Sponsored

What size bolt to mount factor55 1.5" hawse fairlead...

dblack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK
Vehicle Showcase
What size bolt do I need to mount factor55 1.5" hawse fairlead to OEM steel bumper?

I mounted the warn hawse fairlead that came with the Evo VR10s with the accompanying hardware and the bolt was barely long enough to get it secure to the nut, let alone the washers they expected us to mount them with.
Sponsored

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
Looks like the Evo came with M10x45. M10 is within the 3/8-7/16 recommended by F55.

Maybe start with M10x50 or M10x55
Jeep Wrangler JL What size bolt to mount factor55 1.5" hawse fairlead... 1634658500704

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
Just realized I was looking at the rotated mount side of the diagram.

Looks like E on the standard mount is M12x35. May just want to try using the M10x45s that were included if you still have them.

OP
OP
dblack

dblack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK
Vehicle Showcase
Just realized I was looking at the rotated mount side of the diagram.

Looks like E on the standard mount is M12x35. May just want to try using the M10x45s that were included if you still have them.
Thanks, will take a look. I'm guessing the M10/12 is the size of the head for metric sockets and the 35/45 is the length of the threads?

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
Thanks, will take a look. I'm guessing the M10/12 is the size of the head for metric sockets and the 35/45 is the length of the threads?
It's the diameter of the thread in millimeters. Correct on the length. 25.4 mm per inch.

Sponsored

Chile1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR & 2016 BMW X5M
Occupation
Biotech Sales Management
Vehicle Showcase
i tried using the M10 x 45 that came with the winch and it was too short (I'm also going with a Factor 55 1.5" hawse fairlead to OEM steel bumper). I'm going have to try and find the M10 x 55 + acorn nut.

Eandras

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler unlimited Sport S Black
If you are going to buy make sure you get grade 8 for automotive use. Easy solution is to measure the thickness of the plate bumper and the washers and get the appropriate bolt. Go to a auto parts store. They will have the grade 8 nuts and bolts that you will need. A Advanced Auto and Autozone will not have what you are looking for. A good local owned store will have them in a bin. Tractor Supply will be another choice. Home Depot and Lowes usually will not sell grade 8 bolts but I have never looked for them their.

OP
OP
dblack

dblack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK
Vehicle Showcase
If you are going to buy make sure you get grade 8 for automotive use. Easy solution is to measure the thickness of the plate bumper and the washers and get the appropriate bolt. Go to a auto parts store. They will have the grade 8 nuts and bolts that you will need. A Advanced Auto and Autozone will not have what you are looking for. A good local owned store will have them in a bin. Tractor Supply will be another choice. Home Depot and Lowes usually will not sell grade 8 bolts but I have never looked for them their.
Ugh.. I bought class 8.8 bolts assuming they were equivalent to grade 8. Apparently they're like grade 5. How bad is that?

Eandras

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler unlimited Sport S Black
Ugh.. I bought class 8.8 bolts assuming they were equivalent to grade 8. Apparently they're like grade 5. How bad is that?
Grade 8 bolts are hardened which would make them stronger than 8.8 and 5 which are just quenched and tempered medium steel.
in most cases you should be ok.. But keep in mind that automotive fasteners should be grade (class) 8.

omnitonic

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Willys in Sarge Green
Occupation
truck driver
I used 1/2"-13 x 1.5" bolts in 18-8 stainless steel, with associated other hardware. Pretty sure that's what I ordered those for. I just looked back at my order history from McMaster-Carr. God, I love McMaster-Carr. :involve:

I had to make me a specialty wrench for the back side. I threw a cheapie in the forge and bent it 90° so I could reach in there through the slit in the fairlead. The wrench is......... (gets his fat ass up to look)..... Well, it didn't make it back into the toolbox after the Great Toolbox Organization™, but I'm 90% sure it was a 9/16", which is consistent with 1/2" bolts.
Sponsored