What tyres do you plan to run on your JL in Oz

Steve0

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi S3
Been waiting 12 months for the JL to arrive down under, and after two test drives I’m still undecided (want to drive a Rubicon) But Aussie spec Rubicon will have 255/75/17 tyres and stock fenders, which sucks right. When I read the US spec Rubicon had 285/70/17 (33”) I thought great, we’ll finally be able to legally run a 35” tyre on a 4x4 in Australia, as we can only legally fit a tyre with an overall diameter 50mm (2”) taller than that delivered from the factory. And the stock rims are only 7.5 inches wide, so we can’t go any wider than a 295.

After a little research, I found a Maxxis Buckshot Mudder II comes in a 285/75/17 which is a 33.8" and legal fitment, however the Maxxis is slightly oversize at 34.2" & being a 285 it's a legal fit for Aussie road regs. Now you can get a 295/70/17, but they’re only a 33” tyre, and I’d rather have clearance than width.

I’m thinking the 285/75/17 with a 2.5” lift should make a good start. Later on I might go for wider rims & 315/70/17. Would love to go bigger but it’s a daily drive.

So, If you plan to buy an Aussie spec Rubi (or other model Wrangler) what tyres do you plan to run? Do you plan to stay within the regs, or WTF - I’m running 37’s!

Couple of good links:

https://tiresize.com/tyre-size-calculator/

https://www.maxxis.com/catalog/tire-514-104-buckshot-mudder-ii-mt-764

Side note – I did see on https://www.jeep.com.au/wrangler-jl/accessories.html we can option a 17x8.5 inch wheel so we can fit wider tyres. This looked good until I realized the $457 they wanted was for one wheel, not four! Ouch.

Tyre 1.JPG

Tyre 2.JPG
Sponsored

OP
OP

Steve0

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi S3
Our road rules suck balls! Don’t get me wrong though, there are plenty of 4x4’s on the road with oversize rubber down under, but their usually old beaters. My last 4x4 was a Frontera (Isuzu Rodeo/Honda Passport in US) with 33” tyres, 2” body lift, Calmini 3” suspension lift, fender flares, Dana 44 rear, ARB lockers front & rear, ARB winch bar, winch etc. that was totally illegal. BUT, it wasn’t my daily drive, it looked pretty clean and I never had any problem on the street. If it wasn’t for the crappy IFS & busting steering racks I would have regeared it & fitted 35’s. I think Australia just got stuck with the watered down Rubi because we drive on the wrong side of the road. UK, South Africa, India, Japan, New Zealand, we all get 32’s and kiddies fenders. And no unfortunately we don’t have a SEMA. You got it good in the US.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Our road rules suck balls! Don’t get me wrong though, there are plenty of 4x4’s on the road with oversize rubber down under, but their usually old beaters. My last 4x4 was a Frontera (Isuzu Rodeo/Honda Passport in US) with 33” tyres, 2” body lift, Calmini 3” suspension lift, fender flares, Dana 44 rear, ARB lockers front & rear, ARB winch bar, winch etc. that was totally illegal. BUT, it wasn’t my daily drive, it looked pretty clean and I never had any problem on the street. If it wasn’t for the crappy IFS & busting steering racks I would have regeared it & fitted 35’s. I think Australia just got stuck with the watered down Rubi because we drive on the wrong side of the road. UK, South Africa, India, Japan, New Zealand, we all get 32’s and kiddies fenders. And no unfortunately we don’t have a SEMA. You got it good in the US.
Did they at least give the Aussie Rubi the lockers and lower geared transfer case?

OP
OP

Steve0

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi S3
Did they at least give the Aussie Rubi the lockers and lower geared transfer case?
We do get the lockers & lower gearing which is great. And we can buy the high fenders direct from Mopar & fit bigger rubber, but at $69K for a stock Rubicon they should come standard. We do get the steel front bumper, but I think we get the plastic rear bumper?
Rumour is we'll get the Gladiator in 2020, but it won't have a steering wheel, it'll be self drive only, but we'll be able to by a steering wheel kit direct from Mopar :)

Sponsored

Kezza

First Name
Kerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Y62
Rumour is we'll get the Gladiator in 2020, but it won't have a steering wheel, it'll be self drive only, but we'll be able to by a steering wheel kit direct from Mopar :)
i thought yes Gladiator.. then was wait what now lol

OP
OP

Steve0

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi S3
Can't get the 285/75/17 Maxxis above in Oz. So its a set of 18x10 inch rims & 35/12.5/18 for me. F#ck the road rules...

OP
OP

Steve0

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi S3
Surprised to see this Overland in Brisbane today. The mud tyres make a huge difference to its stance, looks very tough. Can’t say I’m a fan of 20” rims on a 4X4, but it looks so much better than a stock JL. What-ever floats your boat right? Tyres are 305/55/20, which are 33.2”. Looks like its got a suspension lift. This is one cool JL.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

rogisilva

First Name
Igor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.Rotadyne.com.au
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR OB
Occupation
Design Development Manager
SteveO, where was that JL seen? how do we have a modded JL? is it something a dealer decided to do? Promotional jeep? I'm confused.

If I could get Kumho Road Venture MT51 at 35" for 17" rims I would go with them... I have the 285/70R17 ones on my JK now and I love them but that is the highest they go on the 17" rims.

So I am either getting the 35" Nitto Ridge Grapplers (with a lift) or I will stick to the 285/70R17 Kumhos that I have now. I will probably start with the Kumhos first and move up to 35's when they wear out, that gives me time to choose a lift, try and make it legal etc.... and I don't really need 35s.. but then again I technically don't really neeeed a JL either...

OP
OP

Steve0

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi S3
In Coorparoo. You might be right, could be a dealer built vehicle? My dealer told me they sold a JL to the local ARB boss to fit some of their gear, could be his/hers but I don’t recognize the front bar, and it would most likely have ARB all over it if it was? Kumho’s or Nitto’s are good tyre choices by the way, would look great with the 35’s. Couple more pics….

4.jpg

5.jpg

Sponsored

OP
OP

Steve0

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi S3
This is why jeep needs to fit 33's to the Aussie spec rubicon, so we can legally run 35's without putting up with this BS

COKENOGOOD

First Name
Hugh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR-Black
Does anyone know, if I want to put 35” on legally, how much would it cost?

Joe98

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019, 2 door Sport S, Mojito!
Does anyone know, if I want to put 35” on legally, how much would it cost?
The tyres are likely to be $300 - $400 each.. And you need to ensure they would fit.

COKENOGOOD

First Name
Hugh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR-Black
The tyres are likely to be $300 - $400 each.. And you need to ensure they would fit.
Sorry, I’m thinking of the certify cost.... they are unroadworthy without certification.

Steve F

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR, JKU
Sorry, I’m thinking of the certify cost.... they are unroadworthy without certification.
After getting them to fit (lift etc) it would require a lane change test etc, looking at a minimum of 2K to get started. 305/70R17 or 34's are not a lot different and not need to get an engineers certificate etc :)
Sponsored