First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Willy's Diesel 4 door Sarge Green
Occupation
Software Engineer
Hey gang.. I have a un-modded Willy's with the tow package. I'm thinking of renting a uhaul trailer, and I was wondering what kind of receiver hitch I should get. Do I need to get the hitch with a 2 inch drop like this one 2 inch drop hitch or a straight one? I'm new to all this stuff.. this is fun! :)
Sponsored

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
Measure to the top of the receiver tube opening and subtract 18.5" (per Uhaul FAQ), that will give you the correct drop hitch to use.

That's a pretty universal height, same as my boat trailer.

IIRC a 2" ball is most common, and should work with the Uhaul per their site. Note, this is a different number than the 2" tube on the reciever.

Jeep Wrangler JL What type of receiver hitch to tow uhaul trailer 1626966020005

OP
OP
davers

davers

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Software Engineer
Measure to the top of the receiver tube opening and subtract 18.5" (per Uhaul FAQ), that will give you the correct drop hitch to use.

That's a pretty universal height, same as my boat trailer.

IIRC a 2" ball is most common, and should work with the Uhaul per their site. Note, this is a different number than the 2" tube on the reciever.

Jeep Wrangler JL What type of receiver hitch to tow uhaul trailer 1626966020005
Wow! Good info! Thanks GATORB8!

MrGneissGuy

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport
Not sure what you have, but just in case, thought I'd try to save you the surprise. U-Haul's website says they will not rent a trailer to a Jeep with a soft top. I found that highly disappointing. I am not sure why, though there are threads in here with folks talking about that.

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Sponsored

Gregj

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon, JLU Sport, JTuRD
I recently rented a trailer from them to pickup axles and a 2 inch drop was not enough, I ended up with a 5 1/2 inch drop and it was great.

On a side note the guy questioned my SOT claiming it was a soft-top and they would not rent a trailer to me. I was able to convince him it was a hardtop due to the glass windows and hard sides.
Gregj

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
Hey gang.. I have a un-modded Willy's with the tow package. I'm thinking of renting a uhaul trailer, and I was wondering what kind of receiver hitch I should get. Do I need to get the hitch with a 2 inch drop like this one 2 inch drop hitch or a straight one? I'm new to all this stuff.. this is fun! :)
Although you didn't ask Dave, do be advised that your JLU's maximum Gross Trailer Weight (GTW) is 3500 lbs. That's the weight of the trailer plus its contents.

OP
OP
davers

davers

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Software Engineer
They consider a Jeep a convertible. They will not rent trailers to any convertible.
I had noticed that on their website.. just to help out, here's straight from their site

Towing vehicle requirements
  • Must be equipped with a hard top if it is an SUV or Jeep. U-Haul does not allow any type of sport-utility vehicle not equipped with a hard top to tow U-Haul equipment.
  • Tow vehicle and trailer lighting must be operational at all times, day and night. All U-Haul trailers and towing are wired with a 4-way flat light connector.
  • The curb weight of your tow vehicle must exceed the weight of the loaded trailer.
  • In order to tow, your vehicle must be equipped with an adequate hitch system and lighting connections. Your hitch system includes the receiver hitch, ball mount and ball. The overall rating is determined by the lowest rated component of the three. How to determine your hitch system rating.
  • Must have 1-7/8" or, 2" hitch ball (2,000 lbs. minimum)
  • Must not exceed maximum allowable hitch ball height 25"
  • Must have external mirrors on both sides
  • The allowed cargo in this trailer will be calculated based on the curb weight of your vehicle and the lowest rated component of your hitch system.
  • Maximum recommended speed is 55 MPH
  • Load trailers heavier in front.
  • Reduce normal driving speed.
  • Wear a seatbelt.

brewtus98

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sahara, 2003 TJ, 2004 TJ Rubicon, 2004 LJ
Vehicle Showcase
Just got back for 1600 mile round trip with single axle 4x8' Uhaul. Factory Tow setup and used a 2" drop/ 2" ball - pulled trailer through mountains 75+ no issues. About 2000 lbs total trailer, 4 adults and a dog in the jeep - got about 16.5 mpg. 3.6L automatic/hardtop.

Yes Uhaul told me if it was soft-top they wouldn't rent to me.