Sponsored

What side steps / rock rails to add to JL Wrangler?

Robs JL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara
Yes I have them.
Do you know how many inches the steps drop from the rails. I'm putting on a 3.5 inch lift on a sahara and need some new steps for the family to be able to get in without any issues and I was looking at the rough country but they don't show how many inches it drops.
Sponsored

ogjeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jeep Wrangler Turbo 2 door Mojito
Ive beat the crap out of my Roam Offroad sliders across country and through moab. Wouldnt trade them for anything. Upgrading to the Boatsides here soon. I have the Mk2 Rock rails which are E-coated. Seriously stout.
slider.jpg

StrikeZ

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
I just took my JLUR in to have Rock Slide stepper installed and they said they might not be able to install because of the bolt problem and expect to bring them in to have the motor replaced because of high failure rate. I’m having a lift and larger tires put on for this install, they said they will check to see if the bolts are going to be a problem, even before unboxing the Sliders.

damyers8

First Name
Duane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Punk'n JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Got done late last night installing the DV8 slider steps. The driver side went on without much of a problem. The passenger side was a real issue. The brackets were not welded on straight. Not even close. After some drilling and much force they went on. There was one stud that was still too short so a nut didn’t get put on. They look nice on, but I would not recommend. Especially at their price point. This is the only picture so far that I have.

9A7E2D99-0DBC-411D-826C-457A3BA040D1.jpeg

Sponsored

Stickerhead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1997 TJ on 37’s, 2017 Powerstoke Tow Pig
Vehicle Showcase
I just took my JLUR in to have Rock Slide stepper installed and they said they might not be able to install because of the bolt problem and expect to bring them in to have the motor replaced because of high failure rate. I’m having a lift and larger tires put on for this install, they said they will check to see if the bolts are going to be a problem, even before unboxing the Sliders.
What bolt and motor problem? Mine work fine

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
What bolt and motor problem? Mine work fine
He is likely talking about the body bolts. This is the second report I have read (both on here) of an installer being concerned about installing rails that require the JL body mount bolts to be loosened of removed.

Stickerhead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1997 TJ on 37’s, 2017 Powerstoke Tow Pig
Vehicle Showcase
Just heat them up or break them loose and keep working them back and forth. You can smell the thread lock compound they use when you get them loose. I feel for you guys up north. Those bolts will never come out after a year of salt!

trailchaser

First Name
Javier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Moab
These are the same rail and tube design as our JK sliders, but actually much stronger thanks to the extra mounting locations the JL has. We are able to install through the pinch weld, body mount locations using 3/8" thick plate, and into the floor (existing holes) using 3/16" thick steel plate. Tubing is .120 wall, same as our cages.

I can't answer a hypothetical on exactly what distance your Wrangler can fall on them, too many variables. I can tell you that they are absolutely strong enough to put the weight of your JL on to use as a Hi-Lift jack point.
Can you add and remove steps to them anytime? If so send me the link to order!

trailchaser

First Name
Javier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Moab
Looking for sliders that I can add/remove steps for family/crawling.

Any input is appreciated, I’m in D1 but I can’t wait!

Sponsored

Dvol

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting Gray JLUR

bruute

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Sport S
Anyone purchase something similar to this 'OE Style Running Boards' from Ebay? Theres a bunch of similar ones that look exactly like the MOPAR running boards you get on the Sahara but not really MOPAR.

moab19

First Name
Laurie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL 4-dr MOAB
Thanks for the help! Took the plunge and bought the Magnums. I even found the 2018 version on Amazon that doesn’t have the word “Magnum” on the step. Now I need me some tires and wheels...

158AAC16-9B5B-4221-A5DC-EA05420A9A1C.jpeg
Looks GREAT, BikiniJeep!
What top do you have on your rig?

BikiniJeep

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL
Looks GREAT, BikiniJeep!
What top do you have on your rig?
OEM soft, but the Florida sun heats up the interior like an easy bake oven. I need to find some solar protection for those back panels ASAP. Super convenient though for the summer rain.

Ochoa1801

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep 2018 sport S
I looked into the LOD steps a little more today and noticed that there are a few other small differences. First the step portion is much smaller on the LOD. The Roam has much larger step openings. Second, all of the bolts for the Roam are o the side of the frame rail, or up near the body mount. Nothing on the bottom of the frame. It looks like LOD has a few bolts that go into the bottom of the frame rail. This would be a spot that could get damaged (bolt heads scraped up etc) and May also get in the way of aftermarket skid plates. Looking at the LOD, I am not sure they would work with my Metalcloak Undercloak system. The last thing I noticed is the Roam appears to be a little larger and has less gaps with the factory fenders. This is something I was looking for as I wanted to use the as a way to stop the constant rock sandblasting with the factory setup.

As far as quality, they both seem good to me. I think either will be a great addition over factory rock rails.
I have roam, I love, look very nice and customer service is very good
Sponsored