Sponsored

What to do with winch line when not in use?

J0E

First Name
J0e
Threads
Reaction score
Website
bt39.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR, 05 LJR on 43s
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Drywall construction - reel estate
Synthetic is definitely more common than steel these days. It's stronger, lighter, and most would argue safer as a result. You also won't get holes stabbed in your hands by stray strands like a steel cable. It's drawbacks are abrasion resistance and UV light sensitivity (although I think that may be over played). We have a thimble on ours and a sleeve at the end, which does cover a good portion of the end. No other cover and it has been going strong for years.
Steel stores way more energy and has much higher mass so comparing breaks under tension, synthetic is 1000 x safer. But breaks in steel are extremely rare. The way we frequently winch going over a hill, dragging synthetic line through the dirt and rocks is quick death. I'm going with a 12K steel line and not worry about dirt, UV, and abrasion. I've got welding gloves ready to handle the line.
Sponsored

mike_g

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1983 CJ7
I thing odds of a failure are higher with synthetic due to its ability to be cut rather easily. Assuming proper rigging, the failure won’t send any projectile aside from the rope itself. Still dangerous, but not enough mass or inertia to cause sever damage especially when you are talking 3/8” to 1/2” diameter under normal winch loads. I’ve broken 2 over the years, with no winch blanket, and neither so much as scratched the front bumper. I’ve seen a steel cable failure and the vehicle needed a new radiator. Even scarier is the non-linear whipping effect caused by the steel cables coiled “memory”. Synthetic breaks and flies in a straight path with the winch and the anchor point. I’m not standing in that path either way, but I’d definitely give steel a much wider berth under heavy load. As far as thimbles go, spend what you want but the $40 Amazon special has served me well under hard pulls with no deformation of any kind.
It's not just the memory, steel cable is much less flexible. When steel fails, it tends to arc out to release the energy, in addition to the added weight. You'll want to give a wide berth to your recovery with steel. A synthetic that fails will tend to release its energy in a straight line, so the dangerous areas are pretty much in-line with the recovery operation, plus the triangle of death if using a snatch for redirection.

But you do need to care more for synthetics as discussed by others, and it's probably not going to last nearly as long as steel even if well cared for, so you'll have to replace it sooner. With steel you will get cable strands coming out and if you're not careful you can get a really nasty cut from those. However, one or two stands sticking out doesn't mean the cable needs to be replaced. On a synthetic you would want to cut out the damaged section and splice it, if possible, or replace the line.

mike_g

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1983 CJ7
Mooring lines (and anchor lines) are deliberately constructed of nylon, specifically for its high stretch characteristics, which makes snap back a much larger concern.
I think I heard this is where kinetic recovery ropes came from.

falcon241073

First Name
Trey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
I think I heard this is where kinetic recovery ropes came from.
It’s exactly where they come from.

I’ve used them for over 30 years. Had a friend who worked on barges running the Mississippi River. He’d bring home ropes all the time for all of us. We used them regularly as we rode mud trails every weekend back then. The ropes got a lot of use. Lol.

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
It's not just the memory, steel cable is much less flexible. When steel fails, it tends to arc out to release the energy, in addition to the added weight. You'll want to give a wide berth to your recovery with steel. A synthetic that fails will tend to release its energy in a straight line, so the dangerous areas are pretty much in-line with the recovery operation, plus the triangle of death if using a snatch for redirection.

But you do need to care more for synthetics as discussed by others, and it's probably not going to last nearly as long as steel even if well cared for, so you'll have to replace it sooner. With steel you will get cable strands coming out and if you're not careful you can get a really nasty cut from those. However, one or two stands sticking out doesn't mean the cable needs to be replaced. On a synthetic you would want to cut out the damaged section and splice it, if possible, or replace the line.
With replacement 25k lb rated synthetic lines available on Amazon for $80 and on my porch by tomorrow, I don't even bother with repairing a line anymore. Broke ours pulling a gnarly Stump out of the yard a few months ago and viola brand new line 24 hours later. A steel cable will likely last for the life of the vehicle when maintained, I look at modern synthetic line as a consumable at this point.

Sponsored

mike_g

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1983 CJ7
With replacement 25k lb rated synthetic lines available on Amazon for $80 and on my porch by tomorrow, I don't even bother with repairing a line anymore. Broke ours pulling a gnarly Stump out of the yard a few months ago and viola brand new line 24 hours later. A steel cable will likely last for the life of the vehicle when maintained, I look at modern synthetic line as a consumable at this point.
its a useful skill for trail repairs in a pinch. But agreed on all points otherwise.

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
Your biggest problems with that setup is sunlight (UV) and abrasion from dirt. He probably meant you want to cover it to keep it clean and shaded.
sunlight is fine. dirt is not. All you gotta do is clean your rope.

" Additionally, despite what you may have heard about synthetic rope degrading due to UV light or sunlight exposure, there is little to worry about for probably a decade or more. Terry Crump at Samson Ropes informed us that Dyneema fiber is very stable and UV degradation is minimal over time. Most companies that take fibers and manufacture ropes will coat them in colors for branding purposes or some abrasion protection. Over time the coloration may fade, but this usually has little effect on the actual rope strength. Moisture also has little effect on rope strength. Most chemicals do not affect rope integrity and quality ropes are often tested to aviation chemical exposure test standards. "
https://www.motortrend.com/how-to/1...what you may,degradation is minimal over time.

JSFoster75

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Mojito), 2022 JLR (Tuscadero)
Vehicle Showcase
I keep the rope sleeve over mine and a cover on the winch itself. I didn't like how the sun was fading the power cables.

Jeep Wrangler JL What to do with winch line when not in use? IMG_2995.JPG

quick66

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Hightide Edition
He was probably concerned about the exposed synthetic rope extending past the fairlead. That's taking a lot of abuse from sun and road/trail dirt. You can store it like that, but get a winch rope sleeve so the sleeve takes the abuse from sun and dirt instead of the line. Ideally you shouldn't see any part of the synthetic line when it's not in active use.
I was worried about exposure as well so I went with this setup. It keeps the end of the rope and most of the fairlead covered. I don't have any plans on covering up the winch itself, so we'll see how it holds up over time. I just finished replacing the factory plastic bumper and adding the winch last night. I have a winch with synthetic rope on my SxS that sees heavy use and exposure and it does take a toll on the parts that are exposed. I have mine cinched up pretty snug too.

IMG_9326.jpg
Sponsored

Last edited: