What tools would you keep on board for the JL to get it to the shop?

MarkY3130

First Name
Mark
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
My 2 door would need a trailer to carry all of that crap. Over Half of that is big time overkill..
It has sure come in handy a few times...

it’s really not that bad. I fit it in a Plano tote that is about the width of the rear, maybe 13” tall and 13” deep. (Guessing here)

I still have room for my electric fridge/freezer that I also bring on most trips.

When my family of four goes to Moab, I bring that tote, fridge/freezer, and all our crap for a week and can still see out the back window. We aren’t camping, but seriously, it isn’t that bad.

8ED39CC0-512B-42C2-9029-8CB48D04C039.jpeg

Advertisement

MarkY3130

First Name
Mark
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Here's a link to the tote I use.

Sportsman's Trunk Large Black | PLANO® | Storage (planomolding.com)

Here's the link to the tote I used to use (broke apart at some point.)

HDX 17 Gal. Tough Storage Bin in Black-SH17GTOUGHTLDBY - The Home Depot

The Plano trunk has to go in side to side. The Home Depot one fits front to back. Both fit all that stuff no problem.

For sure its overkill if you don't use your jeep the way I do. At the very least, my list should be good to get someone thinking about what they might want for how they use their Jeep. Any question on why I bring something on that list I am happy to answer. I assure you, everything is there because of a prior need on a rock crawling adventure, either for myself, or for others in the group or other groups we come upon. An obvious one to pick on would be the starter fluid. Starter fluid won't help you start one of these JL's, why would you carry that? If you need to reseat a tire bead on the trail, you'll be thankful you have that starter fluid. Much simpler than the ratchet strap and air compressor method. (unless you have a powertank)

If you think mine is overkill, check out a recent video by ponytail on youtube as he packs for the recent JKX trip.

I like totes. I have different ones for different activities. I have one similar to the Plano trunk that has fly fishing gear in it. Waders, rods, reels, flies, net, etc. Going rock crawling, grab the one tote. Going fishing, grab the other one. Etc.

OP
DadJokes

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
I don’t think I’ll be crawling any bigger rocks than my clearance allows or scaling near vertical walls/shelves where skids are a necessity so where does it end? I don’t know that I’d want to carry a spare axle, or other large spares. Maybe a U joint if things aren’t Fubared too bad. There’s some things on your list that I think anyone going far away from civilization should take. At some point though, I may reside ourselves to needing a recovery even if it’s sting the credit card after trying all my recovery options and we can’t limp off the trail. If it was a large group where each could carry one thing someone would need, that would lessen the load out.

It’s definitely a case by case and individual preference thing to an extent. But again, some things are no brainers.

Right now, what size sockets specific to the JL would everyone carry and what specific breakage would you be prepared to fix with those sockets/wrenches?

OP
DadJokes

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sahara

LittleDog

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara JLU
8ED39CC0-512B-42C2-9029-8CB48D04C039.jpeg

What manner of crazy homebrew jack stand is that, preventing your buddy from pushing that jeep over, despite his best attempts? Wingnuts + Jack-bases Forever. Could use a few washers though.

Pretty sure that control arm skid was laughing at the entire wheel assembly in this photo.

I carry an adjustable stool in the back now because I can't squat like that for more than five minutes anymore without crying afterwards. Highly recommended.

OP
DadJokes

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
Besides the 22mm for factory lug nuts, off the top of your head, do you know of any other sockets you should have in short, deep, or both?

Advertisement

Hothead Headliners

Advertisement