Sponsored

What sort of deal should I expect on a 2018 at this point?

Waterloo

First Name
Ethan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting-Gray Sahara, 2006 Honda Pilot Silver
Vehicle Showcase
Hello, everyone. Newbie here, not yet a Jeep owner but trying to change that!

A dealer a couple hours away has a 2018 Sahara Unlimited that is fully loaded (ll the options I want and a couple more), less than 150 miles on it, and 13.5% under invoice. It checks every box, but were fighting over the last $1500. I know $1500 isn't a lot when you're buying a $40k+ vehicle, but at that point, I wonder if I'm better just looking for the right 2019 instead. In other words, it's a deal at $44k but once it hits $46k maybe I don't want a 2018.

Am I overthinking this? No one in my household would be surprised. :D

Second, somewhat related question, is it normal to pay extra if you don't finance through the dealer? Dealer sent me an offer sheet with a number, I said "cool", they said "but it's $1500 more if you don't finance with us". All of this happened over the phone, not after a drive, so that's good. is this just normal and I need to suck it up? Last new vehicle I bought was eight years ago and it was dead simple.

Thanks for reading.

EDIT: I had the % under invoice calculated wrong. It's 13.5% under invoice, not 20.
Sponsored

Last edited:

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
Extra to finance through them ? No way. A dealer near me has 7 2018 Saharas, priced to move, no Gimmicks or Games. Look at Cooper Jeep, Richfield Springs, NY. 315-858-1350, ask for Kevin Royce. Hit the Cooperstown Baseball Hall of Fame, drive a JLU home...

lonz

First Name
Lonz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Order Jeep Wrangler JL
What's the MSRP? You'll want to be at least 20% below MSRP for a 2018.

Robs JL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara
Hello, everyone. Newbie here, not yet a Jeep owner but trying to change that!

A dealer a couple hours away has a 2018 Sahara Unlimited that is fully loaded (ll the options I want and a couple more), less than 150 miles on it, and 13.5% under invoice. It checks every box, but were fighting over the last $1500. I know $1500 isn't a lot when you're buying a $40k+ vehicle, but at that point, I wonder if I'm better just looking for the right 2019 instead. In other words, it's a deal at $44k but once it hits $46k maybe I don't want a 2018.

Am I overthinking this? No one in my household would be surprised. :D

Second, somewhat related question, is it normal to pay extra if you don't finance through the dealer? Dealer sent me an offer sheet with a number, I said "cool", they said "but it's $1500 more if you don't finance with us". All of this happened over the phone, not after a drive, so that's good. is this just normal and I need to suck it up? Last new vehicle I bought was eight years ago and it was dead simple.

Thanks for reading.

EDIT: I had the % under invoice calculated wrong. It's 13.5% under invoice, not 20.
Pass on it. As of today any 2018 regardless of options should be minimum 20% off cuz the value of the vehicle right now is between 35k - $38k. I picked up a Brand new 2018 sahara in march with a $51k sticker for $40,600. Now I'm not sure how the market is in your area but in cali the jeep dealers have ordered way too many so inventory is really high compared to demand. If you do want that 2018 negotiate more and make sure you purchase gap insurance.

As for the finance offer yeah some dealers do "note" that discount only applies with financing through the dealer but you can do what I did if your credit is good. In order for me to get that large discount I agreed to finance through the dealer which was an absurd 6.99 APR but once I received the registration (it arrived before my first bill) I refinanced through my credit union for 2.89 APR. No dealer can lock you in a deal so your free to refinance the minute you leave the dealer which I tried doing the day after I purchased the vehicle but my credit union said they would need the registration in order to refinance.

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
I am a bad reference because I simply wouldn’t buy this 2 year old vehicle at this point. People are ordering 2020s now.

That said, i would want it for in excess of 22% off MSRP, doc fees to not exceed $250 (or if they did, more money off MSRP), and the ability to finance it where ever and how ever I choose without that impacting the price.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Waterloo

Waterloo

First Name
Ethan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting-Gray Sahara, 2006 Honda Pilot Silver
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the advice. I went ahead and pulled the trigger (excited, my first Jeep!). Got it at 13.5% below invoice and the terms through Chrysler were fine so I didn't need to finance outside and incur the penalty.

I probably could have been patient and waited for the right deal, but at that point I might be divorced... my awesome wife was very patient with me during the process. :D

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
at this point in time, any 2018 have to give a huge drop in price ( which in all honesty, i dont see it happening) because of a. the year and b. the 2020.are coming out. you are better off getting a 2019 due to better deal as to a 2018. this trend will continue as the 2020 hits the lot and there's 2019 sitting on the lots already.

Szy_szka

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Durango
Thanks for the advice. I went ahead and pulled the trigger (excited, my first Jeep!). Got it at 13.5% below invoice and the terms through Chrysler were fine so I didn't need to finance outside and incur the penalty.

I probably could have been patient and waited for the right deal, but at that point I might be divorced... my awesome wife was very patient with me during the process. :D
Rather than the invoice, could you post the MSRP and the negotiated price (before your taxes and fees)? Thanks! And big congratulations of course!

shekmark

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Yes
Vehicle Showcase
How you finance your jeep ( or any vehicle) should have no bearing on the price you agree on. Dealers can really suck. I don't tell them anything about financing or trades until I have my price.Regardless, enjoy your new jeep! in the end, doesn't matter too much a few hundred, as long as your happy.
Sponsored