Sponsored

What side steps / rock rails to add to JL Wrangler?

echelon37

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Rubicon, 2022 Gobi on order!
Yup, I had missed the Barricades that @GATORB8 and others here posted about. there are about 100 pics on the Extreme Terrain website but not many from the side or with a foot on them to see how it would work. Looks similar to the ACE approach at a lower cost.
I've had the ACE rails before, but let them go with a trade-in like an idiot. My biggest problem other than price is finish quality. Mine had rust on arrival due to really poor powder coating, and ACE said they were fine. A lot of money for them to be like that from Day 1.
Sponsored

DewHawk

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLURD, '04 M3
Occupation
USAF F-16 Crew Chief
I know I posted them in another thread but figured I'd add them in here as well; Smittybilt Apollos.

Jeep Wrangler JL What side steps / rock rails to add to JL Wrangler? 282207983_10159126932807669_578049045136117323_n (1)

Jeep Wrangler JL What side steps / rock rails to add to JL Wrangler? 279259181_10159084733332669_439682908760628633_n

Install guide for these sucks but they're pretty straight forward to bolt up. "Stainless" hardware for the plates is absolute garbage. I replaced all of it with real stainless and haven't had an issue since. The plates come in a silver/grey color so I sanded them down and resprayed with rustoleum maui blue. I've smacked these around in Moab and haven't had any durability issues/tub contact or damage to my paint job šŸ¤£. Honestly pretty happy with them for the money as they do exactly what I hoped they would (protect the tub and give a decent stepping base) and I've received nothing but compliments on them since install.

DRockWilson

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited High Tide
I am exploring options on my ordered High Tide (first Jeep). It comes with Rock Rails. Are there any steps that would be able to be added to the rock rails without drilling additional holes?

Sponsored

richk225

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392Rubicon XR 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Occupation
retired due to broken back
Most of the rocker/steps use the 3 body mount bolts. They can be a little tricky to get out.
I have a set of ACE Engineering steps that I love for the protection and look. I am removing them and replacing them with Rockslide Engineering power steps to make life easier for the others to get in and out. There are some rails/steps that you can keep the factory rock rails. Some come with spaces to lower the mounting brackets to clear the factory rails

https://aceengineeringandfab.com/co...utm_campaign=inner_fenders&utm_content=email1

Last edited:

GatorWrangler

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JLUR XR
These look pretty cool although expensive. Seems like they only make them for the broncos so far.
https://www.iagperformance.com/iag-v2-ez-step-add-on-2021-ford-bronco-2-door-4-door

I just hit them up on chat (after hours) to see if there are plans for Jeep. Looks like they would mount right to the Rubi rails if they did.

Update. Looks like they make V1 which mounts higher. V2 that mount lower. And these full length.
https://www.iagperformance.com/iag-full-length-ez-step-add-on-for-2021-ford-bronco-1-pair/

From what I can tell all mount to the rails. Would be pretty interesting if they made these for Jeep.

Last edited:

GatorWrangler

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JLUR XR
These look pretty cool although expensive. Seems like they only make them for the broncos so far.
https://www.iagperformance.com/iag-v2-ez-step-add-on-2021-ford-bronco-2-door-4-door

I just hit them up on chat (after hours) to see if there are plans for Jeep. Looks like they would mount right to the Rubi rails if they did.

Update. Looks like they make V1 which mounts higher. V2 that mount lower. And these full length.
https://www.iagperformance.com/iag-full-length-ez-step-add-on-for-2021-ford-bronco-1-pair/

From what I can tell all mount to the rails. Would be pretty interesting if they made these for Jeep.
UPDATE: iAG got back to me today and said "I'm sorry but at this time we do not." (i.e. no plans to do them for the Rubi rails...)

GatorWrangler

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JLUR XR
I'm sold on these, gonna order them in a few weeks
Been looking at more and more customer pics on the ET site of the Barricade Rock Sliders. Sorted by newest customer pics. I'm digging these. A sale price for July 4th may have me pull the trigger.

If I understand correctly, they come with 12, 3mm spacers. And you use 2 per body bolt to get the room to clear the rubi rails. Is that your take?

Last edited:

swozey

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Been looking at more and more customer pics on the ET site of the Barricade Rock Sliders. Sorted by newest customer pics. I'm digging these. A sale price for July 4th may have me pull the trigger.

If I understand correctly, they come with 12, 3mm spacers. And you use 2 per body bolt to get the room to clear the rubi rails. Is that your take?
Yep that's my take. I'm scared of taking the frame bolts off now though lol

Sponsored

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Yup, some guys have broke the weld nuts loose in the body, trying to get these out. The locking compound used by the factory is tough stuff. I used a lot of heat with a propane torch.

GatorWrangler

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JLUR XR
Yeah that's the main reason that I still have the Mopar performance step Rock rails on my short list. Just don't like the price.

swozey

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah that's the main reason that I still have the Mopar performance step Rock rails on my short list. Just don't like the price.
Have you found anything like the Barricades (angled up sidesteps) that fit with the rubi rails and DONT use frame bolts? I dont thinkthat's a thing.

GatorWrangler

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JLUR XR
Have you found anything like the Barricades (angled up sidesteps) that fit with the rubi rails and DONT use frame bolts? I dont thinkthat's a thing.
nope.

Also, I emailed the contact/leader of ROAM from earlier in this trail and I got no response. So, I assume those are done.

Last edited:

GatorWrangler

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JLUR XR
Thanks! Iā€™ll post photos with a few more angles later. There are literally no photos of the product online! And only a few photos of the gladiator edition on a black jeep gladiator. I should send Road Armor some picsšŸ˜‚

Absolutely no change. The welds are still perfect, the powder coating is perfect and there are no rust spots at all. I have not even managed to scratch up the bottom yet because theyā€™re so much higher than the frame that the rocks make contact with the frame long before they make contact with the rails (thatā€™s if i pick my lines carefully:LOL:).

Also, about a month ago, a driver in the right lane beside me literally changed lanes into me on the freeway. The impact wasnā€™t too strong but I was absolutely sure my jeep was damaged, I thought at the very least my fenders would need to be replaced and my rail would need to get powder coated again. After I take the exit and park and get out and walk to the right side of my jeep, I literally canā€™t see any damage. The other driverā€™s carā€™s left side was all bent inward, their front fender and the two doors on the left were crushed and the side of his red crossover was all black from my tire sidewall rubber but I could not find any damage on my jeep. Upon further inspection and dash cam review, I realized that his car made contact with only the sidewalls of my tires and the left Road Armor rock rail (even my wheels werenā€™t touched, and since my tires stick out past the fenders, he didnā€™t hit my fenders either). Absolutely no dents or damage and I was shocked that not even the powder coating was damaged/scratched on them even though it took most of the impact force. There was only some tire rubber on the side of it, towards the front, which I wiped with a rag. In other words, Iā€™m pleasantly surprised with them.

Side Note: I donā€™t remember if I mentioned this here before but these are tub mounted. Iā€™m not too sure about this but I think they offered both tub and frame mounted versions and I chose the tub mounted version.
Hi David, Took another pass through this thread for steps/rails and you Road Armor 518STP4B Stealth's caught my eye. Like you and @jmccorm said, there are no pictures on these. They look sharp in the one pic you shared. Any chance you can please share some more pics from some different angles, side on, top down, etc.? Also, do they just mount to the holes where the rubi rails mount? how do they work as a step also in your application? Do they cover the full pinch seam from front to back? Thanks!

Update: just found your other post here and this one. I see in your post that they mount in the same way the stock rubi rails do (nice).
Sponsored

Last edited: