Sponsored

What side steps / rock rails to add to JL Wrangler?

Cajun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Cajun, I had my dealer install the Westin rails, and unfortunately they squeak like holy hell anytime the Jeep hits the slightest bump. ( It does appear that they used the plastic spacers, which if left out could have been the cause of the squeaking.) Did you have any experience with squeaking after the installation? The car is now almost undriveable with the constant squeaking coming from these rails, and I'll go back to the stock rails if I can't find a way to get rid of the noise.
Not a single squeek post install. Someone else on this board had a squeaking problem and he found that he hadn't tightened several bolts enough. I have impacted mine a couple of times and no squeeking. Can you tell whether it's coming from one of the body mounts or frame?

Check out this post: https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/posts/301340/
Sponsored

Ike582

First Name
Ike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon Granite Crystal
Not a single squeek post install. Someone else on this board had a squeaking problem and he found that he hadn't tightened several bolts enough. I have impacted mine a couple of times and no squeeking. Can you tell whether it's coming from one of the body mounts or frame?

Check out this post: https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/posts/301340/
Thanks Cajun. I can't really tell where the squeak is coming from, only that it's on both sides, very low, and didn't exist before the rails. One more question for you: It looks like there's a large steel washer right behind the body bolt head. I expected to see the rail slide right behind that washer, and under (if you are laying under the JL) the large rubber bushing. On my car, the rail is mounted above the rubber bushing. Is that the correct location? (Hopefully my description makes sense.)

Cajun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Thanks Cajun. I can't really tell where the squeak is coming from, only that it's on both sides, very low, and didn't exist before the rails. One more question for you: It looks like there's a large steel washer right behind the body bolt head. I expected to see the rail slide right behind that washer, and under (if you are laying under the JL) the large rubber bushing. On my car, the rail is mounted above the rubber bushing. Is that the correct location? (Hopefully my description makes sense.)
Mine is mounted like yours... Above the rubber bushing. So from bottom up its bolt, large washer, bushing, step, body mount

Ike582

First Name
Ike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mine is mounted like yours... Above the rubber bushing. So from bottom up its bolt, large washer, bushing, step, body mount
Yep, that's exactly like mine. I'll go back to the dealer this week and see if they can eliminate the squeaks. Thanks again.

Cajun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Yep, that's exactly like mine. I'll go back to the dealer this week and see if they can eliminate the squeaks. Thanks again.
No problem and good luck. Was trying to get a picture of it for you but just can't get camera in there without taking off the bolts.

Sponsored

ATXMTB

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ocean Blue JLU Sport S, Red Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
Vehicle Showcase
Has anyone installed the Body Armor Rockcrawler Side Bars? I am considering buying them but I wanted a second opinion first. I did a search but can't find any threads mentioning them yet.

Ike582

First Name
Ike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Update on the squeaking coming from the Westin Triple Tube rails. I took the Jeep back to the dealer, had the service tech drive it with me, and right away he said to "turn around and bring it back, that's not right." They made a slight adjustment of the placement of the rails and the squeaking is completely gone. Great result.

Sponsored

johnwpowell

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
45E01381-5678-4374-80E2-660F238CDE3E.jpeg
E6EEFDEF-ABF4-4370-862E-EE40F9E57164.jpeg
I just installed the NFAB as well. Took all but 40 minutes by myself. Wife and kids think they are a perfect height. Here’s a pic from the back in case anyone wants to see how far they stick out.
Yes I debadge.
99BD53BA-A734-4538-9533-357EB36FA080.jpeg
What’s your wheel and tire setup?

BlackRook

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! JLUR
Occupation
SCIENCE!
Quick question on side rails, I just received a set of Westin rails, though I'm all waiting on my Jeep. Am I going to need a jack to install them, or will I be able to weasel my way under the Rubi enough to do it on the ground?

TraktorE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Quick question on side rails, I just received a set of Westin rails, though I'm all waiting on my Jeep. Am I going to need a jack to install them, or will I be able to weasel my way under the Rubi enough to do it on the ground?
I had no problems installing the ROAMs without jacks.