Sponsored

What were the new minor improvements for the 2021 JLs?

Wsg1970

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 wrangler
which is still strange to me - seems like this would be a software update within the jeep. The new sensors are good enough to show the tire pressure in each tire individually and in near real time...so can't Jeep update the software side of select tire fill alert?

Anyway, while it does bug me that they deleted it, it is not the end of the world. I am super happy with my new Rubicon. :)
which is still strange to me - seems like this would be a software update within the jeep. The new sensors are good enough to show the tire pressure in each tire individually and in near real time...so can't Jeep update the software side of select tire fill alert?

Anyway, while it does bug me that they deleted it, it is not the end of the world. I am super happy with my new Rubicon. :)
My rubicon is less than a week old and I had been waiting a couple months and read about this. I asked my salesman about it being listed as a standard feature. I may be wrong but I saw somewhere where itā€™s listed for the 2022Jeepā€™s as well.
Iā€™d like him to give me an answer in person since I ordered mine with the features listed.
Sponsored

Helloh2u

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon Unlimited
I don't have Android Auto/Apple Car Play, so I'll ask: those features don't work via Bluetooth?

I had a look at the AA Wireless device. It's an $85 box that needs to be plugged in...so that one's phone needn't be plugged in. šŸ¤” Curious.

Android Auto/Apple Car Play do not work via bluetooth because bluetooth technology does not have the bandwidth to handle the data flow. The way that AA Wireless works is that the device stays plugged in to a USB port on the vehicle (I keep mine in the console) but connects to the phone via wifi. So the vehicle thinks the phone is connct via USB and functions appropriately.

At Risk Ute

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
milehightrails.com
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜94 YJ, ā€˜21 JLR, ā€˜22 JLUR XR, ā€˜23 392 XR
Occupation
Retired Navy
They removed the drain plug on the bottom of the front differential. What an upgrade.
That might be limited to XRs. My ā€˜21 JLR built in July has the front diff drain plug.

music293

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sahara
Clubs

This is the same for me, I have tried numerous cables with no luck (including new Apple cables). I am thinking about doing one of those wireless dongles that goes behind the dash and doing the Leathseats wireless charge center console.

JLWrangler_JTGladiator_SanctumConsoleLid-06.jpg
I have two initial thoughts when I see this product.

1. Phone sizes change over time, so how is this going to hold up?
2. How do you not end up resting your arm on the phone at best, and at worst end up putting a bunch of pressure on your phone (elbow, etc)? Probably not great.

offrampclimber

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Rubicon
Differences I've noticed in going from an '18 4 door Sahara to a '21 2 door Rubicon:

1) The dome light, and all 4 small lights now turn on when the door is open ('18, only the center light turned on, the other 4 were manual)
2) The eTorque on the 3.6 has reconfigured settings for when it initiates auto start/stop, such as different measurements for cabin cooling/heating, wheel angle, will now re-engage without requiring gas pedal input in between, etc....
3) The heated steering wheel does not get nearly as hot as it did the '18 (I miss the burning wheel of the '18, so I guess I wouldn't classify this as an improvement)
4) Tire fill alert is present on mine (build date Dec 2020), but I have to reactivate in the Settings menu every time before the icon is available in the App menu
5) Off-road+ on Rubicons. Tested this out once, didn't really like it.
6) Much improved steering box. Doesn't feel like I'm going to go flying off into a ditch at any moment going down a narrow country road

Sponsored

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
September build/delivery and mine does not have drain plug. Crap!
So you'd have to remove the cover to drain the gear oil? That's a buzzkill. What was Stellantis and/or Dana thinking? The presence of a drain plug is innocuous.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
So you'd have to remove the cover to drain the gear oil? That's a buzzkill. What was Stellantis and/or Dana thinking? The presence of a drain plug is innocuous.
cost savings.

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
cost savings.
I got bit in a similar manner, years ago.

Wanting to save .10 cents on the production line, General Motors specified zerk-less universal joints for at least the K1500s. I spent a C-note to have a new Dana Spicer u-joint, with a grease fitting, installed before the original self-destructed.

Sponsored

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
I got bit in a similar manner, years ago.

Wanting to save .10 cents on the production line, General Motors specified zerk-less universal joints for at least the K1500s. I spent a C-note to have a new Dana Spicer u-joint, with a grease fitting, installed before the original self-destructed.
yep. And now all vehicles have no grease fittings on the whole chassis. Makes oil changes much quicker and simpler but god, the front ends wear out in a bad way.

Rubi SoHo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR-XR
Occupation
Physician
Isnā€™t that drain plug just begging to be sheared off by a stone?

Deleted member 59498

yep. And now all vehicles have no grease fittings on the whole chassis. Makes oil changes much quicker and simpler but god, the front ends wear out in a bad way.
Wow didn't know that!

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
Isnā€™t that drain plug just begging to be sheared off by a stone?
The drain plug casting (molding?) on the front differential of my JLU is more or less flush with the bottom of the pumpkin. The plug itself is completely recessed when properly seated/tightened, and requires a 3/8" ratchet for removal.

Damage to the bottom of the differential is of course possible, but it would have to be a very hard and direct hit to compromise operation of the plug. So, no, it's not sticking out in the world, waiting to be hurt.

The broadband availability of skid plates, and the sheer loss of convenience when a drain plug is absent, makes the decision to remove it a very tenuous one. Penny wise and pound foolish, IMO.

Rubi SoHo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR-XR
Occupation
Physician
The drain plug casting (molding?) on the front differential of my JLU is more or less flush with the bottom of the pumpkin. The plug itself is completely recessed when properly seated/tightened, and requires a 3/8" ratchet for removal.

Damage to the bottom of the differential is of course possible, but it would have to be a very hard and direct hit to compromise operation of the plug. So, no, it's not sticking out in the world, waiting to be hurt.

The broadband availability of skid plates, and the sheer loss of convenience when a drain plug is absent, makes the decision to remove it a very tenuous one. Penny wise and pound foolish, IMO.
Fair enough, honestly I havenā€™t had a jeep in 20ā€™ish years, and even then it was a CJ7, I havenā€™t had a D44 to inspect. Just heard others saying they were glad the plug wasnā€™t down there anymore.
Sponsored