Sponsored

What side steps / rock rails to add to JL Wrangler?

islandjeep

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'85 Cherokee, '91 Jeep YJ
Vehicle Showcase
I went with the Smittybilt SRC sliders because I wanted an actual step as well as functioning slider. And I wanted door-ding protection too. They have the tube that drops low but it is still higher than the frame. They are tough and I had good luck with them on my '12 JKUR. Actually a week or so after I put them on the JK a dump truck hauling scrap metal lost a large ball of crumpled steel that rolled into the side of the Jeep while I was doing about 45mph. It was a glancing blow but enough to feel the impact push the Jeep sideways. It scratched up the slider but fully protected the body. With the stock Rubi rails, I am sure I would've had damage to the tub/doors.
@00Sebby - did you have to take off the stock rubi rails? I know the SRC comes with a "decorative" cover for the pinch seam. There's one review on amazon that mentions leaving the stock rubi rails on with the SRCs but no other comments on this. Thanks!
Sponsored

00Sebby

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Occupation
Ex-auto quality engr & mgt. Now just enjoy life.
@00Sebby - did you have to take off the stock rubi rails? I know the SRC comes with a "decorative" cover for the pinch seam. There's one review on amazon that mentions leaving the stock rubi rails on with the SRCs but no other comments on this. Thanks!
I don't think that's possible given how close the SRCs fit to the body. They would be trying to take up the same space. Also, that would be a lot of extra weight for no reason.

Screen Shot 2020-03-24 at 5.13.52 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-03-24 at 5.15.31 PM.png

islandjeep

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I don't think that's possible given how close the SRCs fit to the body. They would be trying to take up the same space. Also, that would be a lot of extra weight for no reason.

Screen Shot 2020-03-24 at 5.13.52 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-03-24 at 5.15.31 PM.png
Hey - thanks for this one. Clearest image of that part of the frame I've seen.

Sponsored

BadAssBumbleBee

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL Rubicon, 2010 Callaway SC572 Camaro SS
I went a different route than most people, and opted for a removable side step for my 2019 JLR.

I'm using a pair of the Lund, Steel Short Step for Rock Rail (P/N 26410025). They were dirt cheap (under $100 Canadian taxes and shipping included), took about 3 hours total to install from start to finish, and can be removed by unscrewing 4 bolts per side. Removal takes less than 5 minutes per side now that they're on.

Installation was pretty straight forward;

- Measured and marked out where I wanted the steps
- Drilled 4, 11 mm or 7/16" holes into the bottom side of each of the stock Rubi Rock rails
- Installed an M8 Stainless Rivnut into each of the holes
- Bolted the steps on with the included Grade 8.8 bolts, washers and lock washers

Then stand back and admire your handy work LOL

I did have to borrow a better quality Rivnut tool from a buddy as mine couldn't handle the stainless Rivnuts, and I broke two drill bits while drilling the pilot holes into the underside of the Rubi Rock Rails, but all in all the installation went pretty smoothly.

The steps looks like they stick out pretty far in some of the pics, but they only extend out 5 1/2" from the face of the rock rail, bringing them out flush with the face of the tires.

Lund Step_1.jpg

Lund Step_2.jpg

Lund Step_3.jpg

Lund Step_4.jpg

Lund Step_5.jpg

Lund Step_6.jpg

Lund Step_7.jpg

Lund Step_8.jpg

Jeep Generation

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon, 2014 JK Willys, 1999 TJ Sport, 1966 CJ5-A
87331321_658387491597241_3171535141722524655_n-jpg.jpg

87705987_2844098768946542_415505901501548656_n-jpg.jpg
4.jpg
88270059_2348239818808098_5730628576518158304_n.jpg

I am using the Poison Spyder Rocker Knockers , they are great as a slider. If you want a step, they have an optional removable step. So you can have a step when driving around town, then remove it for when you hit the rocks.

islandjeep

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Hey - thanks for this one. Clearest image of that part of the frame I've seen.
@00Sebby I went with the Smittybilt SRCs as well. Have the sequence of take off of stock Rubi rail and putting on the SRCs in my build journal - https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/buck-2020-rubicon-build-hawaii.50046/. Cracking the painted nut from the pinch seam was probably the most concerning, though using that plate on a wire for the front side bolt was the most difficult.

Love how the SRCs look and function.

IMG_5469.JPG

IMG_1294.JPG

And here's some close ups of the pinch seam cover. Works out well and helps give a bit more of a finished look to that seam. Alan wrenched onto the pinch seam. It's more decorative than anything and I was expecting this cover to be U shaped and cover both the inside, bottom, and outside of the pinch seam, but for the overall cost, I'm happy that they provided the cover.

IMG_9279.JPG

IMG_9278.JPG

IMG_9280.JPG

BadAssBumbleBee

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL Rubicon, 2010 Callaway SC572 Camaro SS
I went a different route than most people, and opted for a removable side step for my 2019 JLR.

