Sponsored

What to look for when purchasing a used JL.UW 2021 Willys?

JJ_WA

First Name
JJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 Dakota, 2017 Cherokee, 2023 Willys XR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Higher Education
Clubs

I'm planning on going tomorrow to look at a 2021 Willys (JLUW) at a local dealer. 20k miles, clean car fax. Pictures show 35" Cooper Discoverers on "interesting" 22" Fuel wheels. Not crazy about the wheels, based on the pictures, but those are easy enough to change. The good news is I doubt they ever were taken off road.

What should I be looking for in addition to appearances (body and underneath), engine, transmission? Interior checks for upholstery, working gauges and accessories.

Is there a checklist available that will help me check it over? I tried searching but came up empty-handed.

Thanks much!
Sponsored

Last edited:

Bulletbill

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
This is a new Jeep JL purchase checklist from a while ago. It might help.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/jl-delivery-checklist.3453/

You also probably want to question what type of lift was put on to accommodate the 35s on 22”s. If it wasn’t designed for off road use and you intend on taking it on difficult trails it may be problematic over the long haul. Also, verify who installed it and that it was done correctly.

Hope this helps. Good luck with your purchase!

Edit: One more item to check is the paint on all of the hinges. Look on the hood, doors, and tailgate for bubbles or peeling.

OP
OP
JJ_WA

JJ_WA

First Name
JJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Higher Education
Clubs

Thanks to you both. I got caught in the rabbit hole of a thread @Bulletbill gave. I'd seen it before but started taking notes. ~ I'll be looking for rust, too, @TheBirdie72.

OP
OP
JJ_WA

JJ_WA

First Name
JJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Higher Education
Clubs

Here's a short check list I made up from a couple of different sources. Feel free to add on to it.

Before going to meet the seller and look over the vehicle, print off a copy of the Window Sticker - use https://www.chrysler.com/hostd/windowsticker/getWindowStickerPdf.do?vin= (add the VIN here), Carfax, too, if available. Also, check Kelly Blue Book for the current value in your area for the same model/year/mileage/etc.

If you're planning on negotiating for an extended warranty, check the forums for "extended warranty" there are a couple of choices. https://www.chryslerfactoryplans.com for one (Use code PAYINFULL) and Granger ([email protected]). Going armed with the quotes gives you better leverage.

Research and inspect to ensure you are getting good deal for a good Jeep.

Attachments

Sponsored

CopperMtnGuy

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler, 2005 KJ
If it has the 8.4" screen, make sure the compass works and is correct. I think it's more of an 18 issue, but if it doesn't work right, the GPS card in the UConnect unit is bad and the whole thing needs to be replaced.

BullMoose1776

First Name
Bull
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Project Manager
May be too late, but you definitely want to rev the motor, holding rpms above 2500-3000, and listen for rattles. If it's a 3.6 and it has any rattles under the hood it's probably collapsed lifters which means it needs a new motor.

OP
OP
JJ_WA

JJ_WA

First Name
JJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link