Sponsored

What tools would you keep on board for the JL to get it to the shop?

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
Especially when remote, what would you have on hand? What would be the BARE essentials? What size sockets, wrenches, etc?
Sponsored

MarkY3130

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Especially when remote, what would you have on hand? What would be the BARE essentials? What size sockets, wrenches, etc?
I’ve posted this a few times, but here’s the packing list for a plastic tote I keep loaded up. I put it in when I go off-roading. Also have first aid kit/water/etc

Tools To Carry

• Ratchet strap
  • Shop towels
  • Air compressor
  • Recovery gear
  • Zip ties
  • Socket adapters
  • Motor oil
  • ATF+4
  • Gear oil
  • Ratchet extensions
  • Hammer
  • 18-24mm deep sockets
  • 3/4 socket
  • Trash bags
  • Toilet paper
  • Water jugs
  • Lighter
  • Wrenches. 8mm-24mm and SAE
  • Tire deflator
  • Loctite
  • Tire repair kit
  • Nitrile gloves
  • Duct Tape
  • Spark plug socket 5/8”
  • Torx bits
  • Pliers
  • Starter fluid
  • Steering/ pitman socket
  • Axle nut socket.
  • 1/2 drive ratchet
  • Pry bar
  • Craftsman tool kit (sockets)
  • Bottle jack and extensions/base plate

OP
OP
DadJokes

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
I’ve posted this a few times, but here’s the packing list for a plastic tote I keep loaded up. I put it in when I go off-roading. Also have first aid kit/water/etc

Tools To Carry

• Ratchet strap
  • Shop towels
  • Air compressor
  • Recovery gear
  • Zip ties
  • Socket adapters
  • Motor oil
  • ATF+4
  • Gear oil
  • Ratchet extensions
  • Hammer
  • 18-24mm deep sockets
  • 3/4 socket
  • Trash bags
  • Toilet paper
  • Water jugs
  • Lighter
  • Tire deflator
  • Loctite
  • Tire repair kit
  • Nitrile gloves
  • Duct Tape
  • Spark plug socket 5/8”
  • Torx bits
  • Pliers
  • Starter fluid
  • Axle nut socket.
  • 1/2 drive ratchet
  • Pry bar
Awesome thanks!

Anyone else have another list to compare and bounce ideas around? What do others think you need to have on hand for the repairs a non-rock crawler might encounter? And how far do you go to be prepared outside of having a shop truck follow you? :)

I guess right now I’m focusing on tools first as I just got a nice compact but organized tool bag. I’ll have a separate FULL multi option recovery bag with all the new kits I’ve accumulated. Fluids are a great idea as well. I’m trying to balance keeping free space and weight as well.

Bryce

First Name
Bryce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Add in a copy of OBD Jcan, a BT OBDII adapter and the secuity bypass cable. Or some other way to pull and reset codes

OP
OP
DadJokes

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
Add in a copy of OBD Jcan, a BT OBDII adapter and the secuity bypass cable. Or some other way to pull and reset codes
Would the Tazer Mini suffice? I haven’t gotten tires yet and I’m leaning that direction at the moment.

Sponsored

JimLee

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU
This, X1000. My Jeep tried to strand me and the wife in the middle of the desert on an 108F degree day, my flashcal was the only way to clear the codes and get it out of "limp mode" and it wasn't gonna make it out on the 3 cylinders that the computer left running. I have a good selection of survival gear at all times (don't trust the Jeep) but walking out of there would have been hell and the tow bill would have likely been in the thousands. This is why I shake my head when people have issues with their new Jeeps and other people on this forum say "just take it to the dealer, all new vehicles have problems, etc..etc". Going to the dealer or calling a tow truck is not an option when your expensive "offroad" vehicle strands you in the middle of nowhere.

40”JLURD

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Unlimited Rubicon Diesel
Occupation
Bad Mother Fucker
This, X1000. My Jeep tried to strand me and the wife in the middle of the desert on an 108F degree day, my flashcal was the only way to clear the codes and get it out of "limp mode" and it wasn't gonna make it out on the 3 cylinders that the computer left running. I have a good selection of survival gear at all times (don't trust the Jeep) but walking out of there would have been hell and the tow bill would have likely been in the thousands. This is why I shake my head when people have issues with their new Jeeps and other people on this forum say "just take it to the dealer, all new vehicles have problems, etc..etc". Going to the dealer or calling a tow truck is not an option when your expensive "offroad" vehicle strands you in the middle of nowhere.
Yup and this is when knowing your way around a wrench or in your case a scanner is literally PRICELESS

OP
OP
DadJokes

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
I guess you’d need the code definition list too since you’d likely not have internet.

JimLee

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU
I guess you’d need the code definition list too since you’d likely not have internet.
The superchips gives you the code definition, built in database. I would assume the Tazer can as well but I'm not sure. If you are using something that doesn't I'm sure you could download a PDF and store it on a phone or tablet or even print it out.

Sponsored

OP
OP
DadJokes

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
The superchips gives you the code definition, built in database. I would assume the Tazer can as well but I'm not sure. If you are using something that doesn't I'm sure you could download a PDF and store it on a phone or tablet or even print it out.
Fancy! lol Not like the old ones I’ve used.

Robertcladner

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL / 2010 Jeep JK
Does anyone use Garmin Overlander or a Magellan TR5, etc for off road GPS?
I use the Garmin Overlander for a back-up navigation device. It has saved me several times when my phone was out of cell range.
Jeep Wrangler JL What tools would you keep on board for the JL to get it to the shop? ugged-Multipurpose-Navigator-for-Off-Grid-Guidance
Jeep Wrangler JL What tools would you keep on board for the JL to get it to the shop? 3.Magellan-TR5-Street-and-GPS-Navigator

Last edited:

Thegrants82

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL

Tools To Carry

• Ratchet strap
  • Shop towels
  • Air compressor
  • Recovery gear
  • Zip ties
  • Socket adapters
  • Motor oil
  • ATF+4
  • Gear oil
  • Ratchet extensions
  • Hammer
  • 18-24mm deep sockets
  • 3/4 socket
  • Trash bags
  • Toilet paper
  • Water jugs
  • Lighter
  • Tire deflator
  • Loctite
  • Tire repair kit
  • Nitrile gloves
  • Duct Tape
  • Spark plug socket 5/8”
  • Torx bits
  • Pliers
  • Starter fluid
  • Axle nut socket.
  • 1/2 drive ratchet
  • Pry bar
My 2 door would need a trailer to carry all of that crap. Over Half of that is big time overkill..
Sponsored