What was your first modification??

Vinman

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
I installed a Warn 9.5TI winch on day 2 or 3 of ownership.
Sponsored

JayCeeX2

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Sport S, 2014 4Runner Limited
My first mod was getting rid of the horrible halogen headlights for LEDs with DRL's and Morimoto LED fogs. I did that within the first few days.

MrMischief

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon
How easy is it to breakdown if you need to haul something big or put the hardtop back on?
It sits under the hardtop without issue, you don't have to remove it to put the hard top back on. The deck lid portion of the slipstream is held in place with up to 6 pins, 2 in the front, 2 in the middle, and 2 in the back. near the swing gate.. Depends on what I'm up to but I typically leave the ones near the swing gate out, there's sort of a lip that would impact the swing gate if anyone tried to get into it, so it's still secure without those. You can fold the deck lid back onto itself, or flip it up again and it stands up vertically making plenty of room to stack things high but you'll need a strap to hold the deck lid in that position. Or you can easily remove it altogether by pulling all six of the pins. Unlike the 4 door version, the 2 door does NOT feature an easily removable front wall. The 2 door version has a lockable access door right in the middle, but the wall itself is held in place with bolts. (in the four door version the wall can fold down or easily be removed by pulling more pins). There is a decently sized open area between the back of the front seats and the slipstream, I still have plenty of room to toss things in that area, things I want easy access to but I don't want up front with me like my large water jug, or a hat, or what not. The access door is handy if I have something lightweight I need to quickly get out of the wind, again like my hat.

Things I'm disappointed in with it, in no particular order:

To remove it, say if you wanted to put the rear seat back in place, is going to take quite a bit of work, you're basically removing the whole thing. Just my random guess it'd take me 2 hours to get the back seat reinstalled again and I suspect it would be pretty annoying. Install was great, probably the most accurately designed Jeep mod I've ever bought. Every hole lined up perfectly but there are a lot of bolts that all take some time to get together. The idea of it is that you will likely never put your backseat in again. I don't know how, or if, it could be done but I would have liked for it to have been faster/easier to get the seat back in if I ever needed to.

The Freedom panels are too big to put beneath the slipstream. By like maybe an inch. It's so close and it's just incredibly frustrating that I can't lay my freedom panels down in the back like I used to. What I've done is put the freedom panels in the bag, then strap that to the top of the slipstream. That works fine, but I haven't come up with a good way of holding the bag so it doesn't slide at all. It's not going to go anywhere but when I hit the brakes the bag will come forward and bump my seat back. Overall it's fine, but I'd prefer the 2 door's slipstream be slightly larger so I could put the panels beneath it (the 2 door slip stream is the same size as the 4 door and uses the same deck lid).

Mine squeaks and rattles a bit. When I first got it the thing was remarkably quiet, but as time has gone by I get some rattles and squeaks out of it. Nothing terribly bad but it's there. I don't think it's reasonable to expect that it won't make noise but many will say it's completely silent. That hasn't been my experience. It seems my noise is all coming from the deck lid, if I remove the lid it's silent. so I've done a bit more work with some tape trying to silence it and I'm getting close but it's not perfect yet.

It does not stop water from getting in. I never expected it to be water tight, it has gaps around it and I just don't think you can reasonably expect this thing to be water tight. I had hoped it might stop a good amount of the water though. But in my experience it stops none of the water. Truly, if you're in a rain storm your carpets will be soaked, anything you had back there will be ruined, and your subwoofer will be full water. If you're going to throw your work laptop back there, maybe get a water tight box to put it in first. I also noticed that it limits how fast the sun will dry out your carpets in back. Not that big of an issue, just open or remove the deck lid. But remember to do that otherwise it just stays damp. Oh, and the metal on it can get remarkably hot in the sun. When I got a sunshade I got one that extended over where the rearseat used to be, partially to help keep areas of the slipstream more cool to the touch.

It is incredibly noisy if you're driving with the deck lid half open. The metal pieces of the lid crash together, there's no effective "bumpers" included it just metal on metal. Diabolical sells some pads that go on the tops, looks like you could easily make your own out of marine deck foam I just haven't gotten around to try it. I had hoped the diabolical stickers they included (they're sort of bubbly/padded) would be enough to act as bumpers, but they're not.

There is an access hole on the driver side rear that the wires for the top pass through. When you take the top off you put the wires down through the hole then there is a cover plate that closes the hole. That cover plate is held in place by a bolt and nut. So you need to loosen and tighten that nut each time in order to swing the cover plate. That nut is in a place that is a bit annoying to get to, it's not an easy thing and I need a wrench or socket to get it done.

