Sponsored

What to look for in a test drive before accepting new Wrangler??

el_guapo

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Dodge Viper, JLU 392
I'm new to Jeeps but should be picking up my 392 in about a month. Feels like it's been 60 days straight of Christmas Eve with 30 more in front of me...

My build includes Granite Crystal, gorilla glass, dual doors, hard-top liner, all-weather floor mats, hinge-gate reinforcement, trailer tow package, front camera...

Curious what recommendations you have for what to test/check prior to accepting it from the dealership.

Based on what I've read here, the first 7 will be:

1) check alignment, does it run straight on a flat, straight road
2) u-turns & tight turns, any problems with warning lights or power steering
3) how's the steering feel at highway speeds, sounds like some of them jump all over the road and some are better
4) check that fuses are completely inserted
5) what color is the tailgate plate (those on the 392 boards know what that means, likely fine at this point though)
6) does the paint on various surfaces match (someone posted about a brown hue on parts of their Granite Crystal Jeep)
7) check engine light (as @Alleycat392 says, " PLEASE MAKE SURE you never take possession of a new vehicle with check engine light still on at dealership under ANY circumstances")

Thanks in advance for your ideas.

Edits below:

8) make sure dealership fillls it up with 91 octane
9) pick up only in daylight
10) instruct dealer not to wash
11) check true pressure before driving
Sponsored

Last edited:

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
First thing is to check tire pressures.

Dealers love to over inflate the tires to 40+. Factory recommended is 36 PSI.

That alone will determine how the entire test drive feels —i.e., the steering, the ride, etc.

You can check individual tire pressures on the electronic display nestled between the gauges; you scroll to it with the up/down buttons on the left side of the steering wheel.

Good luck!

OP
OP
el_guapo

el_guapo

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
Based on what I've read here, the first 7 will be:

1) check alignment, does it run straight on a flat, straight road
2) u-turns & tight turns, any problems with warning lights or power steering
3) how's the steering feel at highway speeds, sounds like some of them jump all over the road and some are better
4) check that fuses are completely inserted
5) what color is the tailgate plate (those on the 392 boards know what that means, likely fine at this point though)
6) does the paint on various surfaces match (someone posted about a brown hue on parts of their Granite Crystal Jeep)
7) check engine light (as @Alleycat392 says, " PLEASE MAKE SURE you never take possession of a new vehicle with check engine light still on at dealership under ANY circumstances")

Thanks in advance for your ideas.
I'd recommending moving #4 to #1. Examining the fuse box was the very first thing I did when I walked up to my new Jeep on the morning of my delivery appt. They were all correctly seated, but there's any number of owners on this forum who can't make the same claim.

Unseated fuses could cause all sorts of false flags during your pre-paperwork test drive. Prevent this by attending to a bit of housekeeping first. 👍

Sponsored

wolfdog

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Yamaha FJR1300, 2021 JTO, 2018 JLU Sahara
Occupation
Maritime Artisan, Mayflower II
Check very carefully for a V-8!!!!!

Go Jeep!!!!

OP
OP
el_guapo

el_guapo

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Check very carefully for a V-8!!!!!

Go Jeep!!!!
If I can't slide a piece of paper between engine compartment components, I should be safe, right?

RedundanT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
What to check on a new vehicle? Seriously? It's freaking NEW, there is a warranty. Damn

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Most important of all, make sure it has these:
Jeep Wrangler JL What to look for in a test drive before accepting new Wrangler?? 1627688986944

OP
OP
el_guapo

el_guapo

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Added 'make sure dealership fillls with 91 octane' to the list, read somewhere they might not get that right.

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP
el_guapo

el_guapo

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Also wanted to ask if anyone has had problems with the dealership washing the car before taking delivery? I'm worried they may end up scratching the clear coat if they don't know what they're doing...

EJWF11

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR
Also wanted to ask if anyone has had problems with the dealership washing the car before taking delivery? I'm worried they may end up scratching the clear coat if they don't know what they're doing...
Instruct them not to. Keep in mind, the same guy washing your car used the same bucket and mitt on the repair job before hand.

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
I instructed my salesman, prior to delivery day, that my new Wrangler was not to go through the dealer's prep (wash & vacuum) process. The only thing the Svc Dept touched on that vehicle was the windscreen, since PA State safety and emission inspection stickers had to be affixed. Otherwise, I said, isolate the Jeep after it comes off the truck, and fill it up with 91 octane during my pre-paperwork test drive.

Things worked out exactly as I had requested.

OP
OP
el_guapo

el_guapo

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I instructed my salesman, prior to delivery day, that my new Wrangler was not to go through the dealer's prep (wash & vacuum) process. The only thing the Svc Dept touched on that vehicle was the windscreen, since PA State safety and emission inspection stickers had to be affixed. Otherwise, I said, isolate the Jeep after it comes off the truck, and fill it up with 91 octane during my pre-paperwork test drive.

Things worked out exactly as I had requested.
Great to hear, very helpful. I'll do the same.
Sponsored