Sponsored

What Spare Parts to Keep Around

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
If I wanted to buy some spare parts to keep on hand in the garage, what would I get? That is, what are the parts most likely to break. This would be for someone who has say 35s or 37s, does moderate off-roading (no rock climbing). What parts wear out faster from the larger tires and wheeling?

So far I can think of:
Ball joints
U-Joints
Axle shafts
Brake Calipers
Drive shaft
Tie rods

Anything else? I'm trying to have a list of things that will likely break and I not having to wait to get replacement parts.

ETA: this is mostly to keep in the garage. Once I limp/trailer home, I'd like to avoid having to wait a few days or weeks to get parts in. The Wuhan virus and USPS being slammed this year has shown me that you may not always get to order parts or get them when you need.
Although, having a JT, I can probably take ALL the parts with me when I wheel.

I also keep metal strips you can bend and tie off to hold stuff up, high temp and lithium greases, and extra bolts/nuts for the Jeep. My main concern now is having the wear/tear parts on hand in advance.
Sponsored

Last edited:

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
If I wanted to buy some spare parts to keep on hand in the garage, what would I get? That is, what are the parts most likely to break. This would be for someone who has say 35s or 37s, does moderate off-roading (no rock climbing). What parts wear out faster from the larger tires and wheeling?

So far I can think of:
Ball joints
U-Joints
Axle shafts
Brake Calipers
Drive shaft
Tie rods

Anything else? I'm trying to have a list of things that will likely break and I not having to wait to get replacement parts.
Oil filter cap - very easy to break if over torqued.

Sheepjeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
01 xj, 04 Silverado 2500hd
you have a pretty good list going

my comments on your list:

• Ball joints - yes good idea to have some on hand, if you can find the space keep in jeep
  • U-Joints - also good to have on hand, if you can find the space keep in jeep
  • Axle shafts - if you plan on upgrading your axles shafts keep your stock ones as spares or see if someone is selling theirs, i would not spend the money to get stock strength new ones as spares but make sure all bearings are pressed on the spares, the rears you can just pull out the broken inner part and hopefully keep limping home with the fronts its not so easy to limp it
  • Brake Calipers - you really do not need these only calipers i have seen fail are on older jeeps with crap maintenance
  • Drive shaft - if you can find a set cheap that works great, but keep in mind if you loose your rear shaft you can just put it in 4wd high and now you have a front wheel drive jeep
  • Tie rods - yes good idea to have on, if you can find the space keep in jeep

other things to add:
  • tire valve you can get the cheep rubber ones as a trail spare, you can get your wheel stuck in a rock and break off the stem
  • fluids, have some for all the different fluids in your jeep ready, and thing about taking some on the trail
  • rtv gasket
  • bailing wire
  • jb weld

when you upgrade or repair the jeep over time any parts that you remove that look ok but still look to have some life and are required to drive keep them as trail spares

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2019 KL, 2020 JT
High current fuses 68368853AA

OP
OP
PyrPatriot

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
To clarify, and OP is updated to reflect, this is mostly to keep in the garage. Once I limp/trailer home, I'd like to avoid having to wait a few days or weeks to get parts in. The Wuhan virus and USPS being slammed this year has shown me that you may not always get to order parts or get them when you need.

Great idea on fuses! What is an RTV gasket @Sheepjeep ?

Sponsored

Sheepjeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
01 xj, 04 Silverado 2500hd
To clarify, and OP is updated to reflect, this is mostly to keep in the garage. Once I limp/trailer home, I'd like to avoid having to wait a few days or weeks to get parts in. The Wuhan virus and USPS being slammed this year has shown me that you may not always get to order parts or get them when you need.

Great idea on fuses! What is an RTV gasket @Sheepjeep ?
gasket in a tube, if you you have a failed gasket you can use this to make a new one

https://www.permatex.com/product-category/gasketing/gasket-makers/?locale=en_us
Sponsored