I'm using a pair of the Lund, Steel Short Step for Rock Rail (P/N 26410025). They were dirt cheap (under $100 Canadian taxes and shipping included), took about 3 hours total to install from start to finish, and can be removed by unscrewing 4 bolts per side. Removal takes less than 5 minutes per side now that they're on.

Installation was pretty straight forward;

- Measured and marked out where I wanted the steps
- Drilled 4, 11 mm or 7/16" holes into the bottom side of each of the stock Rubi Rock rails
- Installed an M8 Stainless Rivnut into each of the holes
- Bolted the steps on with the included Grade 8.8 bolts, washers and lock washers

Then stand back and admire your handy work LOL

I did have to borrow a better quality Rivnut tool from a buddy as mine couldn't handle the stainless Rivnuts, and I broke two drill bits while drilling the pilot holes into the underside of the Rubi Rock Rails, but all in all the installation went pretty smoothly.

The steps looks like they stick out pretty far in some of the pics, but they only extend out 5 1/2" from the face of the rock rail, bringing them out flush with the face of the tires.

Lund Step_1.jpg

Lund Step_2.jpg

Lund Step_3.jpg

Lund Step_4.jpg

Lund Step_5.jpg

Lund Step_6.jpg

Lund Step_7.jpg

Lund Step_8.jpg

A few more pics of my set up outside in better light.

IMG_20200411_132130.jpg

IMG_20200411_132144.jpg

IMG_20200411_132241.jpg

IMG_20200411_132325_2.jpg

Sponsored

00Sebby

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Occupation
Ex-auto quality engr & mgt. Now just enjoy life.
@00Sebby I went with the Smittybilt SRCs as well. Have the sequence of take off of stock Rubi rail and putting on the SRCs in my build journal - https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/buck-2020-rubicon-build-hawaii.50046/. Cracking the painted nut from the pinch seam was probably the most concerning, though using that plate on a wire for the front side bolt was the most difficult.

IMG_5469.JPG

IMG_1294.JPG

And here's some close ups of the pinch seam cover. Works out well and helps give a bit more of a finished look to that seam. Alan wrenched onto the pinch seam. It's more decorative than anything and I was expecting this cover to be U shaped and cover both the inside, bottom, and outside of the pinch seam, but for the overall cost, I'm happy that they provided the cover.

IMG_9279.JPG

IMG_9278.JPG

IMG_9280.JPG
They look great. They're really strong too. I had them on my JKUR and a scrap truck lost a big ball of steel.... like a crushed washing machine... that rolled into the side of Jeep, bouncing it about half a lane over. Just a scratch and a little ding. If I had only the Rubi rails there would've been significant body work.

Ruby Mike

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep wrangler diesel
I ordered ACE Engineering Rock Sliders that can be used as a step as well. They are local to me, so once available, I will have them install.

https://aceengineeringandfab.com/products/jl-rock-sliders-4-door
In my humble opinion Rock Slide Engineering is the way to go. My wife couldn't get into the jeep stock and when I finally get the lift and 37 tires, her getting in just wouldn't happen. Granted, the sliders are not cheap. ORW did the install and it took them 4 hours. But the upside is no more jumping up into the jeep. I still need to add the additional skid plate to strengthen the slider. On a moderate trail I hit a rock and you could definitely hear the thud. Result, slight scratch. The good thing is that you can disable the steps easily. One final thought. The slider/step comes out from the side of the jeep fast and out about a foot. You do not want to be in the way when it deploys.

20200428_142052.jpg
20200428_142038.jpg
20200428_142033.jpg

robd1438

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU MOAB
Vehicle Showcase

IMG_5469.JPG

IMG_1294.JPG

IMG_9279.JPG

IMG_9278.JPG

IMG_9280.JPG
Just ordered a pair of these, your pics look great and I love how they have the cover/finishing bar for the pinch seal (personal preference but I'm not a fan of that showing).

desync0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2dr Sport in Mojito!
Vehicle Showcase
Installed a set of Rampage 26629 on my 2 door JL today.

These ones https://www.rampageproducts.com/rampage-26629-slimline-side-bars

Since there's really no reviews out there for them here's a quick one:

Easy install, they use the the same pinch seam/floor mounting points as the oem rock rails. I didn't want to mess with the body mount bolts or spend $$$$ for something that has threaded inserts for the frame.

For shopping carts, a step for raising the top, sliding around trees or over rocks they look like they hold up just fine, they seem to be well made with good looking welds with fairly beefy brackets and a decent powder coat job with no noticeable blemishes.

I'm not sure if I'd want to test dropping the weight of the jeep onto to something that's just body mounted but that goes for all body mounted sliders though lol

Only wish I have is that they stuck out a bit more or were angled down slightly more, they're wide enough to use as a step, but close enough I can just step over them so there's not much point in stepping on them. They are "slim line" though so that's to be expected.

Overall for the price I paid shipped to Canada (vendor on ebay) I'm very happy with them!

2020-05-06 14.38.07.jpg

2020-05-06 15.02.54.jpg

2020-05-06 14.37.32.jpg

2020-05-06 14.37.53.jpg