Sponsored

What to have checked out before 36k mile warranty expires?

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
I'm about to hit 35k miles on my JT bought late October 2019. I missed my 30k mile service interval mark (did my own oil and filters), so will combine that and the 40k mile stuff.

30k is just inspecting cv/u-joints, oil, filters, etc. 40k adds replacing axle fluid (for severe use, which per manual includes off-roading and towing but does not clarify how much is needed of such activities to consider severe use). Overall looking at $700, less about $85 for changing my own oil and $85 for replacing my own AC/Cabin filters. $90 for adjusting a parking break? Really?

What else should I have them look at? Check diff fluid?

I intend to do the vast majority of maintenance/repairs on the Jeep myself. But, for documentation purposes I want a dealership (the one I usually go to, they've been fine) to do a thorough lookover before my bumper-to-bumper goes out.

I do have an "Extended Warranty" type coverage through my car insurance, but that's a fall-back plan for post-factory warranty.

And before anyone says to detail and clean it "like new", won't help. There's scrapes on skidplates and frame, control arms, and mud on some hosing that won't come off. We have some pretty interesting county roads here in KY and I have in-laws in Eastern KY where you're going to get mud in places you can't reach/clean out just driving up.
Sponsored

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Check over for leaks, loose front end joints, and check the batteries. You might make a complaint related to some sort of TSB to get a PCM software update as well.

also don’t expect it for free.

johnnyj

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeepless but still a fan.
Just make sure you're at a dealer that is very, very good. Remember, they have incentive not to find anything on an inspection that is warranty now but customer pay soon. I'm not saying incentive makes a person a liar 100% of the time, but it's worth considering.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Just make sure you're at a dealer that is very, very good. Remember, they have incentive not to find anything on an inspection that is warranty now but customer pay soon. I'm not saying incentive makes a person a liar 100% of the time, but it's worth considering.
Or in this case, if it’s under warranty, they get the job, and later when it isn’t, the owner will do it himself. There’s at least a small incentive to find something.

johnnyj

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Or in this case, if it’s under warranty, they get the job, and later when it isn’t, the owner will do it himself. There’s at least a small incentive to find something.
True - and precisely my point. Warranty work pays them in many cases 60% or less of customer pay. If they had nothing else going on, techs standing around, that would make sense. That was the average in my shop days. If they push ya out they can get some 100% paying work in now, and if ya come back later they can get that then, too.

No dealer is keen to snap up warranty work to avoid it going somewhere else. Are there benevolent dealers out there? Sure. They're just a rare bunch.

Sponsored

OP
OP
PyrPatriot

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
Hard to tell if my dealer is "good" but they have treated me well enough. Only mistake has been leaving the power steering reservoir empty ( it is electric steering fluid and not for pneumatic steering) after doing the steering gear box TSB. That TSB ended up needing a new throttle body afterwards so idk if it was good timing or what, but the CEL and error code didnt come up until after the TSB was done.

Other things they have also done and checked out quickly and with no fuss. But as I have noone to compare them to, I cant say if they are "good", certainly not bad yet by what I have read of others' experiences on here.

Their only concern regarding warranty work is if it is under FCA/Stellantis rules. For example, on a takeoff tire/wheel set I was using (the 4th set) my TPMS was not working. They did an update to the system, couldn't figure it out. They also couldn't go further under warranty because the serial numbers on the sensors wouldnt match the ones that came with the Jeep and there is, according to the Service Manager, a system at corporate in place checking such things when old parts are sent back under warranty and the dealership might not get paid for the parts or work. On the other end of the spectrum they replaced my brake booster pump because I thought it sounded too loud.

OP
OP
PyrPatriot

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
True - and precisely my point. Warranty work pays them in many cases 60% or less of customer pay. If they had nothing else going on, techs standing around, that would make sense. That was the average in my shop days. If they push ya out they can get some 100% paying work in now, and if ya come back later they can get that then, too.

No dealer is keen to snap up warranty work to avoid it going somewhere else. Are there benevolent dealers out there? Sure. They're just a rare bunch.
I will not be using this dealership for any work outside of warranty and they know it. Their primary customer base is rich mall crawlers (literally next to a mall) and they dont need my money. Their techs do love working on JTs though.

johnnyj

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Good deal. My advice to anyone having been the tech and seen the dealer, is when things are "kinda" going out...and "might" need to be replaced in the future - and you're close to warranty - take that jeep out and, well, use it under normal operating conditions until the thing breaks fully. Then, go in for the warranty job. =)

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
40k adds replacing axle fluid (for severe use, which per manual includes off-roading and towing but does not clarify how much is needed of such activities to consider severe use). Overall looking at $700
Run away. Changing diff fluid is as easy/easier than changing the engine oil. There’s a whole thread about it, including a YouTube video. Do it yourself. (And do it - at 15,000 miles people are finding that their rear diff oil is very dirty. I did mine at 30,000 and it was not bad.)

Also, if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Maintenance aside, I would never bring a vehicle to the dealer and ask them to find something wrong... you know they will, as that how they get paid.

OP
OP
PyrPatriot

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
Run away. Changing diff fluid is as easy/easier than changing the engine oil. There’s a whole thread about it, including a YouTube video. Do it yourself. (And do it - at 15,000 miles people are finding that their rear diff oil is very dirty. I did mine at 30,000 and it was not bad.)

Also, if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Maintenance aside, I would never bring a vehicle to the dealer and ask them to find something wrong... you know they will, as that how they get paid.
I know I can replace it if I need to. I change my own oil, diff should not be hard. I will have them check it and see what they say. I have the stuff on hand to do it myself.

I am looking for problems now so that they dont become bigger problems later. The powertrain warranty will be fine until 60k miles, so Im trying to make sure everything else is ok.

Surprised nobody mentioned brake stuff. They should be covered within the first 36k miles. So far work fine, but there is this odd oscillation noise that lasts for a few seconds when it is cold outside. New noise, new concern.

Sponsored

OP
OP
PyrPatriot

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
And thank you everyone for your input!

What seals/leaks are most common?

How about electric stuff?

Wicked Weasel

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL - Build date 06/18
  • check for paint corrosion. Around the hinges and on the hood seem to be prime locations.
  • Make sure your heated seat can stay on high for long periods of time.
  • Check rear defroster connection.

Vinman

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
I always clean my vehicles before taking in for any service. I’m not doing it to hide anything I’m doing to show respect for the people that have to drive it and work on it. The old “at least it’s clean” saying goes a long way with the people working on it.

OP
OP
PyrPatriot

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
I always clean my vehicles before taking in for any service. I’m not doing it to hide anything I’m doing to show respect for the people that have to drive it and work on it. The old “at least it’s clean” saying goes a long way with the people working on it.
Oh of course. It makes work easier on the techs. The bit about getting it as clean as new was directed to preempt the folks who chime in saying to make things "spotless" to hide the fact you've been "off roading" or hit a mud puddle or something.

Daily Jeeper

First Name
Lane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sahara Unlimited
Seat squeak, broken visors, and new steering stabilizer (recall) was performed on my Jeep. Not much else has been a problem so far. (knock on wood)
Sponsored