Sponsored

What were the new minor improvements for the 2021 JLs?

mdkautzman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator
So you'd have to remove the cover to drain the gear oil? That's a buzzkill. What was Stellantis and/or Dana thinking? The presence of a drain plug is innocuous.
I don't get it. It's a Jeep and some actual wheel and service their rigs. Don't get the thinking. Oh wait. Bronco must of done it so Jeep followed. Sorry.....couldn't resist.
Sponsored

OP
OP
jmccorm

jmccorm

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Systems Engineering
September build/delivery and mine does not have drain plug. Crap!
June 2021 build. I've got a drain plug... and I see some superficial scrapes along the bottom of the pumpkin! It makes me give this issue a bit more thought.

In the wrong situation, I could imagine something getting wedged inside that recessed area and becoming the spear which either punctures the diff or bends it wide open. Might this have been Jeep's concern? It seems improbable... but also a very impactful event.

risk = probability of occurrence * impact

For a high impact/low probability event, best practice is to what you can (within appropriate financial reason) to reduce the impact of the event. From that perspective, I'd say Jeep did the right thing. But as a customer, yeah, I'd still want a drain plug.

Dyolfknip74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
My rubicon is less than a week old and I had been waiting a couple months and read about this. I asked my salesman about it being listed as a standard feature. I may be wrong but I saw somewhere where itā€™s listed for the 2022Jeepā€™s as well.
Iā€™d like him to give me an answer in person since I ordered mine with the features listed.
There's a huge thread on this issue.

TL;DR: you're shit out of luck.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...ect-fill-alert-tire-fill-alert-missing.78285/

Wsg1970

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 wrangler
There's a huge thread on this issue.

TL;DR: you're shit out of luck.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...ect-fill-alert-tire-fill-alert-missing.78285/
Yeah, I read most of that while I was waiting for my ordered rubicon to come in. I just feel like we got slighted since there were Jeepā€™s with it just before and apparently the 22ā€™s are saying theyā€™ll have it.

Iā€™m still happy with my Jeep. Just feels like something they could fix for the people ā€œin betweenā€.
šŸ¤·šŸ»

At Risk Ute

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
milehightrails.com
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜94 YJ, ā€˜21 JLR, ā€˜22 JLUR XR, ā€˜23 392 XR
Occupation
Retired Navy
June 2021 build. I've got a drain plug... and I see some superficial scrapes along the bottom of the pumpkin! It makes me give this issue a bit more thought.

In the wrong situation, I could imagine something getting wedged inside that recessed area and becoming the spear which either punctures the diff or bends it wide open. Might this have been Jeep's concern? It seems improbable... but also a very impactful event.

risk = probability of occurrence * impact

For a high impact/low probability event, best practice is to what you can (within appropriate financial reason) to reduce the impact of the event. From that perspective, I'd say Jeep did the right thing. But as a customer, yeah, I'd still want a drain plug.
Iā€™d rather have the drain plug. Shame on me if I bash the pumpkin.
Sponsored