Sponsored

What side steps / rock rails to add to JL Wrangler?

jmccorm

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Systems Engineering
I’ve had the Road Armor Stealth for about six months. I love it. They’re great as side steps and good as rock rails. No loss in ground clearance.

6159B119-FD70-42E5-BDB9-6D9083C8F8D8.jpeg
I'm liking what I see. (Yours seems like one of the best pictures online!)
Anything change since your install?
Sponsored

ekometti

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sarge 392, 2015 Cayenne S
Does anyone have the Metal Cloak Rocker base and flip step?

richk225

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392Rubicon XR 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Occupation
retired due to broken back
I did not know that it existed, thanks for the heads up

DavidArmen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
I'm liking what I see. (Yours seems like one of the best pictures online!)
Anything change since your install?
Thanks! I’ll post photos with a few more angles later. There are literally no photos of the product online! And only a few photos of the gladiator edition on a black jeep gladiator. I should send Road Armor some pics😂

Absolutely no change. The welds are still perfect, the powder coating is perfect and there are no rust spots at all. I have not even managed to scratch up the bottom yet because they’re so much higher than the frame that the rocks make contact with the frame long before they make contact with the rails (that’s if i pick my lines carefully:LOL:).

Also, about a month ago, a driver in the right lane beside me literally changed lanes into me on the freeway. The impact wasn’t too strong but I was absolutely sure my jeep was damaged, I thought at the very least my fenders would need to be replaced and my rail would need to get powder coated again. After I take the exit and park and get out and walk to the right side of my jeep, I literally can’t see any damage. The other driver’s car’s left side was all bent inward, their front fender and the two doors on the left were crushed and the side of his red crossover was all black from my tire sidewall rubber but I could not find any damage on my jeep. Upon further inspection and dash cam review, I realized that his car made contact with only the sidewalls of my tires and the left Road Armor rock rail (even my wheels weren’t touched, and since my tires stick out past the fenders, he didn’t hit my fenders either). Absolutely no dents or damage and I was shocked that not even the powder coating was damaged/scratched on them even though it took most of the impact force. There was only some tire rubber on the side of it, towards the front, which I wiped with a rag. In other words, I’m pleasantly surprised with them.

Side Note: I don’t remember if I mentioned this here before but these are tub mounted. I’m not too sure about this but I think they offered both tub and frame mounted versions and I chose the tub mounted version.

jmccorm

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Systems Engineering
Thanks! I’ll post photos with a few more angles later. There are literally no photos of the product online! And only a few photos of the gladiator edition on a black jeep gladiator. I should send Road Armor some pics😂
You know what? PLEASE. DO!

As it turns out, I had called them up this morning with a few product questions, and that very topic (the lack of any on-vehicle pictures) came up. If it's going to happen, right now may be the time. (Without getting into detail, I did not have to press them on the issue. If anything, they were convincing me that they needed them.)

Also, about a month ago, a driver in the right lane beside me literally changed lanes into me on the freeway. [ ... ] I literally can’t see any damage.
Good stuff! That's also a good part of what I'm looking for here (multi-functional). By the way... how does it taper or end when it comes to the rear (painted) fender? Did they get the length right or is it a bit weird like you see here and there with other models?

Side Note: I don’t remember if I mentioned this here before but these are tub mounted. I’m not too sure about this but I think they offered both tub and frame mounted versions and I chose the tub mounted version.
That's the first time I've heard that. I know that they have their standard black coated version 518STP4B (which they recommend for the coating even if you end up painting it) and their bare steel version 518STP4Z, but I'm not finding any other mount variants.

I'm wondering if it might be by request?
EDIT: Email sent. Asking.

Last edited:

Sponsored

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wranger Rubicon Unlimited
I just installed M.O.R.E. Hide-a-Step on my JLUR. They work with existing Rubicon sliders, which is one of the reasons I went with them - maintains the stock look. Functional and when you off-road you just pull a pin and they easily slip off. There’s a spring mechanism that retracts the step when not in-use, similar to power boards - just much cheaper and not as fancy.

8F88DB0B-3F0A-4DA5-B348-2988E8935A24.jpeg

5AD199E7-FA1D-4C1B-B61C-C6D2B3D5C6E9.jpeg

69B15EBE-A774-415E-96E9-7C693BF4EA78.jpeg
Love these! I didn't know anything like this existed. Thanks a lot. I'll be ordering today.

richk225

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Love these! I didn't know anything like this existed. Thanks a lot. I'll be ordering today.
Great choice!! I was thinking about adding them to my ACE Engineering sliders, bolt on bracket or weld on bracket for the step. Thanks for the heads up. My wallet thanks you too

richk225

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
This is similar to the ACE Engineering steps that I have, and they supply spacers to drop the mounting height down so it will clear the factory Rubicon rails only

STEP 6 // Install the rocker slider to the vehicle using the factory (3) 18mm bolts from Step 5. **Note if spacing is desired or with use of Rubi Rails, use the (12) 3mm spacers. Mount in between the rock sliders and the body of the vehicle. Secure with the factory (3) 18mm bolts from Step 5.

echelon37

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Rubicon, 2022 Gobi on order!
Are there any other steps besides the ACE that allow you to keep the Rubicon rails? ACE has gotten so dang expensive, $1100 with tax for the steps is too much.

Edit: I'm an idiot and should have gone to the last posts, all I gotta do is look up!:facepalm:

Sponsored

GatorWrangler

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JLUR XR
Are there any other steps besides the ACE that allow you to keep the Rubicon rails? ACE has gotten so dang expensive, $1100 with tax for the steps is too much.

Edit: I'm an idiot and should have gone to the last posts, all I gotta do is look up!:facepalm:
Yup, I had missed the Barricades that @GATORB8 and others here posted about. there are 100+ pics on the Extreme Terrain website but not many from the side or with a foot on them to see how it would work. Looks similar to the ACE approach at a lower cost.

Update: I thought they looked pretty cool on this Gecko JLUR XR
Sponsored

Last edited: