Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR XR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Sparky
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

On the '19 it was steel bumpers cause I was heading to Moab 4 days after taking delivery. On the new JLUR XR that's on order I'm installing all the interior mods I kept from the '19 (Vector E-dock, MPS overhead molle panel, Yaesu FTM-400 dual band ham, Cobra 75wx, etc), then I've got a Warn winch and winch plate for the factory steel bumper that will be going in, followed shortly by Mopar functional beadlock rings to replace the "beauty rings" that come from the factory.
Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@DirtyHaraldson

I keep an Excel file that documents all add-ons and maintenance on my JL

Here is a clip of the first couple of months, noting what I did..

Jeep Wrangler JL What was your first modification?? Capture.JPG

jadewolf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JK Sport (sold), 2021 JL Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
First "mod" was removing the rear set. Got that done within a few minutes of getting home from the dealer.

First "real" mod was the diabolical slipstream. Pre-COVID I had a commute the slipstream made it so I could lock my work laptop in the back when I wanted to go somewhere after work.
I just took a look at this and I am intrigued! Also have a 2-door with the rear seat removed and.. this might be very handy as I've kinda fallen in love with the topless thing. How easy is it to breakdown if you need to haul something big or put the hardtop back on?

Jeepeto

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR XR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Sparky
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

As far as things I would do differently;

I had to cheap out on bumpers and order off amazon to get something shipped quickly enough that I could install them before Moab. I do not regret the decision to buy cheap bumpers before Moab, as there is no doubt that they saved body damage on 31" tires and no lift. However I wish I had upgraded them before starting to add other modifications on top of the cheap bumpers. Once I had lights and a winch installed I was somewhat married to the bumpers, and they definitely started to show age after just a couple years.

I think if I were to do it again I would opt for the low profile E-dock as opposed to the "bar" style. My wife is vertically challenged and I think she would appreciate the lower profile unit.

I would have ordered the aux switches from the factory. I ended up ordering the part for ~$325 and spending a whole day in the driveway taking the dash apart and fishing wires to get them installed. I think having the tow package with a hitch for not much more makes sense. I wouldn't want to do that install again.

jadewolf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
I had my Alien Sunshade installed within minutes of getting home from the dealer, but the first 'real' mods were Outback Adventures tailgate table, Vector e-dock, and Midland GRMS radio.

I went on a week long camping/road trip within weeks of bringing the JL home, so those were what I considered essential to have done before setting out.

No regrets on anything so far, but I have waffled on some of the things planned for next steps. But I'll deal with all that in the Fall, once it's not too miserably hot to work in the garage.

Sponsored

Jeepeto

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR XR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Sparky
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

@DirtyHaraldson

I keep an Excel file that documents all add-ons and maintenance on my JL

Here is a clip of the first couple of months, noting what I did..

Jeep Wrangler JL What was your first modification?? Capture.JPG
You have my upvote. Just cause the t-rex sticker was a documented modification

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
IF anyone wants an Excel file that is geared toward recording Add-Ons and Maintenance you can download this one and use .....some of the Eccel work is already done for you... Just make it your own...

Attachments

jadewolf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
IF anyone wants an Excel file that is geared toward recording Add-Ons and Maintenance you can download this one and use .....some of the Eccel work is already done for you... Just make it your own...
I put together a google sheet for tracking mine, but... I made the mistake of also including the cost of all the upgrades and now I'm afraid to open it. 💸😆

Jeepeto

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR XR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Sparky
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

You sir are a gentleman. Thank you much, I was considering doing this myself for the new rig

Sponsored

Jeepeto

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR XR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Sparky
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

I put together a google sheet for tracking mine, but... I made the mistake of also including the cost of all the upgrades and now I'm afraid to open it. 💸😆
Just save it until you sell it. Do not look at the contents, shield your eyes and show the potential buyer.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
Hey everyone, I just ordered my first '21 JL and can't wait to have it in the drive and out on the trails. Last few weeks I have been drooling over all the potential modifications and wanted to ask everyone here:

What was the first thing you added and was there anything you did that you regretted or would do differently??

Cheers,

H
Welcome to the community, and congrats on your upcoming Jeep!

My 1st mods were Christmas presents received a couple weeks before my factory order showed up. They were a full set of weathertek floor mats, a Maximus-3 SLP bull bar, and Maximus-3 Stealth front plate bracket. I installed them the very next morning after getting home with the Jeep. Right afterwards, I removed the Wrangler unlimited decals from the front fenders and the warning stickers from the visors.
Jeep Wrangler JL What was your first modification?? 20190713_174407
Jeep Wrangler JL What was your first modification?? 20201007_070218
Jeep Wrangler JL What was your first modification?? 20201007_070302

That was the beginning of the very slippery edge of a very deep rabbits hole that I'm still working my way down 2.5 years later.