what to use to clean engine bay

sprk33

First Name
Joseph Long
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon JL
ok, might sound like weird question but what does everyone use to get all the muddy water and mud stains out of the engine bay. Want it to be clean again :)
Sponsored

richk225

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392Rubicon XR 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Occupation
retired due to broken back
You can always cover it with more mud and sand
I used to spray down my JK with engine cleaner on a warm not hot engine, and used spray oven cleaner for the really tough stains. I used a small 1500psi electric power washer.
I myself am a little Leary with my new JL, it seems like there are enough electrical Gremlins without adding water. On my race boats I used dielectric grease on every commection. There is actually a product made by Mercury Marine that you can spray on the connectors, that’s back from the distrubiter and points days. My M5 was given a steam cleaning once and that was one very expensive mistake on their part.
Without a doubt a good question

mazeppa

First Name
y = x/0
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR Panda
Occupation
knife sharpening snob
Keep up with a clean engine bay and it will be easy to maintain. Depending how dirty it is, I might just use Simple Green or a engine degreaser when very dirty; using manual elbow grease to wipe off and LOW pressure water to rinse. I am pickier about keeping up with a clean engine bay, undercarriage, and interior over a clean exterior.

Elganja

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Bright White JLUR, 2015 Dodge Viper GT, 2014 Audi R8 V10, 2015 Audi S3
i just did this recently-- i bought some "simple green hd" from home depot, diluted to 13 parts water to 1 part simple green. I used a low pressure hose to rinse it, sprayed simple green everywhere and let it soak for 5min or so-- then rinsed it off again. i did this whole procedure twice.

I would say to take caution when near the battery, fuses and airbox ... other then that, i hosed it down really well and had great results.

FYI, if you went mudding, you probably have mud all under too and even in the fenders. I know from personal experience... I would recommend the simple green bath on all the moving parts underneath too (axles, suspension, driveshaft, etc...)

Sponsored

JIMBOX

First Name
JAMES
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CHEROKEE TRAILHAWK/ JEEP GLADIATOR
Occupation
RETIRED
Yeah, I've been using SIMPLE GREEN for years, mixed with water in a spray bottle, spray on and let set for 5 minutes, rinse with COLD WATER, no pressure ever and be sure to wipe and dry any polished/aluminum parts-

Also use on alloy wheels/w rinse/wax-

W.E.

JIMBO

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
I always make sure the engine is cool. I then plug the air intake and use a pressured bug sprayer with a high concentration of car wash soap, because it is very mild. I then spray the engine and let it sit a bit, then rinse. I'll use a brush if there are any areas with mud or tough grime. I never use high pressure spray. That can cause water to get into electrical connections, which is bad. If I have any oily or greasy parts of the engine, I spray them first with engine degreaser. I do this about twice a year. The engine in my 11 year old JK with 126k miles on it looks like new.

A clean engine bay helps the engine to run a little cooler and it helps you catch any leaks early and it helps you to more easily locate the source.

dirt2danasty

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Black
I personally use Purple Power which you can find just about anywhere and like mentioned earlier put one parts PP and 10-12 parts water. Spray it around the engine bay, carefully not trying to force into the air filter compartments or fuse box. Wait about 5 minutes then use the sprayer on your garden house to rinse it out. Let it air dry thoroughly and boom you are good to go.

OP
OP
sprk33

sprk33

First Name
Joseph Long
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thks everyone for your comments.....I am going again sunday so maybe Monday it will be engine bay clean up day ;)

OP
OP
sprk33

sprk33

First Name
Joseph Long
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You can always cover it with more mud and sand
I used to spray down my JK with engine cleaner on a warm not hot engine, and used spray oven cleaner for the really tough stains. I used a small 1500psi electric power washer.
I myself am a little Leary with my new JL, it seems like there are enough electrical Gremlins without adding water. On my race boats I used dielectric grease on every commection. There is actually a product made by Mercury Marine that you can spray on the connectors, that’s back from the distrubiter and points days. My M5 was given a steam cleaning once and that was one very expensive mistake on their part.
Without a doubt a good question

I am going out with a group again Sunday....So, Monday will be engine bay clean up day along with rest of Jeep lmao

Sponsored

Goin2drt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubicon, 17 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
Spray low pressure to get wet on cold motor, spray with Simple Green, let stand a bit. Soft brush on the really bad parts but usually not ever necessary. Rinse with low pressure. Good as gold. Do it frequent and it will never get really bad.

Mr. Beef Chief

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sport
I do the same as most.

Cover the air intake.
Dry clean it, use a leaf blower and brushes to get all the dirt off.
Spray it with simple green, let it soak.
Rinse out the engine bay with low water pressure.
Rinse and repeat if need be.
Last step, use a car detailer. This brings back the deep black colors, it also gives your engine bay a protective layer. This will help prevent less mud from sticking next time.

Take cover off air intake.
User leaf blower to dry or just drive the jeep.

IMG_4864.jpg
IMG_4920.jpg

TrillestSon

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
I do the same as most.

Cover the air intake.
Dry clean it, use a leaf blower and brushes to get all the dirt off.
Spray it with simple green, let it soak.
Rinse out the engine bay with low water pressure.
Rinse and repeat if need be.
Last step, use a car detailer. This brings back the deep black colors, it also gives your engine bay a protective layer. This will help prevent less mud from sticking next time.

Take cover off air intake.
User leaf blower to dry or just drive the jeep.

IMG_4864.jpg
IMG_4920.jpg
WOW! Totally not sketched about mine now haha. That has to be the pic from when you got it new below!

Hellraizer

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Been using this on my ATV's for years. Works great but can only be bought at the honda power sports dealer or possibly online I've never checked

20200405_141440.jpg
Sponsored