ever have to use their warranty.

Appreciate the input. I'm still going to look up the Magnussen-Moss act just for reference.

Jay

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU

They would have to flag your rig in order for it to be in the system. This actually doesn't happen very often. If you're that worried about it do your research before choosing a dealer. There are literally hundreds of mod-friendly dealers all across the country. This really isn't rocket science. If you don't want to add aftermarket parts to your Jeep that's fine, but stop with the fear-mongering.

Richtor

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fiesta ST
Michael,

Then there is little to really compel the dealer from honoring any warranty claim, but a lot of potential mitigating factors to deny one.

Still sounds like anything one can do to minimize any excuse would be in their best interest. At least if they find themselves in a position to ever have to use their warranty.

Appreciate the input. I'm still going to look up the Magnussen-Moss act just for reference.

Jay
Here is the bottom line,

if you use the vehicle as it comes from the dealer in it’s intended use you are good. The MMA protects the customer and the dealer has no leg to stand on.

most dealers when they see mild level or lift mild in increase in lift will warranty everything within reason. If your trans goes out and the dealer sees 100+ 5k rpm launches good luck.

Same goes with 37 tires and 5.13 gears. If something breaks good luck. Remember dealers/manufacturers won’t deny warranty unless they are fairly certain it wasn’t them. If they do there is two things you can do. Go to the media or file suit. Either choice you need to present your case.

aeonixx1001

First Name
Kim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JL
Strike my comments..... you said that you just want it for looks. I missed that....

given that, why not just put some 285’s on the Jeep (biggest you can get without a lift on your Sahara I think). That might get you the look that you want without the added cost And potentially, negative changes to the driving experience.

check out these boards ..... there are lots of images of Sahara’s un-lifted with 285s (Rubi take-offs ....). Or, maybe add Rubi take-off suspensions at a small price to get a little extra omph.

otherwise, get what makes you happy....... looks are important and you should build whatever your heart and budget want.
What you are gaining is not worth the cost. A two inch lift and 35's look great on a JL, but I have to tell you I have been down both roads. The 2 inch lift and 35's are great if your not doing any crawling, twisting and flexing your tires will still rub and it is really going to piss you off when you tear one of the fender liners off ( I DID IT, I KNOW). Now I run the 285's 33" stock suspension (JL) and I can pretty much go where I want, no rubbing. I am not into seeing if I can go straight up a rock, gave that up years ago. BUT, I do not let the road in front of me stop me or slow me down. Not into just having it for the look, thats just being a poser. If you aren't going to use it for some serious shit. Save your money and put new speakers and a nice sub in
Sponsored