What tyres do you plan to run on your JL in Oz

Steve F

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR, JKU
No offroad pics yet, just had the new tyres fitted today - Falken Wildpeak AT3W in a 285/70R17.

I'm getting slight rubbing on a tight turn (full lock only), I think the wheels are touching the edges of the plastic trim pieces behind the front bullbar - will be removing these.

Quick question... What have you all done to the rubber bumpers on the tailgate? Just squish them down flat, or cut them to a shorter length?

C18836D7-1CC4-44B3-9284-6C471E2E658D.jpeg
I cut the rubber bumpers, for 305 I cut about 1 cm from them I think, I just used a fresh blade in a stanley knife. I looked at squishing them but thought it would be too much pressure on the door.
Sponsored

Jeepster_Aus

First Name
Renier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon
I cut the rubber bumpers, for 305 I cut about 1 cm from them I think, I just used a fresh blade in a stanley knife. I looked at squishing them but thought it would be too much pressure on the door.
Thanks mate, there’s quite a bit of squashing going on. I might need to cut more than that, but will start with small increments so as not to remove too much.

COKENOGOOD

First Name
Hugh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR-Black
Cannot find km3 anywhere.
finally go with Razr. Steve gives me the confidence to run 305/70r17.
Jeep Wrangler JL What tyres do you plan to run on your JL in Oz 12FAFECD-8495-4756-A530-A115A982BC59
Jeep Wrangler JL What tyres do you plan to run on your JL in Oz 233DF758-101A-434E-952B-80B5A0ED899F
Jeep Wrangler JL What tyres do you plan to run on your JL in Oz 33909C99-E86F-44CD-A75A-3005B0AAA6A5
Jeep Wrangler JL What tyres do you plan to run on your JL in Oz D3306A8E-2A1E-4821-B324-95EDCD1C2E35

spent 5 mins to convince the tyre shop to believe stock wrangler can hold this size…. But he still didn’t believe until put them on….

Jeepster_Aus

First Name
Renier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon
Cannot find km3 anywhere.
finally go with Razr. Steve gives me the confidence to run 305/70r17.
Jeep Wrangler JL What tyres do you plan to run on your JL in Oz D3306A8E-2A1E-4821-B324-95EDCD1C2E35

spent 5 mins to convince the tyre shop to believe stock wrangler can hold this size…. But he still didn’t believe until put them on….
How did you go with the spare tyre? Did you also find the rubber bumpers on the bottom are squashed down quite a lot? I only have 285/70R17 and had to trim these a bit.

COKENOGOOD

First Name
Hugh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR-Black
How did you go with the spare tyre? Did you also find the rubber bumpers on the bottom are squashed down quite a lot? I only have 285/70R17 and had to trim these a bit.
I haven’t trimmed it yet..they still can be put on without trimming..
I was thinking it may be OK, they are supposed to be supporting the tyre firmly?

Sponsored

Equitasforall

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 4xe
Occupation
I could tell you, but then....
Will have 315/70-17 BFG KO2s on my 2021 JL Rubicon 4xe with a 2 inch Mopar lift when I join you all later this year. I expect a long wait in customs getting it through as it will have every "issue" - 35's, 2 inch lift (more like 1" due to the weight of the 4xe,) left hand drive, and the fact that it's a plug in hybrid. If nothing else it will be an adventure in itself!

AusJeepNoob

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Wrangler Unlimited - Rubicon EcoDiesel
If anyone is thinking about running 35s without a lift I can confirm that my 35s tried to create additional guard clearance when I went to Lost City last week.

guywiththehair

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler Rubicon
I just upgraded with the 35x12.50x17 Yokohama Geolander X-AT G016 with Quadratec '41 wheels (+10mm offset) as I actually like the OEM Rubicon black alloy look.

I almost went with KM3 or Maxxis Razr MT in 315/70 but I have seen too many mixed reviews.

I prefer having an aggressive AT like these Geolander X-ATs anyway, for somewhat better wet tarmac traction and wear. It's really hard to find stock of alternatives in AU (like the Nitto Ridge Grappler or Kenda Klever R/T).

pic2.jpg

pic1.jpg

COKENOGOOD

First Name
Hugh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR-Black
I just upgraded with the 35x12.50x17 Yokohama Geolander X-AT G016 with Quadratec '41 wheels (+10mm offset) as I actually like the OEM Rubicon black alloy look.

I almost went with KM3 or Maxxis Razr MT in 315/70 but I have seen too many mixed reviews.

I prefer having an aggressive AT like these Geolander X-ATs anyway, for somewhat better wet tarmac traction and wear. It's really hard to find stock of alternatives in AU (like the Nitto Ridge Grappler or Kenda Klever R/T).

Jeep Wrangler JL What tyres do you plan to run on your JL in Oz pic1

:like:Sounds lots of money of shipping Quadratec wheels to here……

how much did you spend..

Knightcustoms

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon JL

Your Jeep looks great. Any lift in that set up?

Sponsored

guywiththehair

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler Rubicon
:like:Sounds lots of money of shipping Quadratec wheels to here……

how much did you spend..
They where on special actually, so even with freight not too bad. each. Approx $300 AUD per wheel including delivery in 2 weeks via FedEx.

Versus like $350-400+ for alternatives I was looking at e.g. KMC, Teraflex etc (with 3-5 month lead time). COVID has really messed with typical sea freight lead times.
Your Jeep looks great. Any lift in that set up?
Thanks mate. AEV 2.5 inch lift, which realistically sits at like 3inch.

Knightcustoms

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon JL
They where on special actually, so even with freight not too bad. each. Approx $300 AUD per wheel including delivery in 2 weeks via FedEx.

Versus like $350-400+ for alternatives I was looking at e.g. KMC, Teraflex etc (with 3-5 month lead time). COVID has really messed with typical sea freight lead times.

Thanks mate. AEV 2.5 inch lift, which realistically sits at like 3inch.
Thanks, so with the 2.5 lift did you have to have the vehicle officially certified? Not sure what the rules are in NSW, I am in Victoria.

guywiththehair

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler Rubicon
Thanks, so with the 2.5 lift did you have to have the vehicle officially certified? Not sure what the rules are in NSW, I am in Victoria.
Nope, spoke to almost 10 engineers who didn't think it'd be possible or worth trying. I did find one that was willing to let me join another guy who was getting his ute lane-change test, but timing wasnt going to work out for me due to interstate work travel conflicts. He was also kinda dodgy to be honest, so not sure if it would be worth paying for the certification if it would not hold up to additional scrutiny.

discobean

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Nope, spoke to almost 10 engineers who didn't think it'd be possible or worth trying. I did find one that was willing to let me join another guy who was getting his ute lane-change test, but timing wasnt going to work out for me due to interstate work travel conflicts. He was also kinda dodgy to be honest, so not sure if it would be worth paying for the certification if it would not hold up to additional scrutiny.
I got the RAZR 315/70's on mine, they should measure roughly 35", or slightly less, but when I measured they were 33.5". So in theory that wouldn't need any certification? Do the cops go off the numbers, or the actual size?

COKENOGOOD

First Name
Hugh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR-Black
I got the RAZR 315/70's on mine, they should measure roughly 35", or slightly less, but when I measured they were 33.5". So in theory that wouldn't need any certification? Do the cops go off the numbers, or the actual size?
Unfortunately, they are looking at the spec
Sponsored