I think that is truly every little nit picky complaint I could have about the slipstream. Don't take my complaints too seriously. It's a great product, I recommend it all of the time. I would not want to be without it. I ended up with a GMRS radio in the Jeep and it came with a magnet mounted antenna, that's perfect for just sticking to the slipstream. I have the GPCA hard top T-handle bolts. they work well as extra tie down points for crap I put on top of the slipstream. I have a magnet mounted LED light stuck to the underside of the deck lid that works well for when I need additional lighting in the rear.

JL MADDOG

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL 2.0L Turbo
Occupation
Jeepin'
A-Tach JL Holster MountInstalled 2/21
QuadraTec Flashlight MountInstalled 2/22
Toyo AT II 285/75R17 TiresInstalled 3/4
Dominion Offroad JL Hi-Lift Jack MountInstalled 3/8
QuadraTec Dead PedalInstalled 3/10
CravenSpeed Shorty AntennaInstalled 3/16
Front seat tilt kit - Desert DoesItInstalled 3/23
eBay seat side storageInstalled 3/27
Easy Start Stop moduleInstalled 4/3
MOPAR Cargo mat kitInstalled 4/8
Tint, 30% Front & sides, Limo on rearInstalled 4/14
GPCA M8 interior tie-down D-ringsInstalled 6/26
Garmin InReach MiniReceived 7/20
RockSlide Engineering - RotoPax MountInstalled 7/23
MOPAR F & R grab handlesInstalled 7/27
onX Map App for Android TabletDownloaded 7/28
Bartact 2.5lb fire extinguisher & mountInstalled 7/29
Dominion Offroad Shovel & Axe mountInstalled 8/5
RotoPax WaterPak & Fuel Pak w/mountsInstalled 8/20

jg45

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Recon
First mod was the Bestop Sunrider for Hardtop within a week or two of getting the Jeep. Second was the M.O.R.E dead pedal shortly after.

Sponsored

RubiBlueJLU

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Diesel
Occupation
Structural Technician
Aftermarket steel front bumper, winch plate, winch, swinging plate cover, and bull bar. Reused the factory Rubicon hooks and fog lights. Winch was from previous TJ with new synthetic line. Love the way the winch just disappears.

Jeep Wrangler JL What was your first modification?? IMG_6522_LI

jadewolf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JK Sport (sold), 2021 JL Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
It sits under the hardtop without issue, you don't have to remove it to put the hard top back on. The deck lid portion of the slipstream is held in place with up to 6 pins, 2 in the front, 2 in the middle, and 2 in the back. near the swing gate.. Depends on what I'm up to but I typically leave the ones near the swing gate out, there's sort of a lip that would impact the swing gate if anyone tried to get into it, so it's still secure without those. You can fold the deck lid back onto itself, or flip it up again and it stands up vertically making plenty of room to stack things high but you'll need a strap to hold the deck lid in that position. Or you can easily remove it altogether by pulling all six of the pins. Unlike the 4 door version, the 2 door does NOT feature an easily removable front wall. The 2 door version has a lockable access door right in the middle, but the wall itself is held in place with bolts. (in the four door version the wall can fold down or easily be removed by pulling more pins). There is a decently sized open area between the back of the front seats and the slipstream, I still have plenty of room to toss things in that area, things I want easy access to but I don't want up front with me like my large water jug, or a hat, or what not. The access door is handy if I have something lightweight I need to quickly get out of the wind, again like my hat.

Things I'm disappointed in with it, in no particular order:

To remove it, say if you wanted to put the rear seat back in place, is going to take quite a bit of work, you're basically removing the whole thing. Just my random guess it'd take me 2 hours to get the back seat reinstalled again and I suspect it would be pretty annoying. Install was great, probably the most accurately designed Jeep mod I've ever bought. Every hole lined up perfectly but there are a lot of bolts that all take some time to get together. The idea of it is that you will likely never put your backseat in again. I don't know how, or if, it could be done but I would have liked for it to have been faster/easier to get the seat back in if I ever needed to.

The Freedom panels are too big to put beneath the slipstream. By like maybe an inch. It's so close and it's just incredibly frustrating that I can't lay my freedom panels down in the back like I used to. What I've done is put the freedom panels in the bag, then strap that to the top of the slipstream. That works fine, but I haven't come up with a good way of holding the bag so it doesn't slide at all. It's not going to go anywhere but when I hit the brakes the bag will come forward and bump my seat back. Overall it's fine, but I'd prefer the 2 door's slipstream be slightly larger so I could put the panels beneath it (the 2 door slip stream is the same size as the 4 door and uses the same deck lid).

Mine squeaks and rattles a bit. When I first got it the thing was remarkably quiet, but as time has gone by I get some rattles and squeaks out of it. Nothing terribly bad but it's there. I don't think it's reasonable to expect that it won't make noise but many will say it's completely silent. That hasn't been my experience. It seems my noise is all coming from the deck lid, if I remove the lid it's silent. so I've done a bit more work with some tape trying to silence it and I'm getting close but it's not perfect yet.

