Sponsored

What type of winch line / fairlead do you have?

What type of winch line/fairlead do you have?

• Total voters

Mole351

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Just curious. Most every pic I seem to see here has the hawse fairlead so am guessing 90% have synthetic rope in their winch?

Honestly being a newbie I didn’t know the difference between fairlead type - I would have most likely gotten a hawse with a steel cable if I hadn’t just come across the info in trying to find a license plate mount for a fairlead - lol!
Sponsored

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Just curious. Most every pic I seem to see here has the hawse fairlead so am guessing 90% have synthetic rope in their winch?

Honestly being a newbie I didn’t know the difference between fairlead type - I would have most likely gotten a hawse with a steel cable if I hadn’t just come across the info in trying to find a license plate mount for a fairlead - lol!
The Warn VR series winches with steel cables come with a hawse type fairlead, so clearly it can be done. However, they are cast iron, not aluminum. Most go with synthetic rope because it is lighter and they say it is safer. I have never seen a roller fairlead with synthetic rope though.

silverbullet

First Name
Keaton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU, 2018 JLU Rubi
Steel line will tear up an aluminum hawse. Go with synthetic and don't look back, the advantages are worth the extra cost.

BillG

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting Gray JLUR / 15 Harley Tri glide / 50 Dodge Rat pickup
Also if you go steel and later change to synthetic, either get a new snatch block or really check your old one. Steel cable can cause burs that will be really abrasive to synthetic line.