What tyres do you plan to run on your JL in Oz

COKENOGOOD

First Name
Hugh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR-Black
After getting them to fit (lift etc) it would require a lane change test etc, looking at a minimum of 2K to get started. 305/70R17 or 34's are not a lot different and not need to get an engineers certificate etc :)
2k+ sounds a lot for one extra inch...
Are you using 305?
Sponsored

JJames

First Name
Jomesh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Range Rover Evoque
Yep, 305 on mine with 2" lift going on so all 100% legal :) Hard to gauge the size on the jeep so included a pic next to the stock 255/75R17

Jeep Wrangler JL What tyres do you plan to run on your JL in Oz 20210410_141616

Jeep Wrangler JL What tyres do you plan to run on your JL in Oz 20210410_141616
What lift kit did you go with? Mopar / ARB/ other?

Jeepster_Aus

First Name
Renier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon
I would love 285/75R17, but unfortunately it’s not a common size in Aus. 305/70 are a bit wide for a 7.5” wheel so I’ll probably go with 295/70.

Steve F

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR, JKU
What lift kit did you go with? Mopar / ARB/ other?
Just the teraflex leveling kit, so 2" at the front and 1.5" in the rear, I want to be legal lift height and most of the others take it over the 2" despite the 2" claim. I also got the mopar lift kit lower control arms to help with the caster (Longer than stock) and a toughdog adjustable panhard to ensure everything stays centered. I may swap out the shocks but we get the red rubicon shocks anyway so they are setup for a lift close to this, will see how that goes. I'll be fitting the lift this week :)

Sponsored

AusJeepNoob

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Wrangler Unlimited - Rubicon EcoDiesel
I'm running Maxxis Razr AT811 in a 35x12.5R17. Have been running them for a bit over 6 months now. No flares. So far no issues but I haven't been to Lithgow, North Richmond or any of the other crappy places in Sydney where the power trip HWP seem to work. Those in suburban Sydney don't seem to have an issue with them given I've been followed numerous times by both HWP and GD.

Harvs

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Wrangler Rubicon 2.2 Diesel
I would like BFG 33s KM3 but the cost for 1/2 ” lift is not worth it.
I sticking to my 32s for now with a AEV lift. This might sound strange but hear me out.
Keeping the unsprug weight of the tyres down
Braking ability
More controlled hill dissents
Less Rolling resistance in sand
No reduction in power and will hold 8th gear
Less wear and load on drive train

This video explains it the best in Oz (It’s amazing to see the braking distance changes by quit a lot between a 33 and 35)

I also looked at Nitto trial grapplers 295/70R17 34” but they are a lot
heavier and I’m told you have to air down to single figures to get them to bulge as the side walls are very stiff. And bead locks are illegal in Oz.

Anyway I am happy to hear comments and any suggestions you guys in Oz have.

COKENOGOOD

First Name
Hugh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR-Black
I would like BFG 33s KM3 but the cost for 1/2 ” lift is not worth it.
I sticking to my 32s for now with a AEV lift. This might sound strange but hear me out.
Keeping the unsprug weight of the tyres down
Braking ability
More controlled hill dissents
Less Rolling resistance in sand
No reduction in power and will hold 8th gear
Less wear and load on drive train

This video explains it the best in Oz (It’s amazing to see the braking distance changes by quit a lot between a 33 and 35)

I also looked at Nitto trial grapplers 295/70R17 34” but they are a lot
heavier and I’m told you have to air down to single figures to get them to bulge as the side walls are very stiff. And bead locks are illegal in Oz.

Anyway I am happy to hear comments and any suggestions you guys in Oz have.
1. from what I have found out, you don't need any lift for 33". Maybe or maybe not even for 34"
2. I saw the video. Don't like that much..because I think his 33" (33.8") is closer to 34", and 35" is not true 35" (34.4").
3. 295/70r17 is a 33" tyre to me (33.3"). if you want 34", it's 285/75r17 or 305/70r17.
4. US rubicon has 33" from factory. Many people say that only need to regear if you have 35+

Personally, my current thought on lift is, lifting vehicle is to give you more space for bigger tyre. If you have enough space or stay with stock tyre, there is not many benefits from lifting. (I may be lack of knowledge on that, please let me know). if you want to stay stock, you can choose to replace shocks only.

Steve F

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR, JKU
As shown a couple of posts up I am running 305/70R17 (34's), it still holds 8th, brakes great and plenty of power, in fact it feels no different to the factory 32's :)

Sponsored

Harvs

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1. from what I have found out, you don't need any lift for 33". Maybe or maybe not even for 34"
2. I saw the video. Don't like that much..because I think his 33" (33.8") is closer to 34", and 35" is not true 35" (34.4").
3. 295/70r17 is a 33" tyre to me (33.3"). if you want 34", it's 285/75r17 or 305/70r17.
4. US rubicon has 33" from factory. Many people say that only need to regear if you have 35+

Personally, my current thought on lift is, lifting vehicle is to give you more space for bigger tyre. If you have enough space or stay with stock tyre, there is not many benefits from lifting. (I may be lack of knowledge on that, please let me know). if you want to stay stock, you can choose to replace shocks only.
The only reason I am doing the lift is because I have been bottoming the chassis up in the Vic high country also was bottoming on sand dunes in desert. Also off to cape York soon so it will give me better approach and departure angles as well keep me up a bit on the river crossings. The JL springs are on the soft side and with a fully loadEd jeep ie roof top tent, winch, draws etc the AEV springs should do the trick as they are progressive. Cheers

Harvs

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
As shown a couple of posts up I am running 305/70R17 (34's), it still holds 8th, brakes great and plenty of power, in fact it feels no different to the factory 32's :)
Thanks that’s great info

COKENOGOOD

First Name
Hugh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR-Black
The only reason I am doing the lift is because I have been bottoming the chassis up in the Vic high country also was bottoming on sand dunes in desert. Also off to cape York soon so it will give me better approach and departure angles as well keep me up a bit on the river crossings. The JL springs are on the soft side and with a fully loadEd jeep ie roof top tent, winch, draws etc the AEV springs should do the trick as they are progressive. Cheers
:like:
have you measured the height gained by AEV? I heard it’s a 3” lift without any loads?

COKENOGOOD

First Name
Hugh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR-Black
Ordered 285/75/17 KM3 from MyCar..Estimated waiting is 3 months.
If I'm going to change rim offset, I may try 305/70/17 RAZER next time.

AusJeepNoob

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Wrangler Unlimited - Rubicon EcoDiesel
I'm running 35s and can hold 8th most of the time. I have a diesel and have a tuning box so that helps but I have run it without the tune and it would still hold 8th on the freeway most of the time.
Sponsored