What the consensus on the diesel?

Wheelin Matt

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Xtreme Recon
I loved my 2021 Ecodiesel but it kept having issues so I traded it for a new 3.6 Xtreme Recon and I’ve been super happy for the last year and 22k miles.
I did not like having to fill the DEF every 2000 miles, I didn’t realize that not all gas stations carry diesel until I had one but the problems started at 7k miles and at 12k I decided to dump the Ecodiesel (but not Jeep). I absolutely love my Jeeps (have a built 2005 TJ also).
This was my first and probably last experience with diesel. Was it just bad luck? Maybe but I sure wouldn’t buy a new diesel ever again unless they get rid of the emissions (which will never happen)
Sponsored

c20040215

First Name
Leon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S; 2023 Honda Civic Sport Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Here are my top 3 reasons I chose the diesel motor over the gasoline ones.

1.) The Auxiliary Battery for the EcoDiesel is right under the 12V Main Battery, very easy to access and replace. Unlike the gasoline Jeeps where the front passenger wheel fender liner or the fuse box must be removed in order to access the small Aux battery.

2.) From what I've heard, the 3.6L Pentastar motor "tick" issue has yet to be resolved and may require major engine service for it to be repaired. Also, how to find a replacement battery for 48V eTorque once the charges and discharges wears out.

3.) 2.0 Gas Turbo is direct injection only, which will need walnut blasting in order to clean the intake valves of carbon deposits. Also, with No. 1, it has the same issue of Aux Battery access.

Also, in Oregon, I can pump my own diesel. I cannot do the same with gasoline (In highly populated areas).
1. I just changed mine not long ago, it takes additional 15 mins to access the aux battery. The oe one last me almost 4 years.

2. That is true, but I have no issue so far.

3. A good oil catch can would reduce 90% of the carbon deposits associated with direct injection engine.

I am not saying one engine is better than the other. I only have experience with 3.6. I just find the 2 out of 3 reasons you listed are kind of odd to pick one over another.

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
If your engine takes a dump, I suspect that the presence of a non-Mopar filter will seal your fate. I like to save money as much as the next guy, but not on filters.

[Yes, I know that they have to prove that the filter was at fault, but why invite a warranty challenge to save $25 every 10K miles?]

ALeeL

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD
Interesting, but I think you are comparing apples to oranges with the Cummins. and the ECOD, not many big mountains in your area, much more in my area and WV that I often drive. Do you only get the down shift using cruise vs non cruise, could be the adaptive transmission trying to match your driving style of more throttle in those situations vs perhaps I have a more laid back driving style. Oh well, different strokes for different folks. Having lots of fun driving my ecoD...
Hence the reason why I stated that the Ecodiesel is more inline with my BMW diesel in my initial post. I don't get the downshift with I am not using cruise. It is only when I am using cruise control and the engine has plenty of power to stay in 8th when not using cruise control which is why I think it is a tuning of the cruise control issue that has nothing to do with the power of the engine.

Sponsored

Kaliks&Bones

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Billet Silver JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Question for the happy diesel owners in the thread.

If you had to order a new Jeep today and couldn’t get the diesel what would you order? I had a 2019 3.6 that was great and I’d do a diesel in the spring if I can still find a new one but assuming I don’t I’m thinking the 2.0T next.

grimmjeeper

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.grimmjeeper.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler, 1987 Comanche, 1997 F250
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
enginerd
Hence the reason why I stated that the Ecodiesel is more inline with my BMW diesel in my initial post. I don't get the downshift with I am not using cruise. It is only when I am using cruise control and the engine has plenty of power to stay in 8th when not using cruise control which is why I think it is a tuning of the cruise control issue that has nothing to do with the power of the engine.
I've noticed that the cruise control waits too long when you start up a hill. It usually drops 2-3 MPH (up to 5) before it kicks in the throttle. But at that point it's kicking the throttle hard and that's why the trans drops a gear.

It's fine on flat roads but in rolling hills it's constantly gunning the throttle. What's worse is that it holds the throttle too long when you crest the hill and it picks up too much speed. So the cruise control kicks in the brakes to hold speed. So you're constantly hitting the gas and the brake and your mileage goes in the toilet.

If I had to guess I'd say they didn't bother to tune the JL cruise control from the gas engine Jeeps when they put in the diesel. Either that or they used the stock Ram diesel programming.

grimmjeeper

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.grimmjeeper.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler, 1987 Comanche, 1997 F250
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
enginerd

If you had to order a new Jeep today and couldn’t get the diesel what would you order? I had a 2019 3.6 that was great and I’d do a diesel in the spring if I can still find a new one but assuming I don’t I’m thinking the 2.0T next.
Up here in the Denver area my other choice would be the 2.0T. Turbos make a big difference at altitude.

Deleted member 59498

3.6, had 2 of them and zero issues.

Sponsored

HD_17

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 3.0 Sahara, '06 LBZ Duramax, '17 Street Glide

392 all day if we couldn't get the 3.0

SparkleTooth

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Stellantis SUCKS

If I couldn't get the diesel it would be the 392 or nothing. I would still choose the diesel over the 392 though if they would continue to make it.
I would not get the 3.6, 2.0, or 4xE model, but that's just me. After this Jeep, it may be my last depending on their direction of engines. If they continue down the hybrid/electric route as only options them I'm out.

john adams

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURD, Bolt
I would agree, however, the first few years of a new design or major modification to an existing platform is generally when you will have the most issues with just about anything. The 3.6L Pentastar had major cam and block issues it's first few years in the Jeep and other Chrysler vehicles. So did the 6.4L/392 Hemi in the Ram forums that I am apart of since I also own an HD Ram. Heck, even the venerable Cummins 6.7L had head gasket and EGR cooler issues the first few years when it came out which I worked for Cummins at the time.

I also see it in our fleet of 500+ vehicles at work as well which are mainly Ford F series trucks. Every time Ford makes a model refresh or makes a major change, the trucks we buy within the first few years after this change always have more issues than the later model years.
Yeah but…now it’s discontinued. So the diesel was new, had problems, and now it will never be improved. Not great Tim.

john adams

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURD, Bolt
Challenge is, I don't see a lot of issues, except the usual vocal members that you'll find on every forum. I also frequent the H-D, Ducati, and Porsche forums. EXACT same scenario: people without problems don't post touting their positive experience, but the crencendo from the people with issues is deafening.

Hell, within the past 24 hours we've had two members with poorly seated oil filters. In one case, the "lemon law" was bandied about, in the other engine replacement was discussed. The irony is, there is ample discussion of the issue/remedy on here yet it still brings out the torches and pitchforks. It's a five minute fix.

What I do admit is there is more preventive maintenance, and care & feeding required with the Diesel, but most of us enjoy working on our rigs and the maintenance is simple DIY.

I suspect that the majority of the descentors have never even driven a diesel. @john adams you have to admit that that endless low-end torque covers a mulitude of sins. :)
To your last point, I love diesels. I love this vehicle. My brand faith, however, is very very low. And even lower with people reporting this many problems in vehicles with few years and low miles.

Would I get the JLURD again? I love it so maybe. But I might go with the old reliable 3.6.

JL Diesel

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘22 JL Diesel Sport S
With the current engine lineup I might consider switching to the Gladiator since it is still offered as a diesel. Then wait to see if the strait 6 makes it back to the Wrangler.

I can’t talk about the cruise control because I’ve never used it. There’s always too much traffic ha.
Sponsored