Sponsored

What Suspension setups are people running in Australia?

Steve F

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR, JKU
Looking great, the Granite Crystal is a lovely colour. Do you get any rubbing with the 305/70R17?? (Sorry to hijack the thread with an off-topic question)
They rub very lightly on the lower control arms at full lock and in some circumstances but all good other wise.
Sponsored

Jeepster_Aus

First Name
Renier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon
They rub very lightly on the lower control arms at full lock and in some circumstances but all good other wise.
Thanks, that's what I thought. I'd love to get 285/75R17, but not very common in Australia. I'll most likely end up with 295/70R17.

COKENOGOOD

First Name
Hugh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR-Black
Thanks, that's what I thought. I'd love to get 285/75R17, but not very common in Australia. I'll most likely end up with 295/70R17.
Yes, i believe 295 is a more popular size. KM3 have 285.

Dan789

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler 2020
C

Could we still be able to reallocate the stabiliser as RHD JL?
We have completed this on the wife's Rubicon. Took some messing around as the tolerances are so close when fully articulating and turning the steering wheel.

Definantly something to take your time with if you are going down this path. Well worth it though as now the dampener is tucked up high and protected.

Just used the standard dampener as well. Didn't see the point in changing when running stock rims and tyres. Maybe will change once we do a luift and change to 35's.

COKENOGOOD

First Name
Hugh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR-Black
We have completed this on the wife's Rubicon. Took some messing around as the tolerances are so close when fully articulating and turning the steering wheel.

Definantly something to take your time with if you are going down this path. Well worth it though as now the dampener is tucked up high and protected.

Just used the standard dampener as well. Didn't see the point in changing when running stock rims and tyres. Maybe will change once we do a luift and change to 35's.
Thanks for the update...
Do you mind share a pic?
Did you go with synergy one or TF one?
Im thinking of the same, to keep the stock one for now...

Sponsored

davo65

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 TJ 2019 diesel rubicon
I've just ordered the JL specific Fox 2.5s and am waiting on a freight quote before I order the Rock Krawler X Factor 2.5" lift. Plan to finish it off with SteerSmarts track bars, drag link and tie rod. Undecided on steering damper at the moment though likely the Fox ATS. Now to wait 4 months before it all arrives :CWL:
Are there any issues with fitting the left hand drive steersmart track bar to right hand drive jl

crvella

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon JL
I finally got my AEV 2.5 dual sport lift installed. Ride quality is great on road - much sportier and leans a lot less into turns. Will take off road this weekend to test on tracks.

Comparison between stock and lifted ( both on 295/70/17 33.3inch Yokohama geolander x-ATs)

Stock suspension + recovery kit in back (hardtop):
20200521_164238~2.jpg

Lift + spotties + evo 10s winch + maximus bar, with recovery gear in back (soft top)
20200912_170803~2.jpg

I'm getting drawers +fridge end of year to see if it brings the back down a bit more. AEV rear bar once they release it... Will need to install mud flaps to avoid boys in blue, bit high atm.
Hey dood - Did you need to get an engineering cert for this setup?

I'm in NSW. I just purchased the lift kit and some MT 295s. But from what I'm reading, to be properly insured you need a cert. I have a company installing this kit, so I assumed it was all road legal.

Does anyone know if the company doing the install can have a engineering certificate to to cover a built type (i.e set lift and tyre combo for a particular car model) or does each car have to be individually certified?

Steve F

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR, JKU

I'm in NSW. I just purchased the lift kit and some MT 295s. But from what I'm reading, to be properly insured you need a cert. I have a company installing this kit, so I assumed it was all road legal.

Does anyone know if the company doing the install can have a engineering certificate to to cover a built type (i.e set lift and tyre combo for a particular car model) or does each car have to be individually certified?

Some will sell a fully engineered kit but never heard of one for a Jeep and certainly not from a reseller or installer, it will need to be individually certified.

crvella

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon JL
Some will sell a fully engineered kit but never heard of one for a Jeep and certainly not from a reseller or installer, it will need to be individually certified.
Yes I spoke to the installer today and he said he has never been asked for a cert before, and thinks it's unnecessary. My concern is around insurance, which clearly states a 50cm max lift height. There's also talk of the 2.5" being more like 3.5" without additional load

Does anyone know where to start, or had a quote, to get a cert for the AEV 2.5" + 315s?

