Sponsored

What side steps / rock rails to add to JL Wrangler?

wagewarr

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLU Sport S
This might have already been covered in this thread but has anyone put on body bolt mounted rails? I read about the possibility of breaking the bolt. Did you do the work yourself of have someone else do the work?

Also, any thoughts as far as body mounted rails go. Are they strong enough for light off road or just a bad time waiting to happen?

I want to protect the jeep enough to go off road but don't plan to crawl rocks with it. I really don't want to have to drill anything and the body bolt issue makes me concerned to tackle the install at home. Any help is much appreciated.

JohnAndLisa

First Name
JohnAndLisa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Rubi 2door(his), Cooper Mini(hers), Harley Sportster 1200(his), Yamaha V-Star 250(hers)
Occupation
HiTech dweeb,retired from the rat race long ago ;)
The wife and I are the proud new owners of a 2-door Rubicon, our first Jeep. We're both "wee" people, she's 5' even, I'm 5'6". Steps are a necessity. We chose "Black Horse" tube steps, through Quadratec. Neither of us are interested in running over rocks, so removing the factory rails was not an issue.

We also got the door sill protectors. Total cost plus shipping was about $250. The door sills don't have sticky backs their entire length, so I glued the ends using an acrylic type caulk as glue. Worked great!.

It took about an hour to take the old rail off the passenger side and install the step. About 30 minutes for the passenger side. Putting on the door sill protectors, gluing down the ends and clamping them took another 1/2 hour. We left the clamps on overnight to dry.

Neither of us really care for the four black bolts on both sides, but we'll adjust.

So far, so good!

P1010148.jpg

P1010149.jpg

P1010150.jpg

P1010151.jpg

NewTXJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
I just installed these yesterday. N,Fab Epyx. Need a step so my little kids can climb in. Fyi, wheels are 315/70 mounted on stock JLUR wheels

162A2D75-CB8B-4FF7-9D84-9C954623AB12.jpeg

C7204E20-33CD-46AE-8815-5CCCDEF6DBAA.jpeg

Sponsored

JohnAndLisa

First Name
JohnAndLisa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Rubi 2door(his), Cooper Mini(hers), Harley Sportster 1200(his), Yamaha V-Star 250(hers)
Occupation
I just installed these yesterday. N,Fab Epyx. Need a step so my little kids can climb in. Fyi, wheels are 315/70 mounted on stock JLUR wheels

162A2D75-CB8B-4FF7-9D84-9C954623AB12.jpeg

C7204E20-33CD-46AE-8815-5CCCDEF6DBAA.jpeg
Sharp looking, all around!

LVJeepn

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Bikini Pearl
Occupation
CNC Laser Programmer, CAD Designer
https://metalcloak.com/overland-flip-step-pair-jk-jl-4-door.html

This is a 2 part system read up on it. I had them on my JKU for years. Quality stuff imo. I replaced them with RSE power steps and that was a 1700.00 mistake.
Please elaborate on the RSE steps being a mistake. This is where I was going to go as the wife wants a drop down step and I want the protection. Is there another brand/version you would recommend? Thanks.

Dvol

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting Gray JLUR
Please elaborate on the RSE steps being a mistake. This is where I was going to go as the wife wants a drop down step and I want the protection. Is there another brand/version you would recommend? Thanks.
I had 2 motors fail before a year was up. Replaced the control module 1x. Failed to deploy Due to magnets moving around. I fixed all these issues myself.

To me they were More hassle than they’re worth. They also were loud as hell when they closed. You could physically feel them close.

Mine were generation 1.5 if that helps. I’m not sure about the current generation. I would have to see new generation in person. I’d also see if things have improved a lot.

Also RSE was Quick to respond at first, not so much after the 2nd motor failure.

I currently have LoD steps on my JLUR. Not quite as low as the metal cloaks. No were near as low as the RSE ones.

RSE May have fixed all the bugs or I may have just got a Dud, or just unlucky lol... Many really like them and sing their praises. I would just research before you spend $$

Edit: my wife is short 5’2” and she preferred the metal cloaks. Just add some anti skid coating or tape to them.

Equitasforall

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 4xe
Occupation
I could tell you, but then....
use step sides?? umm its a jeep not a truck.. only rock rails belong on a jeep..IMO.. unless mall crawling.
Unless you have a short co-pilot that likes to travel too!

Sponsored

Equitasforall

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 4xe
Occupation
I could tell you, but then....

JL FTWORTH

First Name
Clint
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sport, 2021 Audi S5
Vehicle Showcase
Installed the Rampage rock rails with detachable side steps
111.jpg
333.jpg
222.jpg

JohnAndLisa

First Name
JohnAndLisa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
use step sides?? umm its a jeep not a truck.. only rock rails belong on a jeep..IMO.. unless mall crawling.
LOLs! My hot young wife is a perfect off-the-rack petite 2 at 102lbs and 5'. I'm 5'6". We put steps on our Rubi. The rails will go back on in 20 minutes if there's a need.