Sponsored

What to buy?

wanderer

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlu rubicon. Surfboard. Bare feet, moose drawn air sled, Interstellar time warp space transport fighter
Occupation
Engineering Geologist
What would you do. Currently I have a 2020 gladiator that is my work truck. I was communing from Yosemite to San Diego. And ran up 60 k miles on it in 2 years so I bought a used Hyundai to commute in then we moved back to so cal so now I am thinking of. Not in this order sell Hyundai by Jeep Grand Cherokee trail hawk or Cherokee trailhawk for daily use keep truck for camping
Or sell both. By a new. Rubicon with extreme recon package and full time 4 whl drive. Maybe the 4 xe if I can get it with the extreme recon package
This will likely be the las new vehicle I ever buy. As I am 69 and will retire in 4-5 years
I love the truck Otis pretty well built runs 37 has a metal cloak lift. Lights winch snorkel. Bed rack and rtt fully loaded with led steel bumpers tow package aux switches and cold weather package.
I donā€™t think Iā€™ll be doing extreemely rocky trails like the rubicon but I do like to just explore usually alone
So what would you do and why ?

047DEDF6-5710-4DEA-A443-5CDAD8CFBF08.jpeg

55F51CBF-C7BE-49F6-AEF7-0C17A143CF0C.jpeg

EAA4735F-8CCA-4CF1-9D6A-C950D5F4C112.jpeg

C7906676-7BA9-458D-BED0-625F4FEE9A64.jpeg
Sponsored

OP
OP
wanderer

wanderer

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlu rubicon. Surfboard. Bare feet, moose drawn air sled, Interstellar time warp space transport fighter
Occupation
Engineering Geologist
Ignore those pictures I canā€™t figure out how to delete them this is what I meant to add

C01A9A02-15F9-4CDB-8688-27B27C007508.jpeg

5F63C803-A194-4698-A67A-A0EA76BAB54F.jpeg

Shibadog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sport S hardtop
Occupation
Safety &Fire Protection Engineer (Retired)
Keep the truck-youā€™ve got it the way you want it and 60k miles is nothing today. Buy a more ā€œstreetā€ oriented Jeep for trips and daily stuff and use the truck when headed out among or exploring.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Brand-new Grand Cherokees depreciate like rock. If you are gonna buy one, get it lightly used.

Sponsored

Valpo Jeep

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Mas Ghibli, 18 JLU, 05 Gulfstream RV
The Gladiator seems to be built up to what you want and I am assuming close to being paid off. Keep it is my vote. It still has another 200k miles of life yet. To sell or not sell the Hyundai is the question. Myself I would keep it, not sure I would have bought it first to begin with though. You were worried about the fuel cost but spent what 25k to save 3k in fuel? Assuming 20 mpg in the gladiator so 3,000 gallons of fuel in the 60k miles. If the Hyundai got say 28 mpg then you would have used about 2150 gallons. That would have been a difference of 850 gallons.

Dan M.

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 sport (2 door)
If you are looking to get something new, I would consider a diesel if I was in your situation. With all that mileage you put on your vehicles, the extra cost up front be covered pretty quickly.
*note, I am in NY so I don't know if diesel out by you is way more expensive than regular gas. If so, disregard.

OP
OP
wanderer

wanderer

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineering Geologist
Naw I bought it to not rack up so many freeway miles on the truck

2nd 392

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Cherokee srt.V10 Dodge 4x
Ignore those pictures I canā€™t figure out how to delete them this is what I meant to add

C01A9A02-15F9-4CDB-8688-27B27C007508.jpeg

5F63C803-A194-4698-A67A-A0EA76BAB54F.jpeg
Gas mileage VS two vehicle payments, two insurance payments, two confiscatory Ca license fees, two Ca smog checks in a few, two maintenance costs? Get the XR. šŸ¤” Editā€”Tried it once, got a used Honda for my 60 mi (each way) commute to ā€œsaveā€ money. Nopeā€” the extra gas was cheaper than all the twoā€™s, sold it.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Beachcomber72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU High Tide
No offense but at 69 buying any Jeep product, it will most likely not be your last vehicle. Buy a 4Runner for greater longevity.

vehicle statistics for the JK lineup saw an average owner getting 5-6 years out of them. This was data compiled by 24 dealerships nationwide that were chosen at random for the survey in Q3 of 2017. Same stats were also seen by 4 of the major insurance companies nationwide in regards to owners compiled data.

Now in Q2 of 2022 same number of selected dealers and insurance companies are reporting 2-3 years average turn over for the current JL generation.
Data sets were written up for an article put out by Reynolds & Reynolds if I remember correctly for a F&I magazine.

Data from Toyota side of things as of Q1 of 2022 between fourth gen and 5th gen 4runners showed average ownership in the 11-12 year bracket.

Now if we were take into consideration the Jeep TJ or Gen 3 4Runner included in same data sets the tables would look oddly different. There are currently more daily driven TJs still on the roads compared to twenty year plus 4runners. Cars.com did the same type study in 2017 with the wrangler coming in at 2.8 years of average ownership timeframe.

*** Odd random fact ***
(Number one state for largest wrangler ownership is New York followed by Texas as number two. Thereā€™s not one particular state with ownership statistics over another in regards to the Yotas.)

I know youā€™ve not mentioned anything about other brands going forward but itā€™s something to maybe consider.

Now all this being saidā€¦ Iā€™m personally a Jeep fanboy for life at this point in my 50ā€™s and currently own a new 2022 High Tide and the wife drives a 2020 4Runner TRD pro. And as I look over at it right now in the garage I have to be honest with myself in knowing hers will absolutely will out live my wrangler by many of years itā€™s just solid built.

