Sponsored

What side steps / rock rails to add to JL Wrangler?

alksion

First Name
Josiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Rubicon 392, 21 Sahara Altitude
Occupation
Biz Owner
I actually just ordered Rusty's Offroad rock sliders. I'm hoping they won't get into the body like most "steps" do. I'll miss the look and function of the Destroyers though
What do you mean get into the body? Like versus frame mounted? My destroyers were delivered today. Way faster than I thought. Dropping them off with the installer tomorrow.
Sponsored

Rockstar08

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
What do you mean get into the body? Like versus frame mounted? My destroyers were delivered today. Way faster than I thought. Dropping them off with the installer tomorrow.
You have to make sure when they install them I think it was especially the front you need to add spacers that do not come with the sliders to make sure the slider is not right next to the body! What happens is if you wheel hard and come down onto the LOD slider itself it can flex into the body of your Jeep causing damage! So just research LOD sliders here there are a couple of threads with pictures of what guys are doing to make sure you get some extra space between the slider and the body of your Jeep.

alksion

First Name
Josiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Biz Owner
You have to make sure when they install them I think it was especially the front you need to add spacers that do not come with the sliders to make sure the slider is not right next to the body! What happens is if you wheel hard and come down onto the LOD slider itself it can flex into the body of your Jeep causing damage! So just research LOD sliders here there are a couple of threads with pictures of what guys are doing to make sure you get some extra space between the slider and the body of your Jeep.
Damn I did not know this. I was supposed to have the installer put them on tomorrow.

SnowDawg

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2022 JLUR, 2018 Raptor, 2022 TRX
I have to start by saying mine held up to a good amount of force. But after one outing I noticed they had been pushed into the body of the jeep below the pinch weld and the bottom of the door causing a crease dent. I've read the Destroyers do the same under hard use. As mentioned above, add some spacers and get the gap to be a bit bigger to held avoid and you should be fine. I decided to try a different style in hopes of preventing this again....but can't be certain without trying new things sometimes

alksion

First Name
Josiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Biz Owner
I have to start by saying mine held up to a good amount of force. But after one outing I noticed they had been pushed into the body of the jeep below the pinch weld and the bottom of the door causing a crease dent. I've read the Destroyers do the same under hard use. As mentioned above, add some spacers and get the gap to be a bit bigger to held avoid and you should be fine. I decided to try a different style in hopes of preventing this again....but can't be certain without trying new things sometimes
Should I just mention this to the installer tomorrow?

Sponsored

SnowDawg

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2022 JLUR, 2018 Raptor, 2022 TRX
Damn I did not know this. I was supposed to have the installer put them on tomorrow.
I'd just mention this to them and see if they can add some spacers. THere's a post were someone got some thicker aluminum and cut it and used it. Again, you should be fine for most things, I'd just really watch any harder hits if you do any crawling
Should I just mention this to the installer tomorrow?
From my experience, and from the posts I've read I'd personally mention "you are concerned about the gap between the rail and the body. You've heard of people adding washers or spacers in, and if it seems close enough to contact during flex could they add those for you?" I'd personally go for 3/4 -1cm myself, but that is all based on my old steps and kind of a rough guess. Again, if you aren't putting hard hits on them, I wouldn't worry

Mgg253

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe
It looks like these have doubled in price over the last couple years. Literally double. Or am I looking at 2 different products?
Yeah when Ace sold in June I was pending an answer to order my sliders on whether they fit the 4xe. They had the 10% Memorial Day sale too. Price was $597. They immediately went up $200 upon sale then another 100 shortly after…

I like them but unless they have a big Black Friday or cyber Monday sale there are better for the price point. I’m now looking at schrockworks and rock hard.Who ever has the best deal in the next couple weeks gets my business

Dr. O)lllll(O

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLUR
Yeah when Ace sold in June I was pending an answer to order my sliders on whether they fit the 4xe. They had the 10% Memorial Day sale too. Price was $597. They immediately went up $200 upon sale then another 100 shortly after…

I like them but unless they have a big Black Friday or cyber Monday sale there are better for the price point. I’m now looking at schrockworks and rock hard.Who ever has the best deal in the next couple weeks gets my business
I also just picked up the rock hard sliders instead

Sponsored

Goob8869

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep wrangler JLU
Has anyone used the Hooke Road raptor steps. They are similar to Roam for half price and are in stock

Goob8869

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep wrangler JLU
Do you mean the ones made for the Ford Raptor? They won't fit. If you mean another step, post a link, I couldn't find anything for Hooke Road Raptor steps for the JL.
I'm sorry they are reapers not raptor

Screenshot_20211225-201421_Chrome.jpg

Dyolfknip74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
I'm sorry they are reapers not raptor

Screenshot_20211225-201421_Chrome.jpg
A quick search of the forum shows there isn't anyone running them. Very odd in the Jeep world. They're either brand new or junk. Lol. I will say though, for most anything bigger than some plastic interior parts, cheaping out in the Jeep world isn't usually reccomended. Moreso for armour. Usually the coating is the shits and it turns into a rusty POS after one wet season.
Hooke has a "ok" reputation, not top of the line but not super cheap.

Regardless. Good luck.

CMTAZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLURX Anvil
..These RC steps were perfect because they wrap around the underside of the body and sit against the body seams with about a quarter of an inch of space. Well machined powder coated steel and a quick personal install. ...
35EE6B25-B4E9-4DE8-B307-6BF47FDCDAE0.jpeg
How do they mount. I would assume I'd need to remove my rubi rails, do you need to mess with the body mount bolts?
Sponsored

Last edited: