Sponsored

What side steps / rock rails to add to JL Wrangler?

Karl_in_Chicago

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura RL, Chevrolet Corvette, Harley-Davidson FLHTC Electra-Glide Classic
Really like my ACE... Read all the post of working with the body on frame bolts and nuts and you will be able to enjoy them.
IMG_1539.jpeg
IMG_1541.jpeg
IMG_1543.jpeg
Those look great, especially like the black on Mojito. Didn't know they did installation, too.
Sponsored

MacJack

First Name
-O)|||||(O-Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL 2 Door
Vehicle Showcase
Those look great, especially like the black on Mojito. Didn't know they did installation, too.
Thanks.... I did this with my Jeeping Buddy who has a Red JLU as we purchase at the same time.

jordanblaze

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
I am not sure if this has been posted before but I just bolte on rough country drop steps. Install was easy and I love the way they look.

20180729_174401.jpg

20180729_174351.jpg

20180729_173628.jpg

20180729_173617.jpg
soo...when installing, where do the 12 smaller washers go? i'm GUESSING they're used in "step 1" when attaching the brackets to the rails/steps with the 20mm bolts & lock washers...is that correct? the instructions are atrocious.

Jay 13

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
soo...when installing, where do the 12 smaller washers go? i'm GUESSING they're used in "step 1" when attaching the brackets to the rails/steps with the 20mm bolts & lock washers...is that correct? the instructions are atrocious.
I’ll chime in here, as I’ve installed the same
Steps.....
Yea some are used while attaching brackets to the steps, and the others are used now on the brackets while attaching those to the pinch seam (6 per side passenger/driver)

hope this helps :like:

Sponsored

jordanblaze

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
I’ll chime in here, as I’ve installed the same
Steps.....
Yea some are used while attaching brackets to the steps, and the others are used now on the brackets while attaching those to the pinch seam (6 per side passenger/driver)

hope this helps :like:
Maybe they've changed the hardware? Mine only had 12 smaller washers (and 36 large washers) which means if you use em for to attach the brackets to the steps, there would be no more for the pinch welds...also. did you find you had to compress the lock washers to be able to get the bolt to catch enough threads on the welded nut when attaching the brackets to the steps?

Thanks for your help!

Jay 13

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Maybe they've changed the hardware? Mine only had 12 smaller washers (and 36 large washers) which means if you use em for to attach the brackets to the steps, there would be no more for the pinch welds...also. did you find you had to compress the lock washers to be able to get the bolt to catch enough threads on the welded nut when attaching the brackets to the steps?

Thanks for your help!
I’m not sure if they’ve “changed” the hardware....but I do remember there strangely not being enough washers so I had to go out to grab a few more think it was another 4 washers or so.

off top of my head I believe I used the bigger washers for the bracket to steps assembly and than when mounting those brackets (now attached to steps) to the 3 body mounting points to the Jeep(on each side) and the smaller ones for the pinch seam with a lock washer. either way I’d use the bigger washers for the points were it’s needed like bracket to step than said bracket to body of Jeep and the rest for the pinch seams. (If you run out than easy pick up at any local hardware store) I know that’s a pain but I did have to as was missing a few. But less time than calling RC to have them delivered out to you.

“did you find you had to compress the lock washers to be able to get the bolt to catch enough threads on the welded nut when attaching the brackets to the steps?”

Yes but it was more of a wiggle room thing where the bracket had some play for adjusting purposes...but once you fit it through place lock washer on and then tighten bolt it’s pretty well on there with no issues.

and no problem, happy to help anyway I can (hopefully I have) trying to remember exactly how it went from the summer to try and answer your questions as best I can...

Yea the instructions aren’t the best....but I’ve seen worse ones lol. Are you installing these as we speak?

Last edited:

Sponsored

JWAustinVTX

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sahara Unlimited
I am not sure if this has been posted before but I just bolte on rough country drop steps. Install was easy and I love the way they look.

20180729_174401.jpg

20180729_174351.jpg

20180729_173628.jpg

20180729_173617.jpg

Pictures look great. It has a tight fit look and no gaps like some of the other steps. These will go on my Jeep very soon.

Foster_WV

First Name
Foster
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TJ & JLU
Looking at N-Fab Tube SideSteps and noticed Rugged Ridge has a set that looks identical. What am I missing? Is there a difference in quality etc?

also there’s two sizes of N-FAB 2” and 3” tube???

4xFUN

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2-door Rubi. 2023 RAM TRX
Lot's of really good options out there-even for those of us with 2-door rigs! I looked at as many American made rock rail/steps as I could find, what I liked and best fit my needs were the ROAM frame mounted rock rail/steps w/LineX coating.

Update: I decided to go a different direction...Still like the ROAM for aftermarket rail/steps but wanted something that tucks up higher for better ground clearance and really wanted 'OEM' fit and finish-went with the Mopar Performance Rock Rails 'w/step assist' and could not be happier with my choice! These are what all Rubi's should come with standard...

Last edited:

wangdiddy

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon JL
We would love to get some hi res photos of your Jeep for our website!
I took these with my phone and drone, haha. I can email you the originals or I will have to take some with my actual camera. Just saw this post. Did you make a roof rack that can work with the sky touch sun roof?
Sponsored