But again being the Jeep lover Iā€™d say grab the Rubicon XR and hope/pray for the best. I despise the wifeā€™s Toyota, itā€™s just large with a crappy turning radius and feels extremely heavy when driving. Zero issues to date on hers and on my 2022 Wrangler well itā€™s already been in for a misfire on cylinder #3 and both batteries replaced under warranty and left rear door seal changed out. Hers has 47k on the odometer and is 3 years old, mine again a 2022 two months old with 2700 miles.

just something to ponder on. My parents in their 70ā€™s both have leases on vehicles that run out in 2023 and with them both being retired for about 6 years now they want to consolidate down to one vehicle and have it a one and done quality last purchase ride.

Also as mentioned above by others your Gladior is nice and looks set up for what you intended, so keep it as long as you can.

I wish you the best in your golden years and hope your goal ā€œlast vehicleā€ works out for you and the wife.

2nd 392

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No offense but at 69 buying any Jeep product, it will most likely not be your last vehicle. Buy a 4Runner for greater longevity.

vehicle statistics for the JK lineup saw an average owner getting 5-6 years out of them. This was data compiled by 24 dealerships nationwide that were chosen at random for the survey in Q3 of 2017. Same stats were also seen by 4 of the major insurance companies nationwide in regards to owners compiled data.

Now in Q2 of 2022 same number of selected dealers and insurance companies are reporting 2-3 years average turn over for the current JL generation.
Data sets were written up for an article put out by Reynolds & Reynolds if I remember correctly for a F&I magazine.

Data from Toyota side of things as of Q1 of 2022 between fourth gen and 5th gen 4runners showed average ownership in the 11-12 year bracket.

Now if we were take into consideration the Jeep TJ or Gen 3 4Runner included in same data sets the tables would look oddly different. There are currently more daily driven TJs still on the roads compared to twenty year plus 4runners. Cars.com did the same type study in 2017 with the wrangler coming in at 2.8 years of average ownership timeframe.

*** Odd random fact ***
(Number one state for largest wrangler ownership is New York followed by Texas as number two. Thereā€™s not one particular state with ownership statistics over another in regards to the Yotas.)

I know youā€™ve not mentioned anything about other brands going forward but itā€™s something to maybe consider.

Now all this being saidā€¦ Iā€™m personally a Jeep fanboy for life at this point in my 50ā€™s and currently own a new 2022 High Tide and the wife drives a 2020 4Runner TRD pro. And as I look over at it right now in the garage I have to be honest with myself in knowing hers will absolutely will out live my wrangler by many of years itā€™s just solid built.

But again being the Jeep lover Iā€™d say grab the Rubicon XR and hope/pray for the best. I despise the wifeā€™s Toyota, itā€™s just large with a crappy turning radius and feels extremely heavy when driving. Zero issues to date on hers and on my 2022 Wrangler well itā€™s already been in for a misfire on cylinder #3 and both batteries replaced under warranty and left rear door seal changed out. Hers has 47k on the odometer and is 3 years old, mine again a 2022 two months old with 2700 miles.

just something to ponder on. My parents in their 70ā€™s both have leases on vehicles that run out in 2023 and with them both being retired for about 6 years now they want to consolidate down to one vehicle and have it a one and done quality last purchase ride.

Also as mentioned above by others your Gladior is nice and looks set up for what you intended, so keep it as long as you can.

I wish you the best in your golden years and hope your goal ā€œlast vehicleā€ works out for you and the wife.
I gave my 05 4R to my grandson with 210K mi and only one major problem ($1000 fuel pump) , Reliable! When I got my 21 Wrangler. The Wrangler is better at most everything and equal to the rest with the exception of seat comfort, mileage, and at almost twice the power Iā€™ll take a few mpg hit (and likely reliability). The real difference is I truly enjoy driving it, the 4R was just ā€œtransportationā€. Retiredā€” I wanted another Jeep that I love driving for hopefully my last vehicle, not something as enjoyable as taking the bus. šŸ˜Š

Beachcomber72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU High Tide
I gave my 05 4R to my grandson with 210K mi and only one major problem ($1000 fuel pump) , Reliable! When I got my 21 Wrangler. The Wrangler is better at most everything and equal to the rest with the exception of seat comfort, mileage, and at almost twice the power Iā€™ll take a few mpg hit (and likely reliability). The real difference is I truly enjoy driving it, the 4R was just ā€œtransportationā€. Retiredā€” I wanted another Jeep that I love driving for hopefully my last vehicle, not something as enjoyable as taking the bus. šŸ˜Š
Gimme a two door Rubicon XR with a diesel 3.0 and leave off the start stop crap and Iā€™ll baby that sucker till the day I die.

2nd 392

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gimme a two door Rubicon XR with a diesel 3.0 and leave off the start stop crap and Iā€™ll baby that sucker till the day I die.
This old hot-rodder/Jeeper loves powerful V8ā€™s, may my 392 & GC SRT last the rest of my life!! Over 12 years my CJ5 was incrementally increased from 350HP to 700HP (L79 Chevyā€¦ā€¦ā€¦. final upgradeā€” full house 6-71 blown 350). The ONLY reason I bought the 05 4R was Jeeps engines, 4R offered a V8, got my 392 as soon as Jeep finally offered one. Editā€” It only took Jeep 16 more years.

Last edited:

Industrialwrench

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 SRT Challenger. 18 4Runner off-road premium.
Iā€™d keep the gladiator for fun and buy a Toyota(rav4, 4Runner, Land Cruiser depending on your funds) for the long haul ā€œlast vehicleā€. Because it will be, another Jeep wonā€™t.
Sponsored