Sponsored

What side steps / rock rails to add to JL Wrangler?

Jay 13

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Thanks for the reply.

Think I'm kinda leaning toward these at the moment. I like how they have a tight fit and don't show much space under the door.

I don't plan on traversing rocks so not worried about any loss in clearance. My main goal is just making it a little easier for wife and son to get in while still adding a cool look.

Is your Jeep lifted? I'm not planning on lifting anytime soon either so not sure if the drop steps will really be necessary or not.
At the moment it isn’t lifted no (doing it next spring)

but all the reasons you listed above ...are exactly The reasons I went with these steps. A ton of great options out there...but besides needing a step for my wife and mostly daughter to climb in, I liked the overall fit of these.

No problem, glad I could help!
Sponsored

jimim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon, 2017 Tahoe LTZ
I put on the LOD Armor Lite sliders. Also put on the drop steps. They come off quickly if needed.

DSC_0040.jpeg

DSC_0041.jpeg

DSC_0046.jpeg
Have u had any rocks and crap throw up yet? Did they protect ur rear flare and hinges? It has only rained here since mine went on. Seems like they r blocking a good amount of spray so far.

Drytellsr

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
This is all about personal preference and how each of us utilize our vehicle. I tried to review this thread and don't believe the Smittybuilt side armor/steps for the JLU were mentioned.

Smittybuilt side armor is a perfect solution for our side step needs along with some moderate side protection. I've personally experienced large doors swinging in my JLUs direction that were stopped abruptly by these steps. Without them I would have had numerous side dings. The inconsiderate offending door opening people were not happy about the ding in their door though when hitting the side armor.

Now, as a "rock rail" that is a whole other question. However, this is my daily driver with only moderate trail / snow driving so not an issue.

20200612_174125.jpg
I have the Smittybilts and took them out to Moab. They don't take away from clearance because the bottom tube is at the same height as the body frame. while in Moab these Rails came in handy because at times the rails were relied upon to ride over Rock like a Skid. these rails took the impact that would otherwise hit something else underneath. Yes I scuffed them up but that's why i wanted them.

29605 - Copy.jpeg

HappyJeeper

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLURD, '09 Tundra 5.7 4x4, '21 Prius
Occupation
Soils engineering/geology
Have u had any rocks and crap throw up yet? Did they protect ur rear flare and hinges? It has only rained here since mine went on. Seems like they r blocking a good amount of spray so far.
It hasn't left the garage since installing....

tts42572

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon
Anybody put on or have any good recommendations for stainless steel steps/running boards/rails for a Rubicon?

I'm super concerned about rust issues being in snowy upstate NY where salt is poured all over the roads. I've never had black power coated anything that's held up for more than about a year before starting to see rust.

My issue is I don't really like the stainless look as much either. Is there such a thing as stainless steel with black coating or something?

Last edited:

Sponsored

jimim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon, 2017 Tahoe LTZ
Anybody put on or have any good recommendations for stainless steel steps/running boards/rails for a Rubicon?

I'm super concerned about rust issues being in snowy upstate NY where salt is poured all over the roads. I've never had black power coated anything that's held up for more than about a year before starting to see rust.

My issue is I don't really like the stainless look as much either. Is there such a thing as stainless steel with black coating or something?
The armor lites are aluminum. I live in nepa and we have the same nutty sprays and salts you guys use up there. I know cause I went to college in Amherst ny. That’s why I did the armor lites vs the destroyers.

MDRubicon

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK Wrangler
I just installed M.O.R.E. Hide-a-Step on my JLUR. They work with existing Rubicon sliders, which is one of the reasons I went with them - maintains the stock look. Functional and when you off-road you just pull a pin and they easily slip off. There’s a spring mechanism that retracts the step when not in-use, similar to power boards - just much cheaper and not as fancy.

Jeep Wrangler JL What side steps / rock rails to add to JL Wrangler? 8F88DB0B-3F0A-4DA5-B348-2988E8935A24

Jeep Wrangler JL What side steps / rock rails to add to JL Wrangler? 5AD199E7-FA1D-4C1B-B61C-C6D2B3D5C6E9

Jeep Wrangler JL What side steps / rock rails to add to JL Wrangler? 69B15EBE-A774-415E-96E9-7C693BF4EA78

Last edited:

Crusifix

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon 2.0T Hurricane
I just installed M.O.R.E. Hide-a-Step on my JLUR. They work with existing Rubicon sliders, which is one of the reasons I went with them - maintains the stock look. Functional and when you off-road you just pull a pin and they easily slip off. There’s a spring mechanism that retracts the step when not in-use, similar to power boards - just much cheaper and not as fancy.

Jeep Wrangler JL What side steps / rock rails to add to JL Wrangler? Tyger side steps

Jeep Wrangler JL What side steps / rock rails to add to JL Wrangler? Tyger side steps

I like the design, but far to pricey for something so simple.

Sponsored

Pig-Pen

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Occupation
jabroni
Clubs

a couple of weeks ago i installed the Quadratec QRC side steps on a friends Sport. he needed good steps for his wife/kids and i needed something easy to install since i was doing it for him as a favor lol.

these came very well packaged. not a scratch. i did not see any flaws of any kind on them.

everything lined up perfectly. very easy to install. it did take me a little longer than planned as i didnt fully read the instructions and had to go back and undo and redo one side. (typical DOH!)

they are beefy and should be able to withstand some decent abuse. just in case anyone was considering them. oh and they look good too. didnt grab any pics but looks like this lol

https://www.quadratec.com/p/quadratec/qrc-side-armor-step-jeep-wrangler-jl-unlimited

Jeep Wrangler JL What side steps / rock rails to add to JL Wrangler? quadratec-12004.3214-qrc-side-step-armor-jeep-wrangler-jl-unlimited

chellymarie75

First Name
Shelly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Willy's
Just installed these Rough Country Contoured Side Steps for the Rubicon. I’m gonna share some thoughts and a little on my thought process if anyone needs help! I wanted a set of steps that sat flush against the body and that matched the Jeeps styling. My biggest gripe with the tubular side steps was that they didn’t cover the body side seams. These RC steps were perfect because they wrap around the underside of the body and sit against the body seams with about a quarter of an inch of space. Well machined powder coated steel and a quick personal install. Couldn’t recommend more!
Jeep Wrangler JL What side steps / rock rails to add to JL Wrangler? quadratec-12004.3214-qrc-side-step-armor-jeep-wrangler-jl-unlimited
Thanks for sharing!! These are the ones I've been looking at for a few reasons... They look like they cover that ugly seam (I like the look of the rock rails on my 2021 Willy's and the protection with those beefy tires!), they have steps (I'm only 5'0'', so I could use the extra help! LOL), AND....they are WAY more affordable than some of the others I've been looking at. How were they to install??

TPFilm1994

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU Sport S
Old thread I know, but has anyone come across any other rock rails/ steps that allow you to keep the Mopar/ Rubicon rock rails? Really like how “finished” the rails look.

ACE Engineering

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
ACE
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sport S, 2017 Jeep Wrangler JKU, 2009 Jeep Wrangler JK-8

wired

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)