Sponsored

What tire pressure are you running your 35's at?

boontis

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sahara Unlimited 2.0L
I've seen a few posts here about doing chalk tests and I've done that - but I'm curious what other people's experiences are with their 35's?

I'm running 35x12.50R17 Falken Wildpeak's that are E rated - I know - I didn't know about the weight ratings until after I had purchased - but there aren't many C rated options in 35x12.50's anyways ;)

I'm running them at 25-26psi when they are cold - about 15c (60f) this time of year. I notice after driving they warm up and sit at 29-30psi according to the TPMS display. This makes me wonder if they are under inflated as I read somewhere that under inflated tires warm up more than if they are just right?

Anyways - I haven't seen a thread on tire pressure for people running 35's so hopefully this can get the convo started - what are you running?
Sponsored

JRINGO77

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Somewhere there should be a chart that will let you compare a "P" rated tire (stock) compared to the E rated tire as far as what PSI is appropriate to carry a certain amount of weight. I searched briefly didn't see one on the Google but I bet one of the major tire manufacturers has one. That would be a good starting point trying to get apples to apples but in the end tweaking from there for personal preferences, MPG, etc will definitely vary some from person to person and tire to tire. I'd say generally speaking running at least 25PSI cold you should be in no danger of overheating the tire. My two cents having worked at Discount Tire about 15 years ago for a few years.

Longhair1957

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL
Occupation
Retired
35x12.5-17 Geolanders, 2 door, chalk test got me to 26lb. On highway they gain 2-3 lbs.
I’ve thought of running about 24 cold. So once they warm up they’ll be around 26-27.

limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I've got nothing for you in regards to what PSI you should run. Other than since you have E rated, you don't want to follow the sidewall PSI reccomendation as they would be over inflated for your vehicles weight and use.

But, regardless of the cold PSI, as any tire warms up as you drive, the PSI will also rise. This fluctuation is more pronounced if you use normal air. Nitrogen filled tires won't see as much of a rise in PSI between "cold" and "hot" running temps. Always adjust and check PSI on a cold tire.

It is always better to run an over inflated tire vs. an under inflated tire. Under inflation causes A LOT of heat buildup, which will cause tread separation, blow out, etc. Over inflation will lead to a very poor ride and handling and accelerated wear on the very center of your tread.

zouch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ, JLUWD
the answer is; it depends.

as a general guideline, i aim for a Cold Pressure that gives me about a 10% increase in PSI after an hour on the highway at speed.

this accounts for the variables of loaded vehicle weight, elevation, and ambient temps. change any of those things, and the pressures may change as well.

if i see more than a 10% rise, i'll run a little higher Cold Temp until the rise is no more than 10%.

agreeing with above, i'd rather run a bit higher for street pressures than a bit low. (i would much prefer to wear too much in the middle of the tread face than wear out the edges; the edges will come down on the trail when i air down, and that's the part of the tread i'd most want to have bite.)
Sponsored