Sponsored

What Suspension setups are people running in Australia?

Multihull

First Name
Commander Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 2.2 diesel Rubicon
Occupation
Multihull Consultant, Automotive Drive Consultant
I've been running an AEV Dual Sports 2.5" lift since October last year. My previous JKU Rubicon had the AEV 3.5" lift and when I finished installing the new lift in the JL I sat both cars side by side and the heights at all point of reference were nearly identical give or take a few mm. I now done about 7500 km and been off road doing serious 4wding about 20 times now and the lift is great. No issues. When off road I run Mickey thompson 315/70R17 (34.5") and she drives very nicely. I also tow a Jayco Pop top camper van and this rides very well with hardly any dip in the rear suspension with 140 kg ball weight.

20200113_221211.jpg

20200530_152625.jpg
Sponsored

Joey

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 grand cherokee
I've been running an AEV Dual Sports 2.5" lift since October last year. My previous JKU Rubicon had the AEV 3.5" lift and when I finished installing the new lift in the JL I sat both cars side by side and the heights at all point of reference were nearly identical give or take a few mm. I now done about 7500 km and been off road doing serious 4wding about 20 times now and the lift is great. No issues. When off road I run Mickey thompson 315/70R17 (34.5") and she drives very nicely. I also tow a Jayco Pop top camper van and this rides very well with hardly any dip in the rear suspension with 140 kg ball weight.

20200113_221211.jpg

20200530_152625.jpg
Nice rig mate, Just wondering what rims are you running (offset as well please )

Last edited:

Marcus

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TJ, JL Rubicon.
For now, staying with the standard setup. I have a quote from ARB for a 2 inch lift, but more likely to go upsize slightly on the tyres when they are due for replacement. The extra clearance for ramp over will be handy, already being hung up once, but also mindful of my current ability to enter most undercover carparks. A balancing act.
Whats the ARB lift worth?

Marcus

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TJ, JL Rubicon.
Nice rig mate, Just wondering what rims are you running (offset as well please )
Good question. Have been shopping around but don't know what offset to go for?

A lot of rims with 0mm offsets, don't mind the KMCs with +18mm, but curious to know what others are getting.

Sponsored

JJames

First Name
Jomesh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Range Rover Evoque
Good question. Have been shopping around but don't know what offset to go for?

A lot of rims with 0mm offsets, don't mind the KMCs with +18mm, but curious to know what others are getting.
I’m thinking of Fuel vapor 17*9, +20 offset. Should go well with a 295*70 R17, (and keep it road worthy) based on some online research tools. I’ll need to see how it would pan out in real though. All my upgrade plans are on hold for now.

Joey

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 grand cherokee
I am looking at the black rhinos rims 17 x 9 with +18mm offset for the same reasons, trying to get a rim to fit under the guards is the hard part. Best place for rims I have found so far is The Wheel Deal in Boronia they do packages as well with tyres.

Marcus

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TJ, JL Rubicon.
I am looking at the black rhinos rims 17 x 9 with +18mm offset for the same reasons, trying to get a rim to fit under the guards is the hard part. Best place for rims I have found so far is The Wheel Deal in Boronia they do packages as well with tyres.
Yeah true, don't mind the KMC Dirty Harrys that come with +18mm. Will probably extend the flares regardless. Goddamn expensive for flare extensions though.

Joey

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 grand cherokee
Double black's are nice but I couldn't afford to do rims and tyres $3800 then flares aswell. Need to save the penny's

Sponsored

Marcus

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TJ, JL Rubicon.
Double black's are nice but I couldn't afford to do rims and tyres $3800 then flares aswell. Need to save the penny's
Thinking the same. $830 for flares is steep as.

Considering getting the AEV 2” spacer lift.

Joey

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 grand cherokee
If we could find a 295/75 R17 it would be awesome 34.4 and 11.6 wide so legal all round.

pguerreiro

First Name
Pedro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon MY20
my aev kit should be here next month apparently..

But yeah, to be legal would need to be engineered. I heard that the 2.5" lift is when fully loaded with extra fuel tanks, draws, roof racks, winch, etc... and that if running relatively light it pushes above 3.5"

At this stage im probably going to run the kit like that until i can decide what suspension set up i want to run full time in the future.. but for the price, the AEV kit is insanely good.

As for installers in NSW, the two that i can recommend are"

Hills 4x4 https://hills4x4.com.au/
and
Solve Offroad https://www.solveoffroad.com.au/
Hey Jaydee,

Thinking to order the AEV 2.5" for my JL Rubicon as well, called the local dealers no one has it in stock. It seams that Quadratec has it available for delivery, total price with delivery in Sydney, not sure how long will that take to arrive though, is around USD$2000. Curious to know how much did yours cost and where did you order it from?

https://www.quadratec.com/p/aev/2.5in-dualsport-rt-wrangler-unlimited-jl/rhd-n0724500aa

It's disappointing to hear that if I install it, It may need to be engineered... humm...

Cheers

Last edited:

Jaydee_S

First Name
Jaydee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Mojito Rubicon
Hey Jaydee,

Thinking to order the AEV 2.5" for my JL Rubicon as well, called the local dealers no one has it in stock. It seams that Quadratec has it available for delivery, total price with delivery in Sydney, not sure how long will that take to arrive though, is around USD$2000. Curious to know how much did yours cost and where did you order it from?

https://www.quadratec.com/p/aev/2.5in-dualsport-rt-wrangler-unlimited-jl/rhd-n0724500aa

It's disappointing to hear that if I install it, It may need to be engineered... humm...

Cheers
Well once the kit arrives... im still waiting...... it was $2250 plus delivery when i ordered them over 5 months ago from JeepKonnection. I believe the price has gone up, but honestly.. I wouldnt waste your time waiting for this kit. Just get something locally available as this 5 month wait has been killing me and who knows how long it'll take to get a set in if you ordered now.. if you are lucky, maybe end of the year.
Sponsored