Sponsored

What suspension and tires are you running with your AEV JL wheels???

shane340

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLR
For those of you that are running AEV JL wheels does the aggressively high backspacing cause rubbing on your aftermarket control arms? AEV states that the backspacing is optimized for running AEV lift which reuses stock control arms via drop brackets, they also specify its only been tested with BFG KO2 and KM3 tires in 35x12.5r17 and 37x12.5r17 sizes.

Most aftermarket companies require 4.5 to 4.75 backspacing while the AEV wheels are about an inch over this figure coming in at a very high 5.72. Who has or is running AEV wheels with lifts from MC, RK, Clayton, etc? Did you need to trim/replace fenders, wheels spacers, change wheels altogether? I’m currently running AEV wheels on stock suspension with 35s and loving them but want to know what I’m getting myself into before pivoting away from this suspension. Hoping to find people who have gone down this path with AEV wheels.
Sponsored

sourdough

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
I have AEV JL Pintlers and a Mopar lift (2.5)on my JLR with Cooper STT Pros in 37x12.5r 17. Great experience wheeling this combo. Pintlers remind me of wheels on a Ferrari Tesstarosa.
When I searched out lifts, AEV told me they based there's on Mopar's but with heavier spring ratings for greater loads and less bottoming out. They also said their wheels with 37" BFG's would have minor rub issues. From my years experience, reserach and needs I choose Mopar's softer lift. I run 37" tires with Senergy's front LCA's and the steering stops extended less than 1/4". On a JL's turning radius, the slight increase isn't an issue. On the rear the tires slightly rubbed on the stock plastic liners where they bump out. A heat gun easily flatten the bump. On the trail or the flex trailer, this wheel/tire/lift combo simply works. It does not encreace the flex rating over a stock Rubicon, it does provide increase ground clearance and ride quality.
Jeep Wrangler JL What suspension and tires are you running with your AEV JL wheels??? JLR flexed frt. (1)
Jeep Wrangler JL What suspension and tires are you running with your AEV JL wheels??? JLR flexd rear

Jeep Wrangler JL What suspension and tires are you running with your AEV JL wheels??? JL trail flex (1)

Last edited:

James202198

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JLU Willys
Occupation
F&I Manager at Jeep Dealership
Vehicle Showcase
Jeep Wrangler JL What suspension and tires are you running with your AEV JL wheels??? 855AC227-EBE6-4193-A17F-6B95F4597239

Jeep Wrangler JL What suspension and tires are you running with your AEV JL wheels??? 8326CC76-395D-427E-AF53-D22944782402

2.5” rough country with 35x12.50r17 Nitto Ridge Grapplers on stock Moab wheels

Lyaec350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR
For those of you that are running AEV JL wheels does the aggressively high backspacing cause rubbing on your aftermarket control arms? AEV states that the backspacing is optimized for running AEV lift which reuses stock control arms via drop brackets, they also specify its only been tested with BFG KO2 and KM3 tires in 35x12.5r17 and 37x12.5r17 sizes.

Most aftermarket companies require 4.5 to 4.75 backspacing while the AEV wheels are about an inch over this figure coming in at a very high 5.72. Who has or is running AEV wheels with lifts from MC, RK, Clayton, etc? Did you need to trim/replace fenders, wheels spacers, change wheels altogether? I’m currently running AEV wheels on stock suspension with 35s and loving them but want to know what I’m getting myself into before pivoting away from this suspension. Hoping to find people who have gone down this path with AEV wheels.
I have the AEV wheels, and am running a MC gamechanger 2.5". When you order the MC lift you can specify what your backspacing is and they send you parts that work with that (I chose the stock option, since the AEV wheels have the back face at same location as stock wheels). Everything works fine...

Sponsored

sourdough

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
I have the AEV wheels, and am running a MC gamechanger 2.5". When you order the MC lift you can specify what your backspacing is and they send you parts that work with that (I chose the stock option, since the AEV wheels have the back face at same location as stock wheels). Everything works fine...
Wheel spacers ? bump stops ? I'm just curious haha.

Lyaec350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR
No spacers, that was whole point of aev wheels. Dont remember how much bump stop I used, I think 2”?

sourdough

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
No spacers, that was whole point of aev wheels. Dont remember how much bump stop I used, I think 2”?
You said "they" MC supply parts. I was asking what parts they supplied.
I agree spacers would be lame but work and increased bump stop lengths would work but also be counter productive to the reason you got a flexy MC lift. I researched and wanted AEV wheels and AEV said their lift was designed after Mopars but with heavier springs. AEV and MC 2.5 are not compatible and I was curious what MC did to make them work.

Last edited:

Lyaec350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR
You said "they" MC supply parts. I was asking what parts they supply.
they supply lift parts that are compatible w wheels w stock or equiv backspacing. I think it has to do with sway bar links and maybe shock mounts, but I obviously don’t have the kit for wheels w less backspacing so impossible to know the details exactly. I’m sure they can tell you the diff if you call or email.

haligen

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19' Rubicon
I'm running the JK version of AEV Borahs with 37" Nitto Mud graps and a MC 3.5. No issues.

Jeep Wrangler JL What suspension and tires are you running with your AEV JL wheels??? heep1

Sponsored

OP
OP
shane340

shane340

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLR
Interesting. I know the option for “stock wheels” says > 4.5 Backspacing but 5.72 is a lot more. What tires are you running?

OP
OP
shane340

shane340

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLR
I'm running the JK version of AEV Borahs with 37" Nitto Mud graps and a MC 3.5. No issues.

Jeep Wrangler JL What suspension and tires are you running with your AEV JL wheels??? heep1
The JK Borah have less backspacing than the JL versions, 4.9 versus 5.72, the JK wheels are much closer to the spec called for by the suspensions in question.

Lyaec350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR
Interesting. I know the option for “stock wheels” says > 4.5 Backspacing but 5.72 is a lot more. What tires are you running?
aev Wheels have higher backspacing but they’re also 17x9 instead of 17x7.5 like stock so the inside lip of the wheel is in the exact same spot as the inside lip of a stock wheel. For suspension rubbing issues there’s no diff between aev wheels and stock. Of course w a wider rim and tire the outside lip and tire edge are further out so there may be fender, etc rubbing.

I have 37x12.5 atko2s

haligen

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19' Rubicon
The JK Borah have less backspacing than the JL versions, 4.9 versus 5.72, the JK wheels are much closer to the spec called for by the suspensions in question.
Well dang, I bought my wheels used from a friends shop and never really looked up specs. Learn something new everyday. I wonder why they changed the spec.

OP
OP
shane340

shane340

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLR
Well dang, I bought my wheels used from a friends shop and never really looked up specs. Learn something new everyday. I wonder why they changed the spec.
They said they optimized for scrub radius on the JL. I don’t know much about JKs but I’m guessing it has to do with the increased inner fender and control arm clearance that the JL has over the JK, they were able to move them in. Since you are running Nitto TG probably a good thing you ended up with the JK spec, I’ve seen threads on here with people reporting rubbing at full turns on the control arms with even the AEV lift, it’s pretty funny to me, but AEV does specify they only tested for BFGoodrich tires, which run less wide & tall IRL than Nittos.
Sponsored