Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
  • Banned
Looking back on the JL since 2018, what's the top thing that you think FCA...I mean Stellantis just got plain old fashion absolutely wrong about the model?

I know, despite us loving their vehicle there's no shortage of stuff to choose from (like ESS.)

My current beef is why the charging port for the 4xe couldn't be placed somewhere that doesn't get in the way of most roof racks that don't attach to the roof, and in turn to the cowl: now blocked by this port.

"The 4xe: your go to choice for off roading torque, except for the roof rack to hold your gear."

What's your top pet peeve?
Sponsored

RubenZ

First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Website
myjlproject.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford F-250, 18ā€™ Toyota 4Runner
my biggest peeve is the "regret threads" and constant complaints on the forums lol. sometimes i wonder how many Ford and Toyota reps are posting here.
Why? Jeeps aren't the greatest things since sliced bread. If people have regrets, it could be a for a reason. I loved my JEEP. But the shit just had issues. So yes I regretted it because I traded in a badass 2500HD Duramax 4x4 for it that never had a single issue in the 12 years I had it for something that had big issues within 1.5years of owning it.

Now to answer the OP's questions. I think pretty much the JL Design was bad ass. I think JEEP really got a lot right with the JL and I seriously had no complains design wise. If I had to nit pick it would be some of the plastic levers were really cheap. And I wish they offered better seats.

Roverhi

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1970 Series 2 88
Clubs

I thought the same thing. For overlanders it really screws up carrying anything on the roof as I doubt a gutter mounted rack could support a tent, awning and all the other things that are nice to have. Of course, where are you going to find a charging station in the middle of the Mojave desert.

Sponsored

RubenZ

First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Website
myjlproject.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford F-250, 18ā€™ Toyota 4Runner
I thought the same thing. For overlanders it really screws up carrying anything on the roof as I doubt a gutter mounted rack could support a tent, awning and all the other things that are nice to have. Of course, where are you going to find a charging station in the middle of the Mojave desert.
Ya, the 4xe jeep is really not meant for long overlanding wilderness travels. You pretty much need to remain close to malls and shopping centers or short trips to the beach nearby.

LJ_3M121318

First Name
LJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon
How about forcing the red accents on a rubicon. Wouldn't they sell more if you could get all black interior with a different color or at least white accent? Only way to get that is to get the ugly tan seats that don't match as the center console is still black

RubyRubi

First Name
Collin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Rubicon, 2018 Grand Cherokee
People should just be stoked that they continue to make the Wrangler at all. The technology that underpins it is so outdated weā€™re lucky someone still makes something thatā€™s so much fun. No vehicle is perfect but this one is close. Itā€™s had to adapt and change to stay relevant and attract new buyers. Only appealing to old school Jeep guys would mean terrible sales and a cancelled vehicle. Just be happy the Wrsngler is still on the road.

HungryHound

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1975 CJ-5, 1983 CJ-5, 1998 TJ, 2021 JLURe

HungryHound

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1975 CJ-5, 1983 CJ-5, 1998 TJ, 2021 JLURe
Charging port location also screws-up mirror relocation too.

Sponsored

misanthrope

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Schwinn Homegrown
Occupation
Badass
The stupid battery is under the stupid back seat so a stupid charging port next to the stupid gas cap should have been a stupid no brainer. Too close to fumes/might cause a spark/blow the whole thing up? Stupid...

ITGuy

First Name
Cody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR
How about forcing the red accents on a rubicon. Wouldn't they sell more if you could get all black interior with a different color or at least white accent? Only way to get that is to get the ugly tan seats that don't match as the center console is still black
ā€˜Hey now, I love my tan seats....

Jeep Wrangler JL What were they thinking? F6DC031D-E4FF-4381-AE67-96A8561A6A66

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Unnecessary complexity.

Jeeps were all about ruggedness and simplicity. But everything about these JLs is unnecessarily complicated.

For instance, I just got my Quadratec winch. The Mopar winch plate for my steel bumper had been sitting in the garage for months. I opened the box expecting it to be a 20 minute install, like it was on my JKs.

WRONG! It is a 10-page installation sheet. I need to remove the steel bumper, disassemble the bumper completely, even the tow hooks! I need to replace the bump stops and the support brackets with new ones provided with the winch plate...blah blah blah. I mean, seriously...? Does someone at FCA get paid to dream up this stuff?

Everything about these Jeeps is like that. Even removing the tail lights, one of the easiest things to do on prior Jeeps is now a 30-minute ordeal on JL. Getting to the back of the head unit is another one, etc., etc., etc.

No wonder it takes dealers two weeks to replace a burnt turn signal bulb!

These Jeeps are designed for quick assembly, not for ease of service, let alone modification.

LJ_3M121318

First Name
LJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon
ā€˜Hey now, I love my tan seats....

Jeep Wrangler JL What were they thinking? F6DC031D-E4FF-4381-AE67-96A8561A6A66
Apologies, I didn't realize people got that. I'm curious to know what the thought process was. Did you hate the red so much? Or you really wanted tan? Now I'm not saying tan is bad per se, I've had many dark cars with tan leather as the contrast is nice, however in those cars the steering wheel, center console, and door panels were tan as well.

Here it's just the seats so the center console is black, along with entire dash and interior doors. Don't you feel the tan and black leather combo is off?

I think I could live with the tan if at least the center console was tan too.

Obviously this is just preference but I'm curious on how you chose that?

ITGuy

First Name
Cody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR
Apologies, I didn't realize people got that. I'm curious to know what the thought process was. Did you hate the red so much? Or you really wanted tan? Now I'm not saying tan is bad per se, I've had many dark cars with tan leather as the contrast is nice, however in those cars the steering wheel, center console, and door panels were tan as well.

Here it's just the seats so the center console is black, along with entire dash and interior doors. Don't you feel the tan and black leather combo is off?

I think I could live with the tan if at least the center console was tan too.

Obviously this is just preference but I'm curious on how you chose that?
I actually saw it and really liked it just the way it was, Iā€™ve had so many cars with just a sea of black inside it was different, I had an X5 with brown seats and black interior also and liked that as well.

Its obviously personal preference but just wanted to chime in that thereā€˜s a few of us out there. Judging by how many black and red interiors and how few tan interiors are on the lots though, I will readily agree that Iā€™m in the minority.
Sponsored