Sponsored

What side steps / rock rails to add to JL Wrangler?

TTEChris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tankcustoms.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTD & 2021 4XE
Vehicle Showcase
Anyone have the rugged ridge XHD sliders? I'd like to think I've narrowed my choice between these and the OEM Moab steps.

IMG_20180330_093836.jpg
Those look nice, I like the added rocker protection. Any idea how the rocker panels mount?
Sponsored

Amart13

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jeep wrangler JLU
Forgot to include the side steps in negotiations. What side steps would you recommend? I have a JLU Sport. My first Jeep and the more I drive it, the more I want to drive it.

Thanks,
Stacey

Just installed the Westin HDX nerf bars on my JLU. Love the look of them. Probably not the best for hardcore off-roading as the steps come down, but great for the daily driver!
133416-b65e2d763239a376f4ba3bb95829df8e.jpg

20190122_134610.jpg

TTEChris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tankcustoms.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTD & 2021 4XE
Vehicle Showcase
Here you go! If your rears are outboard moreso from the frame rail, it looks like it would interfere then.. You may be able to put these on and then the control arms (since these a very high-mounted). Or you may need to plasma cut out a notch or something to make it all work.

Front:
IMG_1120.jpg

Rear:
IMG_1119.jpg
Sorry to bug you again, but I'm working on cutting everything before I have it coated. Is there any way you can take a picture of the center most body mount from the bottom up? I'm trying to see how much clearance there is from the frame to the slider mount. The way my long arms mount there is a bracket inside that middle body mount bolt that is 1/4" thick.

I have already made the major cuts and mocked up the lower portion of the sliders, but with the slotted mounts it allows for a fair amount of movement in/out.

I won't have time to work on my Jeep again until the weekend, so no big rush.

Thanks again for the help!

Bottom installed 1.jpg

bottom cut.jpg
bottom cut clearance.jpg

Sponsored

SHYUperman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 392
Running Rockhard 4x4 Patriot series - angled up

Sn1K9c0.jpg

ROCK HARD 4X4

Peak Sponsor (Level 2)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps

bronx2girl

First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport S 4-door
Forgot to include the side steps in negotiations. What side steps would you recommend? I have a JLU Sport. My first Jeep and the more I drive it, the more I want to drive it.

Thanks,
Stacey
I just installed Tyger side steps on my 18 JLU Sport S and LOVE them! Love the look of the stars which go along perfectly with the military history of a Jeep.

OnNightfall

First Name
Johann
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport S JL
Guys I have a brand new Roam passenger side step. This is good for those of you who received a damaged passenger side or if you happen to damage yours. Let me know guys!

Deleted member 29342

I’m waiting for my Rubicon to come in so I’m looking into side steps what do memeber recommend? Can I just add steps to the Rubicon rock rails? I’m not looking for any auto out rails.

Sponsored

nerp

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Website
interface.ninja
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL
Occupation
Software Architect / Security Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Darn this is a long thread ... after reading it, here's my criteria for getting rockers for my Sahara:
  • Must be an adequate "step." I'm shorter than most and need a step ladder to work inside my engine - which is gonna be a problem if I ever need to do that on the trail. The current plastic Sahara rail/step is adequate for me to get into my seat, but when it's slippery I totally think I'm going to bite it so adequate means big enough and grippy enough.
  • Must connect to body with no modifications. I don't want them to connect to the pinch seams unless they ALSO connect to the mount points on the body. If the point of the rockers are to protect my doors, rocker panels, etc... then attaching to a part of the fairing and not the frame seems counterintuitive.
  • Actually provides protection. If they are too flimsy or inadequately positioned, then they aren't going to provide much protection.
  • Cost $500 or less. The rock rails shouldn't cost more than my insurance deductible. The point is, I want the rails to take damage before my body takes damage, right? (like plate armor) If they take extreme damage and cost more to replace than my deductible, then why did I care about getting them?
  • Lightweight. I'm lifting my Jeep and putting 35's on it. The more weight I add, the more I take away from the engine's power to get me out of a mess. Rockers, tires, wheels, front bumper, winch, etc... all add weight and while I already know my Jeep's got a drinking problem, we don't need it weighing too much too.

So, here's what I've narrowed it down to:

The DV8 SRJL-02 Tubular Slider Step or The Westin 42-6025 Snyper Triple Tube Rock Rails

I don't know how much they each weigh yet - so I think that might end up being the deciding factor. The Westin rail wins on price, but the DV8 just looks better. Does anyone have any thoughts on this choice?

RenoMD

First Name
DC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL unlimited Rubicon
Darn this is a long thread ... after reading it, here's my criteria for getting rockers for my Sahara:
  • Must be an adequate "step." I'm shorter than most and need a step ladder to work inside my engine - which is gonna be a problem if I ever need to do that on the trail. The current plastic Sahara rail/step is adequate for me to get into my seat, but when it's slippery I totally think I'm going to bite it so adequate means big enough and grippy enough.
  • Must connect to body with no modifications. I don't want them to connect to the pinch seams unless they ALSO connect to the mount points on the body. If the point of the rockers are to protect my doors, rocker panels, etc... then attaching to a part of the fairing and not the frame seems counterintuitive.
  • Actually provides protection. If they are too flimsy or inadequately positioned, then they aren't going to provide much protection.
  • Cost $500 or less. The rock rails shouldn't cost more than my insurance deductible. The point is, I want the rails to take damage before my body takes damage, right? (like plate armor) If they take extreme damage and cost more to replace than my deductible, then why did I care about getting them?
  • Lightweight. I'm lifting my Jeep and putting 35's on it. The more weight I add, the more I take away from the engine's power to get me out of a mess. Rockers, tires, wheels, front bumper, winch, etc... all add weight and while I already know my Jeep's got a drinking problem, we don't need it weighing too much too.

So, here's what I've narrowed it down to:

The DV8 SRJL-02 Tubular Slider Step or The Westin 42-6025 Snyper Triple Tube Rock Rails

I don't know how much they each weigh yet - so I think that might end up being the deciding factor. The Westin rail wins on price, but the DV8 just looks better. Does anyone have any thoughts on this choice?
I would ultimately not let a couple hundred dollars extra limit your choices... the Westin rail really goes below the seam losing ground clearance (really breakover angle).

The DV8 while not the best looking seems to fit your bill. Although I’m not sure if this is frame mounted or strictly body mounted (nothing wrong with that).

SDJeeper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon 2018

nerp

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Website
interface.ninja
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL
Occupation
Software Architect / Security Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
the Westin rail really goes below the seam losing ground clearance (really breakover angle).
I hadn't noticed that actually, but this is a good point. Rock rails are designed to mitigate high-centering to some degree, so shouldn't rock rails not decrease breakover angle?

The DV8 while not the best looking seems to fit your bill
I rather like the looks of them. :) My baby's not ugly, lol.