It does not stop water from getting in. I never expected it to be water tight, it has gaps around it and I just don't think you can reasonably expect this thing to be water tight. I had hoped it might stop a good amount of the water though. But in my experience it stops none of the water. Truly, if you're in a rain storm your carpets will be soaked, anything you had back there will be ruined, and your subwoofer will be full water. If you're going to throw your work laptop back there, maybe get a water tight box to put it in first. I also noticed that it limits how fast the sun will dry out your carpets in back. Not that big of an issue, just open or remove the deck lid. But remember to do that otherwise it just stays damp. Oh, and the metal on it can get remarkably hot in the sun. When I got a sunshade I got one that extended over where the rearseat used to be, partially to help keep areas of the slipstream more cool to the touch.

It is incredibly noisy if you're driving with the deck lid half open. The metal pieces of the lid crash together, there's no effective "bumpers" included it just metal on metal. Diabolical sells some pads that go on the tops, looks like you could easily make your own out of marine deck foam I just haven't gotten around to try it. I had hoped the diabolical stickers they included (they're sort of bubbly/padded) would be enough to act as bumpers, but they're not.

There is an access hole on the driver side rear that the wires for the top pass through. When you take the top off you put the wires down through the hole then there is a cover plate that closes the hole. That cover plate is held in place by a bolt and nut. So you need to loosen and tighten that nut each time in order to swing the cover plate. That nut is in a place that is a bit annoying to get to, it's not an easy thing and I need a wrench or socket to get it done.

I think that is truly every little nit picky complaint I could have about the slipstream. Don't take my complaints too seriously. It's a great product, I recommend it all of the time. I would not want to be without it. I ended up with a GMRS radio in the Jeep and it came with a magnet mounted antenna, that's perfect for just sticking to the slipstream. I have the GPCA hard top T-handle bolts. they work well as extra tie down points for crap I put on top of the slipstream. I have a magnet mounted LED light stuck to the underside of the deck lid that works well for when I need additional lighting in the rear.
Wow, thank you! That was way more comprehensive a review than I expected. Much appreciated!

RFR JLR 2.0

First Name
Rudy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JLU Rubicon 3.6L
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Geologist
Winch and recovery gear. That started the never ending quest for more.

txj2go

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTS-V, 2018 JLU Sport Firecracker Red
My first mod was Rubicon takeoff tires, followed shortly by Rubicon takeoff shocks and springs, and Mopar LCA. Last modification was to remove the little battery completely and change the stock large battery for a new one from Batteries+.

I didn't list above because it wasn't really a mod but I built a shelf in the back for my last solo camping trip. I was sleeping in the back and that took up a lot of room that I needed for gear, so I built a temporary shelf across the back to put gear on, above my feet. I dismantled it after that trip but it did work pretty well so I'll build the next version before my solo trip spring 2022.

I'm not the kind of person to do a lot of mods just for grins. My next mods are for function also because I drive a lot of dirt and gravel roads- mud flaps and rock rails.

Last edited:

zouch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ, JLUWD
first and second mods are tied for first place as both happened before i drove it off the dealers lot:

Jeep valve stem caps (because i wanted to verify the Tire Pressure before i drove it).

5 Mopar locking Lug Nuts (to try to make sure i would still have wheels on day 2, and because i wanted to verify lugnut torque before i put it on the highway).

Hey everyone, I just ordered my first '21 JL and can't wait to have it in the drive and out on the trails. Last few weeks I have been drooling over all the potential modifications and wanted to ask everyone here:

What was the first thing you added and was there anything you did that you regretted or would do differently??

Cheers,

H

Sponsored

cobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara
My wife wanted the Amp power steps on asap. [She's short]The new jeep went straight to our garage [12 miles on it] and we did the install. She did the under dash wiring on the pass side along with being a big help with the rest. 3rd set we have put on our jeeps.

KarlN

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Unlimited 4XE
Occupation
Retired
Took it out and used it to find what I needed most...after getting a pump to air up the tires after the trip. I believe all I'll need is a proper 2 inch lift on 35's. Which will likely lead to a spare tire reinforcement kit. On board air would be nice too. and a shade that will work with the sky touch roof. I'll also be installing piping to keep the small dirt and rocks from lodging between the body and rear fenders before I head out again. The stones are a pain to get out.

LiveToWork

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 3500HD
Occupation
Oil patch
Lots of Window tint. Windshield, and driver fronts to match the factory rear.

then i did all the rears to limo and retinted the driver front to limo

got a ticket a had to retint the fronts to 50%.

my front windows have had every shade of tint except 35%. I think im gonna go get it done now 🤣