Sponsored

Steve F

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR, JKU
Yes I spoke to the installer today and he said he has never been asked for a cert before, and thinks it's unnecessary. My concern is around insurance, which clearly states a 50cm max lift height. There's also talk of the 2.5" being more like 3.5" without additional load

Does anyone know where to start, or had a quote, to get a cert for the AEV 2.5" + 315s?
Most don't bother but if you do you could be looking at around 5K as it will need to do a swerve and brake test (which means hiring a facility to do it etc) unfortunately it is not a cheap process. A few in the Sydney Jeep Club have done it, maybe post on the facebook site and see what response you get. All this is why I went with a 2" spacer (fixed lift no ambiguity) and 305/70R17, no engineering required as both lift and tyres are within the legal limts.

discobean

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
I have a 2" aev spacer lift if you want to buy it, new in box. Not sure what they sell for. I ended up going with 2.5" dualsport.

guywiththehair

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler Rubicon

I'm also in NSW, 295/70 tires as well. Not certified
Few reasons.

1) after 1+ year of use (I assume the springs settle a bit?) and when slightly loaded, plus the way a cop would need to measure it (arch to wheel hub distance, compared to the official vehicle spec sheet), puts it just around the limit before cert needed. It definitely would pass a casual visual inspection, and there is actually some allowance for this in the vehicle standards rules.

Ive been stopped by several police within Sydney for random reasons and they never care. One cop friend had a close look and said no one will care either. Can't say that a cluey or power tripping highway patrol officer near offroad tracks would ignore it tho.

2) almost every engineer (more than 10+) I've spoken to refused to even think about certification purely because it's a 2.5inch lift (as advertised). They just won't even bother.

3) one engineer offered to certify by sharing a last minute test track session booked by a Toyota guy, but he was still hesitant until he could measure with my normal hardtop setup / compare to a dealer stock wrangler as reference etc etc. The timing just didn't work out.
TBH he was kinda iffy about it almost trying to find a loophole to get the business almost. Almost every other engineer was like: don't bother

4) related to point 3, for police issued defects, I believe it doesn't matter too much if you have a engineer cert or not. Someone correct me if wrong, but if a police officer defects you even on the suspicion it's unsafe (I.e. he thinks you're a dickhead and doesn't care about the blue engeneering plate), you have to get it checked at an RMS engineering place(?). If they don't agree with the engineering cert accuracy, you'd still be liable to fix the defect.

5) I've been in two accidents in this. One my fault, other their fault. Various reasons. They where not serious enough for police or an in-depth insurance investigation into the accidents, but both the other cars where written off. I've had no issues with insurance... yet. I think it matters more for serious accidents involving injury etc.

6) If I was going to go for 315/70 with wider offset wheels (IMO JL wrangler looks best with minimum 35s or 315, so I'm seriously looking into it later), then it would be even harder to certify/re-certify the engineering anyway. And it's also the easiest defect that a typical cop would look for. I'm kinda thinking, in for a penny / in for a pound at that point.

PS love the nanny state of AU

Last edited:

AusJeepNoob

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Wrangler Unlimited - Rubicon EcoDiesel

Solve Offroad has a lift available that has already been certified. You'd have to speak to them about which wheel/tyre combo will work with it. I know that a -12 offset 17 x 9 won't pass ;)

crvella

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon JL
Solve Offroad has a lift available that has already been certified. You'd have to speak to them about which wheel/tyre combo will work with it. I know that a -12 offset 17 x 9 won't pass ;)
Cheers dood!

I'm being recommended a AEV Borah (+25 offset) running 37" MT to go with the AEV 2.5" lift.

I've been able to (I think at this stage) find someone to cert if all for $3k. And it's apparently not the first to go through the process (exact spec as above) so I'm no too sure why, if one has passed with the exact spec, we can't just sign off all those with the same spec.

Also, can anyone confirm that once you do actually get it certified that it does now become "Road worth and legal" by the legal definition of the insurance companies? One I rang said it isn't, but a road worthy sticker would. And that even if I had produced both of these, if the cause of an accident is determined to be the lift then I am still not covered?
Sponsored